Game 2: UAB Blazers @ Akron – 12 pm

Dr Z

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

...But those players should return when the Zips face the University of Alabama-Birmingham in their home opener at noon Saturday in InfoCision Stadium.

I'll guess,  GT asked coach Arth about the players not making the trip after the the presser. Coach Arth responded by saying he thinks they will play, but it's out of his hands. PS I have no inside info, I'm just guessing by reading the above. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

I looked at the roster and there are 19 seniors and red shirt seniors on the roster.  I would also like to know the 16 seniors on scholarship as well as the overall 78 that are on scholarship.  

I think that a good HC can catch up with the total number of scholarships.  Now, the transfer portal is pulling student athletes away, but if it is managed correctly, can add student athletes to the team.  Coach Arth seems to have a different approach than Coach Bowden.  Let's hope Arth's approach results in more wins.  

See attached for what I'm confident in is a very accurate 78. I haven't gotten around to updating the positions/walks-ons yet. I don't think there is much Coach Arth can do. Rules are rules. Look no further than the roster additions this year to see Arth took full advantage of the rules.

Signed 22 on NSD: https://247sports.com/college/akron/Season/2019-Football/Commits/ Assuming Romenick (the punter) isn't on scholly yet as he isn't starting. That has us at 21. All of them made it to campus, which is a big change from prior years.

Added Demetrick Watts

Added John Mitchell

Added Julian Hicks

Added Jaquize Cross.

There's your 25.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Usually suspensions like these have nothing to do with the coaching staff. Most likely violations of NCAA rules. That's why there is no information available.

If no outsiders know what the suspensions are for how can you say that suspensions like these usually have nothing to do with the coaching staff?

Seems like the cause of most suspensions is violation of team rules (which directly involves the coaching staff) , and usually doesn't have anything to do with violation of NCAA rules.

Just wondering how, out of all the possibilities (academic issues, legal problems, team rule violation, etc) you conclude that in this case NCAA violations are the root cause.

After one week of watching the Zips get manhandled by a Big10 program, I will offer the following thoughts regarding this week's match up with the Blazers -

• I don't think the Blazers are good. You don't give up 19 points to Alabama State, and get shut out in the second half of your home game against Alabama State, if you're good.
  • You also don't get 39,000 people to show up at your home opener, and build a 172 million dollar new stadium (opening next year) if you completely suck. I would expect a much better effort out of both the Zips and Blazers this week.
  • Looking forward to watching Bubba this week. He was the one guy that repeatedly played with the speed and aggression to win the Illinois game. Other guys had their moments, but in an absolutely unwatchable game, Bubba almost made it worth watching.
  • We need the three Week 1 "non-travelling" Zips seniors to travel to InfoCision on  Saturday.  If we don't have those guys we can lose to anybody. Council + Brown on the o-line will make a world of difference in both the running and passing game. If we only have Council again, look for another Milwee-esque day running the ball.
  • Jest is a handful at nose tackle. No one that we put at nose tackle last week was a handful. 20-or-so snaps from Jest on Saturday would be really nice to see.
  • Alvin Davis almost single-handedly beat Northwestern last season. Last week we replaced him with a true freshman. BIG drop off. Get AD back in the secondary and you'll see an entirely different Zips defense Saturday.
  • Unfortunately, none of our WR's stood out. Boogie was a non-factor. Stewart was "ok." Michael Mathison was a pleasant surprise (hope he's healthy this week).I have to assume that Williams missing the entire spring prompted Arth to ease him into game action Saturday? I expect a heavier dose of Dre Williams on Saturday afternoon. 
  • If I were in the media, I'd be asking about the punting game. Does Wieland get another game to prove he can kick like HS? Or does our Freshman punter make his home debut?

IMO - our chance to win the game rests on the four non-factor players from last week actually playing (I threw Dre Williams in as a non-player too). A 42-3 shellacking will cause a lot of locals to say "Yep...same old Akron," so Arth and Company need to come out this week with a sense of urgency and try to make a statement. However unfair it might be to Arth's unenviable situation of taking over a 4-8 program, a 31-9 home loss to the Blazers would put Joe Akron in yet another fall coma. 

If the four absentees play this week, Zips win 31-27. 

If we field the team we fielded @ Illinois - Zips lose 34-16.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

After one week of watching the Zips get manhandled by a Big10 program, I will offer the following thoughts regarding this week's match up with the Blazers -

• I don't think the Blazers are good. You don't give up 19 points to Alabama State, and get shut out in the second half of your home game against Alabama State, if you're good.
  • You also don't get 39,000 people to show up at your home opener, and build a 172 million dollar new stadium (opening next year) if you completely suck. I would expect a much better effort out of both the Zips and Blazers this week.
  • Looking forward to watching Bubba this week. He was the one guy that repeatedly played with the speed and aggression to win the Illinois game. Other guys had their moments, but in an absolutely unwatchable game, Bubba almost made it worth watching.
  • We need the three Week 1 "non-travelling" Zips seniors to travel to InfoCision on  Saturday.  If we don't have those guys we can lose to anybody. Council + Brown on the o-line will make a world of difference in both the running and passing game. If we only have Council again, look for another Milwee-esque day running the ball.
  • Jest is a handful at nose tackle. No one that we put at nose tackle last week was a handful. 20-or-so snaps from Jest on Saturday would be really nice to see.
  • Alvin Davis almost single-handedly beat Northwestern last season. Last week we replaced him with a true freshman. BIG drop off. Get AD back in the secondary and you'll see an entirely different Zips defense Saturday.
  • Unfortunately, none of our WR's stood out. Boogie was a non-factor. Stewart was "ok." Michael Mathison was a pleasant surprise (hope he's healthy this week).I have to assume that Williams missing the entire spring prompted Arth to ease him into game action Saturday? I expect a heavier dose of Dre Williams on Saturday afternoon. 
  • If I were in the media, I'd be asking about the punting game. Does Wieland get another game to prove he can kick like HS? Or does our Freshman punter make his home debut?

IMO - our chance to win the game rests on the four non-factor players from last week actually playing (I threw Dre Williams in as a non-player too). A 42-3 shellacking will cause a lot of locals to say "Yep...same old Akron," so Arth and Company need to come out this week with a sense of urgency and try to make a statement. However unfair it might be to Arth's unenviable situation of taking over a 4-8 program, a 31-9 home loss to the Blazers would put Joe Akron in yet another fall coma. 

If the four absentees play this week, Zips win 31-27. 

If we field the team we fielded @ Illinois - Zips lose 34-16.

I do not know if the Blazers are good, but what is the point spread?  Although I hope they are wrong, Vegas is usually correct when money is involved.

I agree that Bubba played well, just like the undersized player he is and how he played in high school.  You cannot measure the size of one's heart.  

I agree that Brown will make a world of difference.

Did you watch the games from last year that Jest played in?  He actually did much better a couple of years ago before he left the program.  Last year, he had very few tackles and got pushed around like a 180 lb lineman, not a 300 pounder.  

AD is fantastic.

WR's did not stand out, but that was a function of the lack of QB, RB, and OL play .  Also, I question the rotation

One of my questions was the RB rotation.  Where was Floyd, White, and Hayes Patrick.  Maybe I missed them, but I did not see any production. 

I will be there in full force on Saturday.  Maybe the fact that they are playing at home will spark the adrenaline and enthusiasm.  But my hopes for the season are pretty grim.  The fact that they were ranked 127 out of the approximately 130 FBS teams in the preseason does not show that the program is on the upswing.  Let's hope that Coach Arth turns the Zip fortunes positive.  

Go Zips!!!! 

On 9/4/2019 at 1:03 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

They are defending Conference Champions and did win the Cheribundi Cherry Bowl last year.....they are not a pushover as some here suggested earlier...not you Cap'n.

16 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

They are defending Conference Champions and did win the Cheribundi Cherry Bowl last year.....they are not a pushover as some here suggested earlier...not you Cap'n.

I could be off base, but my understanding is that they lost a ton with that senior class. I *think* that senior class may have been the class who joined the program the first year it was announced back and was granted an extra year of eligibility because UAB wasn't playing any games that year.  I believe there is a lack of experience for them this year and a lot of holes that need filled. Not saying they are going to have a regression to the mean for sure, but the facts and the result last week against a low tier FCS school seem to hint that. I'd bet they are closer to an Akron this year than last year's UAB team.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, HiddenDragon said:

Greetings from a Blazer fan. Tough 1st game against Illinois but you get a home game against a UAB team that has a bunch of new starters that are still trying to figure things out. We return key starters at QB, RB, Center, Nose Guard and a few other positions but the OLine, D-Line & WRs has new starters for the most part and our secondary lost a key starter last month to injury. Don't know if Akron was holding some players back that will be ready for the game this Saturday but I do believe the point spread is too high. UAB is notorious for playing bad 2nd games of the season on the road. I think it will be a good game and a few Blazer fans will be making the trip. Here is to a good and injury free game and of course...GO BLAZERS!!!

Welcome HD! We're hoping a few Zips fans make the trip to InfoCision tomorrow as well! ?

• Like 1