2019-20 Men's Basketball Schedule

ZZZips

12 hours ago, zippypitt said:

I simply would like to attend a game before January 2020.

Not able to attend NC Central, SC Upstate, YSU, Southern, Concord, or UMASS? May I interest you in a quick road trip to Morgantown or Louisville? 

I like this schedule. NC Central has had tourney success and UMASS brings name recognition from a solid conference to the JAR. WVU & Louisville are solid, quick road trip games. Tulane in DC is nice, as well as Marshall on the schedule again. Facing the ENTIRE MAC East to finish the season is nasty - I love it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess some people will find any reason to praise.  This schedule is garbage, and worse garbage than we've had in the last 15 years.  No polishing this turd.  Here's the non-conference numbers:

Average D1 Opponent Records last year:  14-20 (would be way worse without Liberty's 29-7)

Average BPI/Kenpom:  210/216

Home opponents?

Avg Record:  12-20

BPI/KenPom:  283/294

Understanding the U is in a budget crunch and paying opponents probably isn't much of an option, this is still garbage.   No one I'm interested in seeing, and probably won't make the JAR until the conference season unless they retire Romeo's jersey number.

I can live with the OOC schedule.  Sure, I'd like to see some stronger names at home.  Maybe I've just become too accustomed to the Coppin States, Delta States and Bethune Cookmans of the basketball world.  We're also in our 27th striaght year of whining about the OOC schedule, so I find it hard getting too worked up about it.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 8:38 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Not able to attend NC Central, SC Upstate, YSU, Southern, Concord, or UMASS? May I interest you in a quick road trip to Morgantown or Louisville? 

I like this schedule. NC Central has had tourney success and UMASS brings name recognition from a solid conference to the JAR. WVU & Louisville are solid, quick road trip games. Tulane in DC is nice, as well as Marshall on the schedule again. Facing the ENTIRE MAC East to finish the season is nasty - I love it. 

I may take you up on your advice; Always wanted to see Coliseum.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:36 AM, akronzips71 said:

After the first two football games I am not really looking forward to the hoops season.

As I get older, I tend to eliminate things from my life that bring me misery.  As such, I don't get why you continue to follow the Zips athletic program as it seems to bring you nothing but misery.  Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge you following whoever you want for whatever reasons, it just befuddles me a little.  I guess maybe it's a loyalty to your alma mater or a hope for a return to the "good old times."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I honestly don't know what to expect this season. I think we can potentially be pretty good in a pretty down MAC or we might struggle to even make it to Cleveland. Xeyrius sophomore year at Dayton was pretty great. His junior year was pretty terrible. Cheese at times showed flashes that he could be an All-MAC caliber player and at times was just invisible. LCJ I think can be good for us if he doesn't force too many low percentage shots. Hopefully a season of experience under Banks and Roscoe's belt will make both more comfortable on the floor. Riak should anchor what I expect to be a really good MAC defense. Hopefully he worked on some hand eye control as if he could just catch and dunk a simple dump off pass, I'll be happy. It's guess work what we'll be getting from anyone else.

• Like 1

After seeing our football team struggle on offense, it made me think how bad our offense was in basketball.  We had no offense from the center position.  We were terrible from the 3 line.  And we now have lost 2 of our 3 top scorers, Utomi and Ivey.  Does anyone thin that Sayles and Riak are going to improve dramatically on the offensive end.  I can dream but I just do not see it.  I know that Big Dog really improved his last 2 years so there is hope.  I just think that we are going to struggle on offense the same as last year.  I hope I am wrong!