Game 1: Akron @ Illinois – 12 pm

UA1987

46 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

The major special team issue was punting, where Akron finished with 7 punts for a 30.4 yard average. And when you factor in the Illinois return yards, the average change in field position was 27 yards. Compare this with Illinois, who had 4 punts for a 46.0 yard average and average change in field position of 44 yards. So Illinois changed field position on punts 17 more yards on average than Akron. That is almost two first downs more per drive.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some of the media were speculating that because of all the different personnel Arth was playing he was kinda treating it like an NFL pre-season game. Who the hell knows. Maybe he has the same attitude as some of the rest  that the 'sacrifice' games are only good for making money and not a whole lot else for MAC teams. Only have to look back to last season. Anyway, Nelson better improve quickly or the new regime will have him holding a clipboard in a few weeks. Arth and staff will try to develop its own players with an eye to the next couple of seasons.

They will take advantage of the '4 game redshirt rule'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Some of the media were speculating that because of all the different personnel Arth was playing he was kinda treating it like an NFL pre-season game. Who the hell knows. Maybe he has the same attitude as some of the rest  that the 'sacrifice' games are only good for making money and not a whole lot else for MAC teams. Only have to look back to last season. Anyway, Nelson better improve quickly or the new regime will have him holding a clipboard in a few weeks. Arth and staff will try to develop its own players with an eye to the next couple of seasons.

I love this theory, and I'm going to run with it.  Will be a big surprise for UAB when the real Zips show up to play.

IDK...I know so little about football, but once the writing is on the wall with a game like that...might as well get what you can out of it.  Zips got lucky with some big turnovers in the NW game last year.

17 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

I agree...and think Lee is right about the attitude towards this one, play a lot of bodies, try some different things, and see who needs to be held over as redshirts.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, NWAkron said:

That first kickoff was deadly.  Giving better teams good field position is deadly.  Maybe be watching the transfer portal for a kicker.

The kicker was just named the UA Male Student Athlete of the Week. I'm sure he's a quality kid, but he didn't exactly have a good day. ?

• Dr Z changed the title to Game 1: Akron @ Illinois – 12 pm
  • 3 weeks later...