New President Gary Miller

Video of introductory press conference.

ABJ: University of Akron names Gary L. Miller president

UW-Green Bay thanks outgoing Chancellor Gary Miller for accomplishments during tenure

From the video, I like Dr. Miller's mannerisms, and those of his wife.  Both he and she seem competent and knowledgeable while also seeming extremely friendly. I like the guy already.

I like that he says he wants to make UA a "destination campus."  It really should be.  

• Like 2

He's 65.  Probably his last job.  Much better climate than Green Bay.  I don't think he will be looking for his next gig.  

I like the private selection process.  I'm sure everyone involved signed confidentiality agreements.  The open process brings in too much distracting criticism from the outside.

Kudos to the Board.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 10:34 PM, NWAkron said:

He's 65.  Probably his last job.  Much better climate than Green Bay.  I don't think he will be looking for his next gig.  

I like the private selection process.  I'm sure everyone involved signed confidentiality agreements.  The open process brings in too much distracting criticism from the outside.

Kudos to the Board.

I don't like the closed process. Akron is a public university, and the public needs to know how their money is being spent. Only concern about the pick is that most of his academic life has been at colleges that don't have a large research presence.

Seems like a reasonably good hire. My only concerns are his age of 65 and that he's already held two other Chancellor/President positions. He won't be at UA for more than 5-7 years before retiring, which doesn't provide the long-term stable leadership that I was so desperately hoping for. Why has Dr. Miller made two nearly lateral moves late in his career?

Here's to hoping the STEM and major graduate programs that were cut recently can be restored. :cheers:

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...