Game 2: UAB Blazers @ Akron – 12 pm

Dr Z

Blazers favored by 9.5

"The UAB Blazers will look to build on a season-opening 24-19 win over Alabama State in their season opener last time out. Tyler Johnston III threw for 114 yards on 8 of 19 passing with a touchdown while also rushing for 64 yards and a touchdown. Spencer Brown led UAB’s ground attack with 23 carries for 77 yards while Jonathan Haden had 41 rushing yards. Austin Watkins led the Blazers’ receiving corps with a pair of catches for 51 yards while Myron Mitchell added a 98-yard kick return for a touchdown. Defensively, the Blazers combined for 3 sacks and Will Boler added an interception while Garrett Marino led UAB with 9 tackles in the winning effort."

I, for one, don't feel like giving Arth a first year pass. As a Zips fan, I've been exposed to enough crap. Very disappointed about the Illinois results. At least be competitive-we looked like a high school team. This UAB game is big and Arth had better be prepared to win and not just point to MAC contests later this year as a benchmark. I believe UAB has a very good coach so the Zips better be ready with adjustments. Show me some stuff and don't be made to look foolish.      

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, LZIp said:

No. We never know anything about anything unless something is leaked here. Life of a Zips fan.

I know...I had hoped that it was a "Bowden" thing, keeping info close to the vest, but I guess I was wrong.....

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Interesting....78 players on scholly..7 under the limit.

You can only sign 25 max, so if a combined 30 guys leave due to graduation + transfer + drop out...you'll be 5 behind when next semester rolls around. It is really difficult to catch up with a capped 25 scholarships every year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

You can only sign 25 max, so if a combined 30 guys leave due to graduation + transfer + drop out...you'll be 5 behind when next semester rolls around. It is really difficult to catch up with a capped 25 scholarships every year.

Kind of sets new HC's up for failure. They did mention that the MAC is a conference who is advocating for a change. I just counted, and we have 16 seniors on scholarship. That means we can only afford to lose 2 other players for whatever reason and get back up to the cap next season. Anyways, back to UAB....

We lost a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball and it's not like the team was even that talented last year going 4-8. I was expecting a rough season, but we may end up being worse than I expected. Hopefully some of the underclassmen can use this season as a way to progress so the season isn't a complete lost cause. I'm kind of treating this as a year 0 for the current coaching staff.

Greetings from a Blazer fan. Tough 1st game against Illinois but you get a home game against a UAB team that has a bunch of new starters that are still trying to figure things out. We return key starters at QB, RB, Center, Nose Guard and a few other positions but the OLine, D-Line & WRs has new starters for the most part and our secondary lost a key starter last month to injury. Don't know if Akron was holding some players back that will be ready for the game this Saturday but I do believe the point spread is too high. UAB is notorious for playing bad 2nd games of the season on the road. I think it will be a good game and a few Blazer fans will be making the trip. Here is to a good and injury free game and of course...GO BLAZERS!!!

Edited by HiddenDragon
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, HiddenDragon said:

UAB is notorious for playing bad 2nd games of the season on the road. I think it will be a good game and a few Blazer fans will be making the trip. Here is to a good and injury free game and of course...GO BLAZERS!!!

Oh, that's good.  Because Akron is notorious for playing bad in the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 10th, and post season games of the season unless the opponent is Kent State.?  So are you saying there's a chance?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Nobody asked about the players that didn't make the trip to Illinois.  Will we see them Sat.?

Trevor was asked about, nobody questioned Alvin or Jest. 

Suspensions and injuries sometimes show up on Don Best, but Akron isn't even listed. College football coaches are not required to list injuries. 

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

Kind of sets new HC's up for failure. They did mention that the MAC is a conference who is advocating for a change. I just counted, and we have 16 seniors on scholarship. That means we can only afford to lose 2 other players for whatever reason and get back up to the cap next season. Anyways, back to UAB....

I looked at the roster and there are 19 seniors and red shirt seniors on the roster.  I would also like to know the 16 seniors on scholarship as well as the overall 78 that are on scholarship.  

I think that a good HC can catch up with the total number of scholarships.  Now, the transfer portal is pulling student athletes away, but if it is managed correctly, can add student athletes to the team.  Coach Arth seems to have a different approach than Coach Bowden.  Let's hope Arth's approach results in more wins.  

Does anyone have a clue why Davis, Brown and Jest were left home? Our intrepid reporters did not ask a single question regarding that issue in the presser. Are we to assume the coaching staff suspended them for one game? What was the issue(s)? If we are to support this team we deserve some answers. All the staff has to say is it was for breaking team or university rules and move on. But to say nothing is bush league. It's almost like saying don't talk about it and it will go away. Shame on the media for not getting after it.

ABJ/GT: Zips ready to move on from lopsided loss to Illinois as home debut awaits

The Zips’ offense struggled, gaining just 192 total yards and the offensive line surrendered six sacks. Defensively, UA surrendered 401 yards and allowed the Illini to score on six of their seven trips to the red zone.    ?

...This is where mitigating circumstances come into play. UA played without three key members of the team — starters Davon’te Jest at nose tackle, cornerback Alvin Davis and left tackle Trevor Brown — who didn’t make the trip for undisclosed reasons...But those players should return when the Zips face the University of Alabama-Birmingham in their home opener at noon Saturday in InfoCision Stadium.

[edit] Lots of good info/stats in the article.  I don't want to copy & paste too much.  Give it a click.

Edited by Blue & Gold