2019-20 Men's Basketball Schedule

ZZZips

Riak isn't going to suddenly become an offensive force in his 4th season of college hoops.  Sayles showed some promise as a freshman but went backwards after his initial injury.  At the end of the day, the Zips have to rely on their defense, rebounds and put backs and find the offense somewhere else.

I think X will be a player.  I see Cheese with a year under him being even better.  Banks should find his shot at some point.  I sense LCJ is always going to be one of those up and down mercurial players.  Reece and Roscoe should help from the bench.  They may again be hurting for a backup point guard, forcing Cheese to move over at points LCJ is out.

I think they'll be better this year and continue their growth and this looks to be a year of parity in the MAC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am hoping Greg Tribble matures quickly and maybe he can play some point guard this year too. I would prefer to see Cheese primarily at the wing. Even though Reece is undersized, we really need his physicality around and above the rim. And I know our bigs are not going to be high-volume scorers, but I want to see them be higher-percentage scorers. Ideally, Riak and Sayles have been mastering at least one spot away from the rim this off-season. Riak likes the 3 pointer straight away and Sayles likes to shoot from the free throw line. Also, I like the use of "X" for Xeyrius, nice. And I think he could be an X-Factor for this team, especially on offense. See what I did there. And finally, high level defense is not optional.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1

Tribble will be an immediate impact freshman. He’s coming off a season where he played at the highest level of prep basketball against HM talent. Started every game on a team with at least two lottery picks on the roster, I’m excited to see if Groce will throw him right in the fire or try to bring him along as the season goes. 

• Like 1

Reece is a tank and will be a great small ball 4 maybe even 5 against smaller lineups. I’m thinking X will be kind of a tweener he’s a real scoring threat from the wing but you’ll have to exploit all the possible mismatches he’ll have spending time at the 4. I think we have really intriguing pieces and I can see us just throwing 5 athletes out there and playing fast position-less basketball.

6 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

Tribble will be an immediate impact freshman. He’s coming off a season where he played at the highest level of prep basketball against HM talent. Started every game on a team with at least two lottery picks on the roster, I’m excited to see if Groce will throw him right in the fire or try to bring him along as the season goes. 

Sounds promising.  I hope you're right.  I was hoping Dawson could be that guy but now he's off the table.

• 3 weeks later...

I have season tickets and I always ask whether there are better seats.  The group in front of me did not buy all their seats.  I have spoken to at least 10 people that have given up their season tickets after KD left.  Considering the last 2 seasons, I think there will me more blue (empty seats) in the lower level than in previous years.   I hope we have a great season to get some of those people back.   There has always been apathy for Akron sports and then you combine it with losing it makes it difficult to regain those fans.

• Like 1

Do you guys think we will go undefeated in our non-conference home games this season? I think the only possible loss is UMass, however, I think the Zips should be able to run a bottom-tier A-10 team out of the JAR.

Edited by AkronAlumnus

5 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Do you guys think we will go undefeated in our non-conference home games this season? I think the only possible loss is UMass, however, I think the Zips should be able to run a bottom-tier A-10 team out of the JAR.

I think we should see them play before making predictions like this.

OR,

If you can truly see the future do you have the winning Lotto numbers for next week?

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, AkronAlumnus said:

It's always nice to welcome non-MAC teams into the JAR. Especially if their conference is as big or bigger than ours. Yeah, UMass may be bottom feeders in the A10, however, they're still members of a conference whom usually has two or three teams present in the big dance.

They also have some notable basketball alumni such as Marcus Camby and Jules Erving.

They are also a team that defeated the Zips and sent Akron into the offseason in the past, so its nice to get a shot at them at home even though none of the players are probably even aware of the last meeting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I think we should see them play before making predictions like this.

OR,

If you can truly see the future do you have the winning Lotto numbers for next week?

So, just to clarify the rules here, it's okay to predict future misery and gloom and doom for a program but not a game?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

It is not gloom and doom.

It is a reality check.

People are fawning over players who we have never seen step onto the Court.

Maybe I want to do be optimistic and fawn over players.  What difference does it make to the players, the university or anyone else and why does it matter to you so effing much?  When did you join the thought police? Get a life or create your own site where you and your 3 buddies can bitch and moan all the time.  Your posts are obnoxious, but of course that is probably your goal.

I've been to every home basketball game and tournament game for the last 20 years and almost every football game.  One thing I don't need from an anonymous blogger such as yourself is a reality check.  

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Maybe I want to do be optimistic and fawn over players.  What difference does it make to the players, the university or anyone else and why does it matter to you so effing much?  When did you join the thought police? Get a life or create your own site where you and your 3 buddies can bitch and moan all the time.  Your posts are obnoxious, but of course that is probably your goal.

I've been to every home basketball game and tournament game for the last 20 years and almost every football game.  One thing I don't need from an anonymous blogger such as yourself is a reality check.  

I'm sensing a lot of irritation on your part. A few mouse clicks might make your visits to this site a more enjoyable experience.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Duquesne's message board is talking about the players they're bringing in taking them to the NIT. Oh wait, this isn't the place to post about KD? I thought we were throwing all the crap drama into one thread...

I do think it's acceptable to expect this team to go undefeated at home this season for the OOC portion of the schedule. Year 3 of Groce, with his guys here, and what looks to be some solid depth - get er done.

Happy October! ?

image.png

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2