Game 3: Akron @ Central Michigan – 3 pm (ESPN+)

94zipgrad

8 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

This O-Line and defensive backfield may be approaching Ianello-level ineptitude.

Wow.  What can I say.  I am a new member to this forum but have been a visitor from afar for some time now.  I think everything starts with the O-Line.  I do not want to talk down about any of our current players since I am sure they are doing their best but some changes need to be made or we will not win a game this season.  The left side of our line is solid with Council and Brown.  I think our center, Peterson, is decent and will get better as the year progresses but the the right side of our line is having some trouble.  Corne at right guard is struggling and Forman is undersized at right tackle.  I know its still early but here is what I would do.  I would move Council from left guard over to right tackle and find two new guards.  That way at least we can hopefully protect Kato better.  At guard, you need some beef that can move people but still be nimble enough to pull and get to second level blocking.  Looking at our current roster I think you have 4 guys that may fit the job.  I would give Sample, Kallay, Fonte, and Robarge a go at it and see who emerges.  Muldowney, Forman, and the other true Freshman, do not have the physical attributes to make it happen.  If we could find a couple of road grader guards this may also lead to a running game improvement as well.  In addition, a blocking tight end would further help protect Kato and help the running game.  I just do not know if we have a guy on the roster that fits the job.  We need a 6'5"ish, 275 lb guy that could occasionally catch a ball.  Maybe look to some of our other OL players and convert one or two to TE.  Just my thoughts....

Edited by Zippyroo
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

How do you know the culture is improving? There has been zero worth trusting this year. Are you really asking for another year or two? What a joke!

I've been around this group and I was around the previous group. I gave them time, I will give these people time. Simple equation, really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

Whew. This is bad.

I want to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, but being uncompetitive against Central is unacceptable.  Central should be, by far, the worst team in the MAC this year.

Oh, and EMU went into Champaign and hung 34 on Illinois, with a walk-off FG win.

If you watched the game, you did see the worst team in the MAC this year.

But why limit ourselves to the MAC?

I think we have a shot at The Bottom Ten title this season.

Go Zips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the thread from the humiliating BG game last year.  I don't see any of you Arth haters taking up the torch for Bowden during of after that game.  What I see are posters who perpetually complain and like to beat, when it's down, anyone or anything related to the university or its sports teams.  Someone posted that they wanted the new coach to be a reincarnation of PJ Fleck.  His first year at WMU was 1-11.  The previous year WMU was 4-8.  Craig Creighton is turning around EMU.  His first two seasons were 2-10 and 1-11.

I realize that until there are marks in the win column it's open season on Arth and AD Williams and Infocision will remain empty.  But those who now defend Bowden who went 1-11 is first year or two, had a peak, and then brought the team back to the bottom of the MAC are simply doing so because they just want to hate.
-

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Miscellaneous Game Notes:

I'll start with special teams, because they were atrocious last week. Did Boogie lose his (kick/punt) return job, or was he injured? I saw him dressed and on the field. Either way Michael Mathison looked good on kick returns, averaging 30 yards a return. Alvin only had one chance to return, but the punt was covered well.  Seems like the Zips changed their punt scheme to get some easy ones off yesterday. Good move. A long of 40 on 6 tries is not good, but at least there were no five yarders. Fitschen nailed a 40 yarder on his only chance. And congratulations to Cory Smigel. Fantastic on-side kick. That kick was better than most on Sunday's that I watch. Most improved unit from week to week. 

I really liked the way Kato's game has progressed. He is playing well with no running game, little protection, and surprising drops from his receivers. Why was Kato skating around the field so much? Did he have the correct cleats? Did something change? Seemed like he could have been more effective on multiple runs, but he slipped. 

It's a jailbreak on the right side of the offensive line right now. Something needs to change. I would probably put a TE on that side for some help. If I were playing the Zips, I would only rush three on obvious passing downs, that's all it takes to get pressure. This should be our number one practice issue this week. To give the line a little break, we played a ton of 00 personnel yesterday. Kato has little time to make a decision with no back or tight end. 

Nice to see Alvin back at safety making plays. Just watching him play the game is worth the price of your home ticket.

Davon'te Jest had another good game. His motor was going for four quarters. I thought #94 DL John Mitchell looked good. I'm not sure how many snaps he got, but when he was in, I saw some penetration. He might need more snaps. I noticed Justin Sampson out there once. He had a great spin move and got to the QB, but it was a quick pass. 

The Zips had nine rushing attempts by three different running backs for a total of ten yards. 

Nice to see the team play hard again in the second half. Can we put a first half together?

I opened a draft folder for Tony Poljan yesterday. I know an NFL team he could help right now. He is impressive, blocking and receiving. What a catch radius. Converted QB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zippyroo said:

Wow.  What can I say.  I am a new member to this forum but have been a visitor from afar for some time now.  I think everything starts with the O-Line.  I do not want to talk down about any of our current players since I am sure they are doing their best but some changes need to be made or we will not win a game this season.  The left side of our line is solid with Council and Brown.  I think our center, Peterson, is decent and will get better as the year progresses but the the right side of our line is having some trouble.  Corne at right guard is struggling and Forman is undersized at right tackle.  I know its still early but here is what I would do.  I would move Council from left guard over to right tackle and find two new guards.  That way at least we can hopefully protect Kato better.  At guard, you need some beef that can move people but still be nimble enough to pull and get to second level blocking.  Looking at our current roster I think you have 4 guys that may fit the job.  I would give Sample, Kallay, Fonte, and Robarge a go at it and see who emerges.  Muldowney, Forman, and the other true Freshman, do not have the physical attributes to make it happen.  If we could find a couple of road grader guards this may also lead to a running game improvement as well.  In addition, a blocking tight end would further help protect Kato and help the running game.  I just do not know if we have a guy on the roster that fits the job.  We need a 6'5"ish, 275 lb guy that could occasionally catch a ball.  Maybe look to some of our other OL players and convert one or two to TE.  Just my thoughts....

Welcome @Zippyroo, I don’t know what the line depth is like but you are dead on that the right side of the line is struggling, that and defensive backs is definitely our biggest areas of concern

Good observations and idea to move Council to RT. Wish our coaches would think of it. As I've mentioned why are we sitting CB Lubin (is he still on the team)? The true freshman CB's we have in there are getting hammered. I like our flea RB Lee as a change up guy, but can we give White a try or as someone else mentioned-maybe Floyd. A bit frustrating, but I suppose there are secret coaching reasons why these things are not happening. Might be a job for Zipsnation reporting.             

14 hours ago, Zippyroo said:

Welcome Zippyroo!  Nice post.  It's refreshing to see a post that discusses the team as opposed to the perpetual p!$$!n9 contest over the coaching (past and present).

• Like 4

Didn't get a chance to watch this one live. After seeing the result, I don't think i'm going to start my ESPN+ membership for this season yet and watch the replay. Really thought we would have gave them a better game. UMASS, Kent, and BG are our only chances left at Ws. 

10 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Welcome @Zippyroo, I don’t know what the line depth is like but you are dead on that the right side of the line is struggling, that and defensive backs is definitely our biggest areas of concern

The O-line had to be a huge concern even before the season started. Thought the DB's would be a little more adequate though. If the lack of a run game is all about the O-line its been a problem for several seasons prior to this one however. This isn't just about Arth and Co. This goes back a while. Since what they are doing isn't working,how about going to a more 'power run' orientation. Use two backs. They did show a little I-formation a few times. Tighten up the formations and make the defenses crowd the line. Use the pass to make them respect the run. Might help Nelson and the Akron D.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

The O-line had to be a huge concern even before the season started. Thought the DB's would be a little more adequate though. If the lack of a run game is all about the O-line its been a problem for several seasons prior to this one however. This isn't just about Arth and Co. This goes back a while. Since what they are doing isn't working,how about going to a more 'power run' orientation. Use two backs. They did show a little I-formation a few times. Tighten up the formations and make the defenses crowd the line. Use the pass to make them respect the run. Might help Nelson and the Akron D.

I think its unlikely that Arth will change his offensive scheme.  However, he can adjust formations and continue to look for the best players at each position.  Running the ball is about being able to move people and using formations within your system to make it easier.   I believe Arth is still figuring it out at this level of competition.  He will need to be creative and use misdirection to create favorable matchups.  It will be a rough season for sure but we should just be looking for improvement from game to game and not necessarily victories right now.  Wins will come eventually as long as we continue to improve. 

30 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Ramart isn't even the backup QB

Ramart isn’t even traveling at this point.  They have DeShields & Gibson traveling & wearing the red practice pullovers for giving signals

still hopeful for improvement but when your o line is performing as bad as it is it hard to improve, no run game & passing game is doing as well as it can for Kato scrambling for his life. It’s so bad Kato is stepping up in pocket or taking off before the pocket even collapses

defense is holding the run game pretty well but we can’t stop the passing game, combination of no QB pressure & the DB’s are getting torn up

I know some around here are already wanting Arth fired after 3 games, but I think it can be agreed upon that the one position that he is qualified in evaluating talent is at the QB position. Personally, I don't think it matters who we have playing QB as the o-line is the real issue on offense. 

Edited by kreed5120

45 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I know some around here are already wanting Arth fired after 3 games, but I think it can be agreed upon that the one position that he is qualified in evaluating talent is at the QB position. Personally, I don't think it matters who we have playing QB as the o-line is the real issue on offense. 

Fair enough.

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Aaaaah, it seems like just yesterday people on Zips Nation were clamoring for Bowden to get Kato on the field and now here we are...