Game 3: Akron @ Central Michigan – 3 pm (ESPN+)

94zipgrad

Scary part about the OL is that the issues might not even be fixed after this year. We lose our best OL. I wouldn't expect anything outside of marginal improvement outside of any of the other current starters. With the current roster - we have one R-Fr that might be a contributor in the future and the rest are true freshman. Expecting a few of them to come in and perform at least average next season is a gamble.

Staff would probably be well served to bring in 1-2 grad transfer/JUCO OL for next season to bridge the gap/bring in competition for the current starters. In fact, looking at it in hindsight, they probably should have allocated 1-2 of those scholly's for the transfers on D they brought to the OL.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:42 PM, LoyalZIP said:

Culture is improving, non football things are improving, but the football is still bad. Kato isn’t the answer IMO. The whole O line is done after this year IMO. And the defense needs a year or two to get to the average level. My hopes are still high but damn!!! Trust the process & go Zips!!

Share how the culture is improving?  Will the culture be better when the Zips are 0-12? How's that going to sell on the recruiting trail?

4 hours ago, DannyHoke said:

Share how the culture is improving?  Will the culture be better when the Zips are 0-12? How's that going to sell on the recruiting trail?

Here's what you need to do Danny. Get a time machine and fly back in time to the previous staff, and watch some practices and talk to the players. Then fast forward to the present and look at all the same things. Voila! The players care, the coaches care, people around the program care. That's not something I saw last year when I would go to practice and spend time around the players. But I'm seeing it now. If people don't want to believe me, then don't! It certainly could change again. As I said, I am not yet a big fan of this coaching staff, but they are doing things right in some places and I will give them credit. Organizational culture in sport isn't defined by a win-loss record in a team's first season. Stop being so myopic. 

Edited by LoyalZIP
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:58 PM, Zippyroo said:

I think its unlikely that Arth will change his offensive scheme.  However, he can adjust formations and continue to look for the best players at each position.  Running the ball is about being able to move people and using formations within your system to make it easier.   I believe Arth is still figuring it out at this level of competition.  He will need to be creative and use misdirection to create favorable matchups.  It will be a rough season for sure but we should just be looking for improvement from game to game and not necessarily victories right now.  Wins will come eventually as long as we continue to improve. 

I believe that coaches can put players in better positions to be successful. In this case stop having Nelson throwing the ball 40 times/game. In practice get the O-line working on the run instead of pass 'protection'. If you don't emphasize the run in practice you can,t do it in a game against good teams.

I do want to see what this team looks like in November as opposed to now.

22 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Here's what you need to do Danny. Get a time machine and fly back in time to the previous staff, and watch some practices and talk to the players. Then fast forward to the present and look at all the same things. Voila! The players care, the coaches care, people around the program care. That's not something I saw last year when I would go to practice and spend time around the players. But I'm seeing it now. If people don't want to believe me, then don't! It certainly could change again. As I said, I am not yet a big fan of this coaching staff, but they are doing things right in some places and I will give them credit. Organizational culture in sport isn't defined by a win-loss record in a team's first season. Stop being so myopic. 

Oh, so now we're expected to rely on people who go to practices and games and interact with the players as opposed to people who read two articles in the Beacon and the box scores every week? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...