2019-20 Men's Basketball Schedule

ZZZips

On 10/4/2019 at 7:54 AM, GJGood said:

What happened to the coaches vs cancer event that had started the season with the four NEO schools playing each other? I see YSU is on the schedule but not right off the bat.

Suffered from Head Coach turnover and lack of fan support.  Only Senderoff at KSU remains from the coaches that originally agreed to the annual event.  Each team agreed to host it once which has occurred.  Attendance never measured up to other Coaches for Cancer events around the country.  It never raised much money for the cancer society compared to the effort they put into the event.  I personally liked the event, attended all of the events and volunteered for several years to sell tickets.  It just never caught the interest of the fans.

• Thanks 2

On 10/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Less that a month to the season!

And we aren't throwing a preseason hype party with Snoop Dogg!

Two positives! WE'RE ON A ROLL!

(If you don't know what I'm referring to, Google Kansas Basketball & Snoop Dogg. Embarrassing.)

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

And we aren't throwing a preseason hype party with Snoop Dogg!

Two positives! WE'RE ON A ROLL!

(If you don't know what I'm referring to, Google Kansas Basketball & Snoop Dogg. Embarrassing.)

Pole dancers and money shooting guns.  Just another wholesome family night in Lawrence.

As an aside, I couldn't be happier with the embarrassment to that phony Bill Self.

22 days until the opening game. 

I expect to see a starting lineup of LCJ, Cheese, Banks, X and Riak, with Reece, Roscoe, Tribble and Sayles contributing from the bench.    I think we could also see a conventional two guard,  one center and two forwards lineup with Reece and X on the floor together with another big as X can play away from the basket and has a decent 3 point shot.  I hope Tribble can be effective as the backup point rather than having Cheese there out of necessity.

I'm very eager to see this team with hopes it can continue to improve.  They went from 14 wins to 17 last year.  Here's hoping the improvement continues to a 20 win year.  These are all Groce's kids now, so we'd better see the fruits of his recruiting labor. 

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

22 days until the opening game. 

I expect to see a staring lineup of LCJ, Cheese, Banks, X and Riak, with Reece, Roscoe, Tribble and Sayles contributing from the bench.    I think we could also see a conventional two guard,  one center and two forwards lineup with Reece and X on the floor together with another big as X can play away from the basket and has a decent 3 point shot.  I hope Tribble can be effective as the backup point rather than having Cheese there out of necessity.

I'm very eager to see this team with hopes it can continue to improve.  They went from 14 wins to 17 last year.  Here's hoping the improvement continues to a 20 win year.  These are all Groce's kids now, so we'd better see the fruits of his recruiting labor. 

20 wins is very doable this year, and they'll be battle-tested early with Louisville and WVU. UMASS will also be a solid game, strictly due to the A10 status - confidence booster if you win. The MAC is wide open this year, but we also need to keep in mind - Groce is a March-first coach. If we don't peak early, don't be surprised. We'll be ready for when the season actually matters. 

I love the depth of this team. These are Groce's guys. I'm excited. Let's Go Zips! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

20 wins is very doable this year, and they'll be battle-tested early with Louisville and WVU. UMASS will also be a solid game, strictly due to the A10 status - confidence booster if you win. The MAC is wide open this year, but we also need to keep in mind - Groce is a March-first coach. If we don't peak early, don't be surprised. We'll be ready for when the season actually matters. 

I love the depth of this team. These are Groce's guys. I'm excited. Let's Go Zips! 

Need some road wins and not just a first-round tourney road win against a hapless Western Michigan.

We were in just about every one of those road losses last season. We just seemed to press too much at the end of the games and didn't close them out. We should be relying on a lot of juniors and seniors this season so hopefully they will be better adapt to performing under pressure. We'll soon find out.

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Has anybody heard anything about games on ESPN+ this year? There are few, if any, on the gozips.com website schedule as of today.

Yikes.  I hadn't noticed.  The first game listed with any TV information is versus Ball State on January 10th.  

Here are the games with TV information to date (10/31):

Jan. 10 -v- Ball State: CBS Sports Network

Jan. 31 @ Kent State: CBS Sports Network

Feb. 8 -v- EMU: will be televised on either CBSSN or ESPNU

Feb. 15 @ CMU: will be televised on either CBSSN or ESPNU

Feb. 22 -v- Miami: may be televised on ESPN2 (MAC wildcard selection)

Feb. 29 @ Buffalo: may be televised on CBSSN (MAC wildcard selection)

Mar. 6 -v- Kent State: may be televised on ESPNU or CBSSN (MAC wildcard)

The Quarter-Finals of the MAC Tournament will be televised on ESPN+

The Semi-Finals of the MAC Tournament will be televised on CBS Sports Network

The MAC Final will be televised on ESPN2

23 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Just a heads up for anyone that has Playstation Vue. Sony is shutting down Vue on January 30th, 2020, so all of the above games will be unavailable to you unless you find a new service or pay for the individual networks. 

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Tickets are here!

download.png

For a school dripping in red ink, I was a bit surprised by the high quality of the ticket package.  Thick card stock, high gloss, spiral bound, perferated, and die cut (parking passes).  How much did that cost??  And my GA ticket is only $60!

BTW, already used my City BBQ coupon from the package.  EXCELLENT BBQ!!

14 hours ago, zippypitt said:

For a school dripping in red ink, I was a bit surprised by the high quality of the ticket package.  Thick card stock, high gloss, spiral bound, perferated, and die cut (parking passes).  How much did that cost??  And my GA ticket is only $60!

Best deal in town.  Still amazed they go to all this effort for those of us up in the cheap seats.

15 hours ago, NWAkron said:

mine arrived yesterday.  like an early Christmas.

More like Christmas Eve. Today's Nov. 1st - the start of Christmas for some people. Not to mention NEO decided to dress as Winter/Christmas Season for Halloween. I love college basketball season, but I could easily do without the winter weather. 

16 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Just a heads up for anyone that has Playstation Vue. Sony is shutting down Vue on January 30th, 2020, so all of the above games will be unavailable to you unless you find a new service or pay for the individual networks. 

I have PS Vue. I love it for the sports package. As of right now I haven’t found an equivalent. Sorta sucks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zippypitt said:

Pretty much the same paper stock and packaging they have used for the last 10-15 years.  Glad you liked it.

On 10/31/2019 at 4:23 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Yikes.  I hadn't noticed.  The first game listed with any TV information is versus Ball State on January 10th.  

Here are the games with TV information to date (10/31):

Jan. 10 -v- Ball State: CBS Sports Network

According to the Zips schedule on the ESPN app, the following additional games are also on ESPN platforms:

• Nov. 15 vs NC Central (ESPN3)
  • Nov. 18 vs SC Upstate (ESPN+)
  • Nov. 21 vs YSU (ESPN+)
  • Nov. 24 at Louisville (ACC Network)
  • Dec. 30 vs UMASS (ESPN3)
  • Jan. 4 at EMU (ESPN+)
  • Jan. 7 vs WMU (ESPN+)
  • Jan. 18 vs Toledo (ESPN3)
  • Jan. 28 vs Buffalo (ESPN+)
  • Mar. 3 vs Ohio (ESPN+)

I'm sure others will be added as we get closer to those games.

• Thanks 2