2020 recruiting

Soccer recruiting is completely different than football recruiting.  I’m not sure of the exact numbers but I would guess if you would look at the top 25 high school soccer players only probably about 20-25% actually go to college while the remaining go pro in some capacity.  College soccer recruiting is different than when Porter was here and most of those same high schoolers went to college albeit for a year or two.  I think college soccer recruiting is similar to college basketball recruiting.  College basketball recruiting is changing and now some of the top high schoolers and going to the G-League.  Even if you get a 5 star recruit in basketball they will only be in college for a year.  So that is what makes it so difficult to recruit in the college soccer game.  Top kids are going pro and also the college soccer game is different than the pro game.  One other item, you don’t even get 11 scholarships in college soccer, it is something like 9.1 or some strange number like that.  So here is the dilemma, go after the few 5 stars and 4 stars that make it to college but knowing that they won’t be in the program long or go after the 3 and 2 stars and try to develop them because they will be in the program longer.  Also one key here is foreign players.  If you get a foreign player they might be able to get a scholarship under a different program than a soccer scholarship which keeps a scholarship for another player.  In addition the foreign academy system is significantly better than any US system.  So if you notice that is why there are a bunch of foreign players playing college soccer.  They aren’t quite good enough to go pro in their country but they can continue to play in the US and get an education and maybe play in then MLS one day.  Lastly, the college recruiting sites are a crapshoot.  Unlike college football recruiting in which a recruit is analyzed and analyzed and analyzed at a young age, there really aren’t that many websites that have the money to actually rate recruits.  So sometimes I would take the star number with a grain of salt.  That being said I completely agree with you and wish we would get more 5 star recruits, I just think that is a thing of the past even for a good college program.  I am curious to hear other thoughts on this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm much more familiar with football recruiting, so I've got a potentially stupid question.  I see a lot of 2-star recruits, but with our soccer program being a sincere national power, shouldn't we be signing 4 & 5-star players?  

Yes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Soccer recruiting is completely different than football recruiting.  I’m not sure of the exact numbers but I would guess if you would look at the top 25 high school soccer players only probably about 20-25% actually go to college while the remaining go pro in some capacity.  College soccer recruiting is different than when Porter was here and most of those same high schoolers went to college albeit for a year or two.  I think college soccer recruiting is similar to college basketball recruiting.  College basketball recruiting is changing and now some of the top high schoolers and going to the G-League.  Even if you get a 5 star recruit in basketball they will only be in college for a year.  So that is what makes it so difficult to recruit in the college soccer game.  Top kids are going pro and also the college soccer game is different than the pro game.  One other item, you don’t even get 11 scholarships in college soccer, it is something like 9.1 or some strange number like that.  So here is the dilemma, go after the few 5 stars and 4 stars that make it to college but knowing that they won’t be in the program long or go after the 3 and 2 stars and try to develop them because they will be in the program longer.  Also one key here is foreign players.  If you get a foreign player they might be able to get a scholarship under a different program than a soccer scholarship which keeps a scholarship for another player.  In addition the foreign academy system is significantly better than any US system.  So if you notice that is why there are a bunch of foreign players playing college soccer.  They aren’t quite good enough to go pro in their country but they can continue to play in the US and get an education and maybe play in then MLS one day.  Lastly, the college recruiting sites are a crapshoot.  Unlike college football recruiting in which a recruit is analyzed and analyzed and analyzed at a young age, there really aren’t that many websites that have the money to actually rate recruits.  So sometimes I would take the star number with a grain of salt.  That being said I completely agree with you and wish we would get more 5 star recruits, I just think that is a thing of the past even for a good college program.  I am curious to hear other thoughts on this.  

NCAA currently allows 9.9 scholarships for MSOC. 

This is presumably so that, with Title 9 compliance, NCAA Football can grant a full ride scholarship to a third team Corner Back. 

There is word that the NCAA is going to grant a few more scholarships to MSOC in 2020. 

That 9.9 number has stood for 20 years or more.

Top Drawer Soccer rated DeAndre Yedlin 4/5 Stars in 2011.

https://www.collegesoccernews.com/index.php/articles/1439-2020-recruiting-classes

College soccer news....has the zips ranked at #9....for 2020 recruiting class

Top Drawer soccer(TDS)....their recruiting rankings...are a premium subscriber only article...also has the zips at #9

college soccer news....mentions Dyson Clapier from the Portland Timbers academy.

To my knowledge, there has not been a mention yet of Dyson on this recruiting topic

College soccer news...also mentions Connor Lee.   Again, I don't think that he has been mentioned on this recruiting topic.

I believe that Connor Lee....went to CVCA

article shows Ryan Combe...as playing on a Brazilian team

I think they have him confused with Gabriel Ramos(who is not mentioned in the article)

I believe that Ryan Combe is from Maine...or somewhere in the Northeast

also, top Drawer soccer also shows a young man named Remi Smith as being a zip recruit.

He is a midfielder for Atlanta United...and his commitment has been featured on this topic

Remi is a 3 star recruit and is rated #177 in the country according to TDS

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/remi-smith/pid-74578

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There have been rumors of college sports getting canceled in the fall. Whatever happened to the big vote on whether to make college soccer a year round season? What will happen if there is no college soccer in fall 2020?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 2:46 PM, TennZip said:

recruiting class is up to 5 now....

a former Atlanta United Academy teammate of Natnael McDonald....will join the zips in 2020

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/high-school-soccer-article/daily-recruiting:-picking-for-2020-2021_aid47353

BOYS

Remi Smith, Midfielder, Atlanta United

Class: 2020

Commitment: Akron

"The soccer program was good and I felt like to school fit me well," Smith said. "I liked the atmosphere around the team. I got the feeling that the players and the coaches were very close and had good relationships."

Smith also was considering Brown and FIU.

Top Drawer Soccer is now showing that this young man....has committed to the Air Force Academy for fall 2020.

College Soccer news also did not list this young man as a zip recruit when they listed the zips as having one of the best 2020 recruiting classes.

14 hours ago, TennZip said:

Top Drawer Soccer is now showing that this young man....has committed to the Air Force Academy for fall 2020.

College Soccer news also did not list this young man as a zip recruit when they listed the zips as having one of the best 2020 recruiting classes.

Sorry to lose a recruit, but I must say congratulations to Remi Smith on getting into the Air Force Academy and choosing to serve our country. I have no idea what his plans are, but maybe he'll be flying jets some day or working in the Space Force.