Stanford - home opener

Looks like a GREAT crowd is on hand for this one (edit: announced 3617). Bummer an obvious handball led to Stanford's PK goal. Zips looked a lot better last 15-20 minutes or so of the first half. Created a lot of good chances and played well on defense. Let's see if we can break through in the 2nd half.

Note to Chad Welker - transitions to/from replays are taking too long. Speed those up a bit. Otherwise, nice production! ;-).

Edited by GoZips88
  • Like 1

Outstanding crowd! 

I was impressed with their response to an unfortunate PK. They created several quality chances which is a positive sign. And how about some love for Will Jackson? Kid was a beast out there and played with a ton of heart. Also impressed with Cruz - nice skill with the ball at his feet. Pacheco also looked dangerous all night. 0-2 (ugh) but this group is damn good and is going to start winning soon.

That was just a heart breaker -- I really felt for the boys. 

• Like 2

Great crowd and atmosphere. Good game. This team looked energized. Much more than at Xavier. Hope they can get it going again at Creighton on a relatively short turnaround. Some things to clean up and need to finish but this team can beat anyone when they’re clicking. 

I hate the NCAA sub rules, but Jeremy Gunn used them well. His team looked “fresh” while some of our guys were cramping up. With short turnarounds, I hope we can take advantage of some of our depth. 

I liked the starting lineup tonight, especially the back four. 

No time to lament this one Zips. Learn from it and move on. Let’s get it done in Omaha. 

Love this team. Go Zips!!!

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, malonepioneer12 said:

David Egbo had a great game - in my opinion he looked like one of the best in the country tonight.

Malone's on the mark here...and one other take from David last night was he kept his cool.  His maturity growth showed tonight.  Not as easily rattled by trash talk or physical hits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I hope that many people replied to Sammy...that the team did not let the fans down.  Great effort from the team.   Close battle between two teams....that will both probably be in the elite 8 at the end of the year.

https://gostanford.com/news/2019/9/2/mens-soccer-no-need-for-ot.aspx

"We are always desperate to seek out challenges," Stanford head coach Jeremy Gunn said of the early-season test. "Two incredible teams played an wonderfully competitive game in an incredible environment. Tonight tested our mettle and we demonstrated composure in a tough situation."

7 hours ago, TennZip said:

...The Zips are on the road until Sept. 28 when they face Cornell. They travel to Omaha, Nebraska, to square off with Creighton at 7 p.m. Friday in a nonleague game. ...

The match at Creighton is actually at 8:30 pm EDT, 7:30 pm CDT.

Edited by Zip_ME87

6 hours ago, TennZip said:

https://gostanford.com/news/2019/9/2/mens-soccer-no-need-for-ot.aspx

"We are always desperate to seek out challenges," Stanford head coach Jeremy Gunn said of the early-season test. "Two incredible teams played an wonderfully competitive game in an incredible environment. Tonight tested our mettle and we demonstrated composure in a tough situation."

Poetic and poignant delivery from Jeremy Gunn a.k.a. Satan.

• Like 1

If anyone believes Zips were in a formation other than 4-1-4-1, let me know.  It appeared to me that Zips put a little effort in disguising their formation. 

The back four listed here is my preferred back line.  There is tremendous potential here to be a championship defense.  But for that to happen, the outside backs must play better, and contribute more to the attack.  I believe that is very likely.

In summary, Zips did not handle the Cardinal high press well.  Again.  Stanford disguised when they were going to turn on the high press.  I like the analogy to gridiron.  Stanford is a blitzing team.  But they are getting more sophisticated about it.  The blitz is not always on.  Sitting as close as I do, I could hear Cardinal players shouting what seemed to be code words for the high press.

It does not bode well for any side in any match to give up 11 corner kicks.  We now know the ratio.  11 ck = 1 g. 

Zips eclipsed that 11 corner kick mark several times last season without scoring.  So, that must change as well.

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5d6ef8f6138c092e24ae2140

image.png

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Like 2