Game 2: UAB Blazers @ Akron – 12 pm

Dr Z

Must we go through this evverrrrrrry time with a new coach?  Anyone who thought this was going to be a smooth transition was wildly overly optimistic.  I do agree that the discipline related errors are concerning but it's way too early to assess the staff.

Rome wasn't built in a day.  Hell, I was there last week and they're still not done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I've seen nothing so far this season to be positive about, especially considering this is at the expense of the premature sacking of the most successful D-1 coach we've ever had. Hence, my current negative disposition.

I guess most NEO sports fans are perpetually happy with the prospects of starting over again might bring. I'm not among them.

Amen.  Our financially strapped university is eating the contract of the most successful D-1 coach in school's history.  Two bowl games.  First Bowl game win.  First MACC appearance in a decade.  First Big-10 win (too bad it was in during a bad season).

I said it before, I'll say it again...I hope I'm wrong on Tom Arth.  I really, really, really don't want to say I told you so.  But we got rid of the best D-1 coach in school history for a guy who coached at FCS Chattanooga to a spectacular 9-13 record.

The Dark Times, I fear, are indeed back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bowden had only 1 winning season in his entire tenure here. You guys are making it sound like we fired Bobby Bowden. He needed to go. Arth may or may not end up doing worse, time will tell, but I'd rather the program strive to try to be great (even if it fails at achieving it) than just settling for 5-7 seasons.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

OMG!

Total ineptitude

Kickers that can't kick, punters that can't punt, Dbacks with no clue (maybe because of no pressure generated up front), ineffective offense.

We will be hard-pressed to win a game this year.

I have found something positive to say; UAB did not get a return on either our 5 or 31 yard punt.

I turned the game off after the 85 yard touchdown pass in the 3rd quarter.  I have heard of 2 deep safeties and one deep safety but having nobody deep.  Our safety was 15 yards from the line of scrimmage looking at the quarter back while the receivers were completing passes behind him in the deep middle of the field.  ( one touchdown pass was dropped)  Did anybody else notice the separation between the receivers and the defensive back on the touchdown passes.  No pass rush and a wide open deep middle of the field may not be a recipe for success. 

I thought the run defense was the highlight of the game.  The linebackers made some nice plays.

Our rushing game looked the same as last year.  Pathetic.

I thought when they put Kato under center on 4th and a foot they would have a quartback sneak.  Kato is a good runner and could gain a half a yard.  I was wrong.

The extra point and missed field goal were not even close.  I have never seen a five yard punt before.    

I was hoping for a better prepared team but this does look like a long season.

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but it looked obvious that the Zips were geared up to stop the run so UAB adjusted and went over the top. Shouldn't we have mixed it up a bit more and defended against the long ball when they showed this tendency? Also we could not block their #1 so maybe roll out Kato all day long so he doesn't get killed. Maybe some razzle dazzle trick plays to get them off balance and chip away at their confidence. IDK - it looked like their defense knew what we were doing and stuffed it and their offense adjusted and just threw for long balls all day. Maybe Arth should cover his mouth when calling in plays. LOL           

I'd like to get the opinion of a few 18 ear old football players in Ohio about whether they even knew who Bowden was, or is.  Not to mention the 80+ year old defensive coordinator and his all over 60 staff, except Milwie.  It's great that all of these posters want to resurrect Bowden, but as Kreed said, what did he really do here, except make all of you think mediocrity was a good thing.  Another season of geriatric guys recruiting from out of state and bringing in 5th year seniors and transfers would have made alll of you happy..at 5-7.  How about a fe area HS players opinions on who they's like to play for?

I am willing to give Arth a chance like I did Groce. Groce is now in his 3rd year and has 99% his own players and has no excuse.   Frankly, where our ADs failed over the years is that they weren't mercenary enough in their firings.  Bowden should have been gone a year earlier and the same with Dambrot.  But the university doesn't have the luxury of buying out contracts like Notre Dame does.

Edited by NWAkron

Also, UAB, Troy, and Illinois aren't Morgan State, Towson, Tennessee Tech, etc.  Bowden padded his record with a few of those.  What was Bowdens first year record?  Cherry Bowl?  Big win at NW because of some interceptions then almost blew it because he couldn't run out the clock properly.   Who beat Michigan?  App State did.  Did we beat App State at home?  No.  How did the Iowa State series turn out?

Edited by NWAkron
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Also, UAB, Troy, and Illinois aren't Morgan State, Towson, Tennessee Tech, etc.  Bowden padded his record with a few of those.  What was Bowdens first year record?  Cherry Bowl?  Big win at NW because of some interceptions then almost blew it because he couldn't run out the clock properly.   Who beat Michigan?  App State did.  Did we beat App State at home?  No.  How did the Iowa State series turn out?

Doesn't matter because we have Arth now for long time. I think he will turn it around someday, but I may need back off a bit as I'm not ready to suffer through the interim. Your argument about Bowden has holes as he has our best FBS record, our only bowl victory, our only Big 10 win (in the modern era lol), and has handled our rival. Go Zips - they will be OK again someday - maybe a victory next week.

Bigger questions to me are where are: the RB White, DB Lubin, RT Muldowney. I would think these guys could help.           

Edited by UA1987

There is zero to be optimistic about this season. I must have missed it somewhere, but where is Alvin Davis?

The hashtags are the lamest I have ever seen a football team use. #ourway and #heretodevelop

There are some who continually spout their ignorant criticisms about Bowden's age and southern roots, but the Zips have taken several steps backwards. Larry William's should lose his job. 

• Like 1

I want some of what you'll are smokin' if you didn't think this team was going to take some lumps this year. I admit, I had a bit of blind faith/hope that Arth would immediately turnaround the ship, but its really unfair to expect that. Unfortunately, it's looking like this season is going to be a tough one to sit through. We weren't picked to finish 5th in our division or win 3/4 games by Vegas for no reason.

Positives: The team didn't quit today and ended up making the score respectable. Burkhart had a great game. Nice to see Riley with the INT after getting picked on. He's a player we will need to come along. Kato looked much better than last week. Bubba and Lako were sound...though I think it might be a better move to put another LB on the field and take off a less experienced DB.

On the other hand, special teams was really abysmal. Placekicking, punting, and the return game. We need more consistency in each phase. Our O-line is still a big issue.,,the running game isn't having any more success than last year. We are playing an unproven player at RT with a giant club on his hand because we have to. We've got 6 lineman capable of playing right now (not counting true freshmen as I don't think its fair to expect any of them to contribute), and I feel like it wouldn't take much to upgrade some of those positions, we just don't have it. The defensive line did better in the run game today. We need to find a way to get more pressure on the QB though, especially considering the lack of experience in the secondary. To the secondary, we played at least 3 players at the safety position next to Featherstone today, two of which are true freshman and the other doesn't have much experience. I'd probably roll with Jacobs to be honest. Need some experienced players to help our green CBs over the top.

Other observations - RBs Reese, Hayes-Patrick, and White not dressed, but on the sideline. 4th highest rated recruit, Daniel LaVelle, no longer appears on the roster and I didn't see him on the sideline - at least in a jersey. I'd like to see more Hicks and Williams, but its tough to take away playing time from Stewart and Burkhart, one of the few good problems we have. Swapping Boogie for Williams might be the sweet spot. Brandon Lee is a nice player and certainly has a role on our team, but I don't know if he should be leading RBs in snaps - sure seemed like he did. They look to be making our high rated recruit, Corey Thomas, a LB. He was dressed but hasn't played in either game. I would like to see more out of our tight end position, whether it be blocking or receiving. Johns was the only player in the game who I think might be out for a while from injury. Council also left but it didn't look too serious judging from the sideline. Nate Stewart is also quickly becoming one of my favorite Zips....great display of leadership on the sidelines after Boogie's punt muff. Coach has 2 games of tape on his players. We need to start settling in on who we are going to roll with going forward. No more mass rotations at WR and DL. Need our best on the field and give them breaks as needed.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

There is zero to be optimistic about this season. I must have missed it somewhere, but where is Alvin Davis?

The hashtags are the lamest I have ever seen a football team use. #ourway and #heretodevelop

There are some who continually spout their ignorant criticisms about Bowden's age and southern roots, but the Zips have taken several steps backwards. Larry William's should lose his job. 

Davis was literally on the field all day.

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Bowden had only 1 winning season in his entire tenure here. You guys are making it sound like we fired Bobby Bowden. He needed to go. Arth may or may not end up doing worse, time will tell, but I'd rather the program strive to try to be great (even if it fails at achieving it) than just settling for 5-7 seasons.

And you're acting as if Akron Football was some sort of powerhouse that has winning seasons on the regular, and the Bowden years were a tick in the wrong direction.

Oh wait...