Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

Sorry this is OT but I can't find a thread for this and it's somewhat related to coaches.  This is a guy Guthrie hired at Green Bay with basically no experience other than a famous dad.  He drove the program into the ground:  (Guthrie has a Tom Arth style hire in his past)

https://apnews.com/article/sports-transactions-will-ryan-bo-green-bay-8de78a3996a5e063ef4224b6fb7df996

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Sorry this is OT but I can't find a thread for this and it's somewhat related to coaches.  This is a guy Guthrie hired at Green Bay with basically no experience other than a famous dad.  He drove the program into the ground:  (Guthrie has a Tom Arth style hire in his past)

Careful now, you're going to ruffle the feathers of the "Charles The Great" supporters here.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zippy-claws said:

Careful now, you're going to ruffle the feathers of the "Charles The Great" supporters here.....

Give us a little more credit than that. Charles can have a checkered past success wise while still having great success at and being good for Akron. 

He's been the AD for ~2 years correct? Soccer is now in the Big East, JoeMo is the football HC, and he extended Groce. He is also adding sports to the athletic department, and focused on building a competitive baseball program as collegiate baseball becomes more prominent. Overall, IMO, there is more excitement and optimism for Zips athletics now than when he started. 

Bill Belichick needed a sub par Browns tenure to obtain the growth necessary to reach the levels of success that he has. 

• Like 3

I actually think most people are pretty fair on Charles In Charge. He's done a lot of good at UA and has also made a few questionable decisions. His intentions can seem kind of questionable as well sometimes. And he's quite arrogant, which can rub people the wrong way, but isn't always a bad thing in this industry.

There was a mini meltdown on ZN when he was hired. He had never made a football hire, or even really worked where a school had big time football. And whether his own doing or not, Joe Moorhead is the head coach of Akron football. And John Groce was just extended in a very school-friendly contract. The JAR is starting to look a little better, though that will always be an uphill battle. There is now a clear brand, which is actually quite important. And basketball, who has been a top program in the league for 20 years, is finally getting a practice facility.

He's a little out there, no doubt. But he's got quite the vision for UA and it's great to see an AD so out in front on things. People were pretty shocked at his personality when he started--and many still are--but I would take this guy over Williams & Wistercill 10/10 times. 

Is he the perfect AD for Akron? I don't know. Who is a perfect AD for Akron? What could he have done differently so far to be considered better? Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I actually think most people are pretty fair on Charles In Charge. He's done a lot of good at UA and has also made a few questionable decisions. His intentions can seem kind of questionable as well sometimes. And he's quite arrogant, which can rub people the wrong way, but isn't always a bad thing in this industry.

There was a mini meltdown on ZN when he was hired. He had never made a football hire, or even really worked where a school had big time football. And whether his own doing or not, Joe Moorhead is the head coach of Akron football. And John Groce was just extended in a very school-friendly contract. The JAR is starting to look a little better, though that will always be an uphill battle. There is now a clear brand, which is actually quite important. And basketball, who has been a top program in the league for 20 years, is finally getting a practice facility.

He's a little out there, no doubt. But he's got quite the vision for UA and it's great to see an AD so out in front on things. People were pretty shocked at his personality when he started--and many still are--but I would take this guy over Williams & Wistercill 10/10 times. 

Is he the perfect AD for Akron? I don't know. Who is a perfect AD for Akron? What could he have done differently so far to be considered better? Be careful what you wish for.

my original post wasn't a criticism, merely a point of interest.  And, frankly, the board's been kind of dead as we await the Nelsonville Calicos arrival in the Rubber City.  BTW:  Kitten Attack still somewhat obsessed with Groce.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I enjoy seeing KD in that short video.  He looks happy/content.  There have been times I have seen clips of him in the last 2 or 3 years where he looked like a beaten man.

Some of my favorite memories of UA basketball were simply driving home and listening to him on the post game with Frenchy and Joe Dunn, preferably after wins of course. I could listen to an archive of those all day long. They had some real chemistry. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Some of my favorite memories of UA basketball were simply driving home and listening to him on the post game with Frenchy and Joe Dunn, preferably after wins of course. I could listen to an archive of those all day long. They had some real chemistry. 

You should have heard them at breakfast on roadgames. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 9:31 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

15-61 is definitely an Arthian resume.

To show just how bad it truly was, Arth's winning percentage at Akron would yield an 8-68 record over the same number of games (even worse without BGSU).  That is why Akron has at least 15 breweries with more on the way.

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:14 PM, LoyalZIP said:

The biggest negative of his tenure IMO has been the new branding rollout. Took forever to have gear with the new logo available to fans.

14 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

There's new logo gear available outside the university? 🙄

If you drive out to Summit Mall or even up to Macedonia, the Rally Sports stores have a HUGE selection of new logoed clothing, and a lot of them are not Nike, and reasonably priced.  Really! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

If you drive out to Summit Mall or even up to Macedonia, the Rally Sports stores have a HUGE selection of new logoed clothing, and a lot of them are not Nike, and reasonably priced.  Really! 

that makes sense.  @clarkwgriswoldsays the Verizon in Macedonia is where he goes to get MAC tournament tickets.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, zippy-claws said:

Thanks, but I beg to differ about the Rally Store at Summit Mall. I was there last week and the selection of new logo gear was very limited, a fact I discussed with one of the clerks who is a student at UA who agreed with me and we talked about the trouble they have getting Zips and Cavs merch. I'm also a bit frugal. I'm not going to pay $30+ for a t-shirt or even more for a hat. My $15 gold "Z" hat from Walmart works just fine for now. I will check again later.

Edited by ewbrooman1

2 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

Thanks for the tip. There are also two Rally Sports stores in the Belden Village area, which is closer for me. I'mma check them out. Go Zips!

17 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

There's new logo gear available outside the university? 🙄

I was literally just on the Akron bookstore website this morning and couldn't believe how horrible the selection is. All I really want is a nice Nike hoodie with the A logo on it and a decal for my car, but I guess that's just too much to ask for. Dicks, Fanatics and obviously the Nike store have practically nothing.

The issue with the U is the contract with Fanatics and Barnes and Noble. They’ve got all that Z gear to get rid of still, and general supply chain issues made this a really bad time to do the re-brand rollout. With that said, little by little more stuff is making its way out there. CLE Custom Shirts, the place selling the $10 white out shirts, has a small, basic selection. I was actually quite impressed. 

The bookstore selection when I was last at the Union during winter break wasn’t terrible either. Still not great, but worlds better than it was when I was a student. A decent amount of new logo gear, but pricy indeed. 

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

The issue with the U is the contract with Fanatics and Barnes and Noble. They’ve got all that Z gear to get rid of still, and general supply chain issues made this a really bad time to do the re-brand rollout. With that said, little by little more stuff is making its way out there. CLE Custom Shirts, the place selling the $10 white out shirts, has a small, basic selection. I was actually quite impressed. 

The bookstore selection when I was last at the Union during winter break wasn’t terrible either. Still not great, but worlds better than it was when I was a student. A decent amount of new logo gear, but pricy indeed. 

The CLE store use to be my go to for slightly lower cost merch when it was Campus Book Supply. I stopped in a couple months ago and it was a totally different store with only about half the merch area and no significant new logo stuff. Good to see it may be coming back into fold.