2019-20 Men's Basketball Schedule

ZZZips

• 4 weeks later...

Went down to the last Zip - WVU game at the clam shell.  2011.  Pat Forsythe was still a Mountaineer and Zeke was our big guy.  We got smoked.  Seats were atrocious, but the good folk of Morgantown let you move down to the expensive seats after the 10 minute mark of the first half.... great and easy road trip, less than a 3 hour ride.  Been down for numerous soccer matches too.  Atomic Grill is a great place to eat.  But are you sure you are talking about basketball at WVU?  The Zips Men's Soccer team is scheduled to play at WVU on November 8th at 7:00 p.m.  Maybe someone's mixed up on whether this is basketball or soccer game....?  Which game to attend? :(

UPDATED:  Went on Mountaineer Sports website and indeed it is basketball AND men's soccer on 11-8....the siccer complex is kinda right across the street from the Clam, so maybe I'll get an UBER to drive me back and forth!  :rofl:

Edited by ZipsVoice

23 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Went down to the last Zip - WVU game at the clam shell.  2011.  Pat Forsythe was still a Mountaineer and Zeke was our big guy.  We got smoked. 

Wasn't Abreu suspended for that game? Maybe Tree too? 

It was a fun trip. UA chartered a nice bus ride to Morgantown. Even provided beer on the bus!:CK_brew:

43 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Wasn't Abreu suspended for that game? Maybe Tree too? 

It was a fun trip. UA chartered a nice bus ride to Morgantown. Even provided beer on the bus!

Tree definitely suspended, I know Abreu did not make the trip, not usre if it was suspension or what, but you're right Cappy, neither played.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:58 AM, ZZZips said:

WVU released their non-conf schedule.  Zips play at WVU on 11/8.

WVU will play in Youngstown at the Covelli Center against the Penguins on 12/21. Mountaineers will be at the Fieldhouse in CLE on 12/29 to face the Buckeyes.

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/wvu-announces-non-conference-mens-basketball-schedule/

It is nice that the largest in the State of West Virginia will do what the largest university in Ohio won't.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It is nice that the largest in the State of West Virginia will do what the largest university in Ohio won't.

University of Illinois football is no different than Ohio State in this respect. They are too scared to play and possibly lose to "little brother". I did notice that Illinois football starts the season off against Akron. I didn't bring it up earlier because I am not at all invested in college football. But I think Akron has a great chance of going into Champaign and winning. It wouldn't surprise me at all. So Illinois is willing to play and possibly lose to other MAC schools, but they won't play NIU for nothing.

On 5/27/2019 at 5:56 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

I believe I read it somewhere that the WV state legislature requires the two D1 schools to play each other. Not sure the frequency or sports involved, but I don’t think WVU is doing so by choice.

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

I believe I read it somewhere that the WV state legislature requires the two D1 schools to play each other. Not sure the frequency or sports involved, but I don’t think WVU is doing so by choice.

Marhsall isn't even on WVU schedule this year. Clark was talking about WVU agreeing to play us this season when we can't ever get OSU to play us during the regular season. Personally, I'm more impressed with WVU agreeing to play YSU in Youngstown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Marhsall isn't even on WVU schedule this year. Clark was talking about WVU agreeing to play us this season when we can't ever get OSU to play us during the regular season. Personally, I'm more impressed with WVU agreeing to play YSU in Youngstown.

You'd think if Huggins wanted to play a road game at a mid-major in Ohio that the Zips would be at the top of his personal list.

3 minutes ago, GJGood said:

You'd think if Huggins wanted to play a road game at a mid-major in Ohio that the Zips would be at the top of his personal list.

Jerry Calhoun, YSU head coach, was a former assistant at WVU. From what I've read Huggins scheduled the game to help a friend out.

20 minutes ago, infofan said:

i guess Huggs doesnt consider anyone in Akron a 'friend".

Maybe if someone in Akron had deeper pockets he would consider them a friend.

Years ago, I asked him what it would take for the Mountaineers  to play at Akron.

His reply as I recall was about $275K.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Interesting article on Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis who took approximately 900 shots (really only 26) at the JAR this past season.  Daddy-ball at the D1 level.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/06/03/antoine-davis-detroit-mercy-mike-davis-nba

It was also in large part out of necessity. Mike Davis wasn't hired until mid-June and had something like 10 scholarships to fill. Needless to say the supporting cast surrounding Davis wasn't that great. Mike Davis has a pretty solid coaching resume so I don't want to discredit him in saying he only got the Detroit job because of his son, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if it played a small part in the ADs decision.

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It was also in large part out of necessity. Mike Davis wasn't hired until mid-June and had something like 10 scholarships to fill. Needless to say the supporting cast surrounding Davis wasn't that great. Mike Davis has a pretty solid coaching resume so I don't want to discredit him in saying he only got the Detroit job because of his son, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if it played a small part in the ADs decision.

Mike Davis is solid but it sounds like he has a teeny weensy bit of Marv Marinovich in him.  I think the kid was probably the most ball dominant player we saw all year.  I suspect that Mike benefited a little from Antoine being his son in getting the job and Antoine benefited from Mike being the coach with no limitations placed on his game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like we/UMass BB will be playing a game at Akron.

From our AD.

Ryan Bamford‏Verified account @UMassADBamford

FollowingFollowing @UMassADBamford

Ryan Bamford Retweeted Curry Hicks Sage

I’ll save you the suspense...at Akron, at Harvard and home vs Maine are other three for 13 total. Non-conf schedule with dates coming by week’s end.

extra detail:

#FightMassachusetts‏ @FightMA247 2h2 hours ago

#FightMassachusetts Retweeted Ryan Bamford

H+H with Akron was another set that came in conjunction with a football series. The gridiron games start this year as well with #UMass hosting. #Minutemen hoop should host Akron next season or the year after to complete that H+H

Edited by Steve1981
H + H detail added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3