Game 1: Akron @ Illinois – 12 pm

UA1987

One good thing that happened for this game is that Lovie Smith was given a contract extension. To date Coach Smith has not been able to to provide the teaching skills, motivation, or recruiting effort needed for the Illini to develop in the three or so years he has been in Champaign. Glad he is still there and he has taken over as the DC to boot. I briefly saw their spring game and they possess a lot of team speed and a big T/E, which could give Akron a lot of trouble. Their QB's seem to be still developing and their defense has been atrocious. I got the feeling I was watching a Toledo caliber team, but without the stellar coaching.

Akron will be running new schemes in 2019 so this could be problematic, but if the Zips hold on early I give Akron a shot, despite it being in a big ten stadium with big ten refs. I expect that Chief Illiniwek will have the Illinois program fully informed of the Zips victory over Northwestern last year so the Zips will not be taken too lightly to our detriment. Let's hope for a better outcome than in 1996 when a poor Iliinois football team (ended season 2-9) did everything right, it seemed, and beat the struggling Zips 38-7.           

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been paying attention to IL a little closer than usual this offseason. Seems like they've brought in a lot of transfers. Most of which 1) actually ended up somewhere else at the end of the day or 2) players who have to sit who they thought might be able to be immediately eligible.  Their projected starting QB is also transferring out. Seeing Fink, the new projected starting QB, not being committed is great news. 

We can beat these guys.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LZIp said:

I've been paying attention to IL a little closer than usual this offseason. Seems like they've brought in a lot of transfers. Most of which 1) actually ended up somewhere else at the end of the day or 2) players who have to sit who they thought might be able to be immediately eligible.  Their projected starting QB is also transferring out. Seeing Fink, the new projected starting QB, not being committed is great news. 

We can beat these guys.

Wow.  What a train wreck.  Good think I moved from Illinois so I don't have to associate with them anymore.  This is going to be a nice way for you to open the season.  Win as big as the paycheck!  

Edited by Cykron

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I wish we were playing this Illinois team in year 3 or 4 of Arth's tenure. We're facing an Illinois team while they're down, but they're also facing an Akron team that will be pretty depleted as well.

And still learning new systems.

• Like 3

Speaking of this game, I know it is only May, but are any of you thinking of making the trip over for this one?  And from IlliniZip and Cykron, any ins and outs ahead of time we should know about?  I've got two buddies and the three of us are 85% sure we're going to this game....

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Speaking of this game, I know it is only May, but are any of you thinking of making the trip over for this one?  And from IlliniZip and Cykron, any ins and outs ahead of time we should know about?  I've got two buddies and the three of us are 85% sure we're going to this game....

I've never been there for a game, but have attended a few events over the years.  Perhaps the most helpful (if not obvious) thing I would say is that The University of Illinois is in Champaign, downstate and nowhere near Chicago.  The population of the "metro" is only 200,000.  This means that you should book hotels early because they don't have the inventory like Chicago (for which Northwestern that can host a home game and hardly make a dent on the local hotel availability).  Fortunately, they have little hope for their football team, so that should keep after-market ticket prices low.

• Thanks 3

On 5/16/2019 at 5:25 AM, Zipmlady said:

Good feedback, after reviewing the inventory, we booked a hotel in Bloomington, IL.

Uh, Bloomington is an hour away . . . and the hotels are not all that much better.  Maybe if you are set on something like a Doubletree. 

I see a Country Inn in Champaign for $85 on Orbitz (Fri to Sun).  

Bloomington is home for Illinois State U, not the U of Illinois.  

Edited by Cykron

On 5/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, Cykron said:

Uh, Bloomington is an hour away . . . and the hotels are not all that much better.  Maybe if you are set on something like a Doubletree. 

I see a Country Inn in Champaign for $85 on Orbitz (Fri to Sun).  

Bloomington is home for Illinois State U, not the U of Illinois.  

Thanks, we’re aware; we don’t mind making the drive, it’s a long weekend.

9 hours ago, Zipmlady said:

Thanks, we’re aware; we don’t mind making the drive, it’s a long weekend.

OK, just checking.  Personally, I like staying in the midst of the opposing team's fan base.  It makes for a lot of interesting conversations, especially when there is Big 10 arrogance involved, as there is sure to be in this case.  

• 5 weeks later...

The easiest nonconference schedules for Power 5 teams in 2019 according to Chris Low, a ESPN Senior Staff Writer.

#3. Illinois 
Schedule: Aug. 31 vs. Akron, Sept. 7 at UConn, Sept. 14 vs. Eastern Michigan

In his fourth season as Illinois' head coach, Lovie Smith could really use a good start to 2019, and the schedule is tailor-made for positivity. The Fighting Illini have yet to win more than four games in a season on Smith's watch, and any chance to get to a bowl game this year will most certainly hinge on going 3-0 in their nonconference games before Nebraska comes to town on Sept. 21. The only road trip is to UConn, which went 1-11 last season.

Make 'em pay Zips! ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Captain Kangaroo changed the title to Game Thread: Illinois - August 31st @ Noon (BTN)
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

Only 11 days.  I’m excited for football.  Any thoughts about the team & upcoming season.  I got two major concerns, our defensive backs & our depth ?? Prayers to injury free football ??

Well to start, Arth's first season at TN Chat was disappointing, but year two was much better. I guess he lost some key people due to injury in year 1. I have to wonder if this year won't be something similar for Akron, but it does appear that the culture of the team has been changing, which is good. I like the multiple look defense, but wonder if the players know their positions well enough. Early in the season could be tough with blown assignments and several huge opponent gains. If they can batten this thing down now in fall camp, this team has enough talent to surprise. We will know much more in 11 days at Illinois as Akron should have some success and have a chance to win. It would be nice if the Zips could have opened up with a cupcake to smooth things out in the new systems. I guess my take - cautiously optimistic.           

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Only 11 days.  I’m excited for football.  Any thoughts about the team & upcoming season.  I got two major concerns, our defensive backs & our depth ?? Prayers to injury free football ??

My biggest concern is if there's enough room for the MAC Championship Trophy in the case! 

Kidding. Very excited for the season. We'll see what the record is at the end of the season, but I think the journey is going to be fun. Looking forward to exciting, disciplined football. Illinois is the ideal Big Ten team to play this year, too. No harm in tacking on a P5 victory to what hopes to be a solid season. 

• Like 2