Game 4: Troy Trojans @ Akron – 3 pm (ESPN+)

Captain Kangaroo

6 hours ago, UA1987 said:

The 2017 Troy game was exciting.  Akron took the lead 17-16 in the second half with 5 minutes to go. Warren Ball rushed for over 100 yards for the Zips, but Troy moved the ball the length of the field on their last drive at the end of the game to take the win. This year the Zips are ranked as the third worst FBS program by Saragrin (no longer second worst as UTEP moved into that spot somehow) and the point spread is 21 in favor of Troy (of course).        

That was a great game.

The other thing I get from this is that I think I would like to see Akron schedule a home-and-home with UTEP.

15 hours ago, Sergeant Zip said:

At about the 36:50 mark we had a Zips report.   Zipsnation gets a mention and Joe Dunn calls out a few ZNo posters at about 38:30.

Joe is protecting his wallet. Never heard of this Beltz guy, but he must read posts on Zipsnation as this is where you get good Zips news. Sure you have to sift through some whining, trolls and other crap, but this is the place that's entertaining and informative if you're a Zips fan.        

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, LZIp said:

Interesting. Literally one poster has said they are done with Nelson. No mention of the Oline woes and putrid running game.

That broadcast was kind of a cesspool with the host criticizing the Zips defense for not playing mean enough.

Edited by ZippyRulz

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

Joe is protecting his wallet. Never heard of this Beltz guy, but he must read posts on Zipsnation as this is where you get good Zips news. Sure you have to sift through some whining, trolls and other crap, but this is the place that's entertaining and informative if you're a Zips fan.        

I was disappointed that Joe took the bait when the interviewer called ZipsNation a "Cesspool." It would have been nice if he said "It seems like there're a lot of nice people on that site. Great game photography, some nice player stories and passionate fans. You spent a lot of time complaining about guys that sit in bars all day and watch the games. ZipsNation guys attend all the games." Oh well.

As far as Beltz goes - I'll let his interview and content speak for itself.

• Sad 1

On 9/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, UA1987 said:

The 2017 Troy game was exciting.  Akron took the lead 17-16 in the second half with 5 minutes to go. Warren Ball rushed for over 100 yards for the Zips, but Troy moved the ball the length of the field on their last drive at the end of the game to take the win. This year the Zips are ranked as the third worst FBS program by Saragrin (no longer second worst as UTEP moved into that spot somehow) and the point spread is 21 in favor of Troy (of course).        

This years contest has the potential to be a classic battle; like David vs Goliath only instead of Akron slinging rocks at Troy we will use cat turds and hope they are overcome by the smell. Go Zips

Edited by Zipmeister

Does anyone know what's going on with Peter Hayes-Patrick? I saw several different media outlets pick him to be MAC offensive freshman of the year before the season started yet he still doesn't have a touch yet. Is he injured or is he just not as good right now as people were thinking he would be? Our running game could sure use a boost, however, I'm not sure it matters whose carrying the ball with how bad the o-line has been at opening up holes.

Edited by kreed5120

10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Does anyone know what's going on with Peter Hayes-Patrick? I saw several different media outlets pick him to be MAC offensive freshman of the year before the season started yet he still doesn't have a touch yet. Is he injured or is he just not as good right now as people were thinking he would be? Our running game could should use a boost, however, I'm not sure it matters whose carrying the ball with how bad the o-line has been at opening up holes.

Can't speak for the CMU game, but he wasn't dressed (along with White) during the UAB game.

22 hours ago, LZIp said:

Week 4 presser. He gets a little fired up at the 16:10 mark when GT questions the O-line.

Arth has no case for getting fired up when the question is asked about replacing O Linemen. I agree with him that a coach needs to expect his players to be out there every day working their butts off. But they also need to be effective at what they do. They need to show that all that work is making them better and they are prepared to do their job. This line has yet to show they can block. They have been bad so far. The numbers don't lie. Asking if other players should get a look-see is reasonable, even if it is asked by GT.

• Like 1

Do any of you think for a minute that the players and coaches don't feel the same frustrations being vented here?  With 80% of performance being mental, l would be pissed if Arth didn't get "testy" supporting his players.  We have seen these young men for a hundred snaps or so; the coaches have worked with them for months.  Second guessing isn't going to be welcome particularly from a guy who seems to just "call it in" himself.  Arth did say that the coaches need to find a way to help these men be successful.  I'm sure they will try to do their part.  

21 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Are you sure we will be ready to make the step up from St. Francis and Bryant?

UTEP sounds better on the schedule than UAB, Troy, and Illinois right now. Never cared much for the scheduling of FCS but if you are going to do it you want to make sure they aren't the very top of FCS.

11 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Arth has no case for getting fired up when the question is asked about replacing O Linemen. I agree with him that a coach needs to expect his players to be out there every day working their butts off. But they also need to be effective at what they do. They need to show that all that work is making them better and they are prepared to do their job. This line has yet to show they can block. They have been bad so far. The numbers don't lie. Asking if other players should get a look-see is reasonable, even if it is asked by GT.

Totally agree with you.  The problem starts with the Oline.  If the Oline does their job they keep the opponents offense off the field and that in turn helps our defense.  Coach Arth and Coach Zagorski have done nothing that I can see to solve the problem which as I noted in the CMU game thread is the right side of the line.  I am willing to give it another game or two with this unit to just see if they improve but there has to be a contingency plan if it doesn't.  Every one of these players, Oline included, are working hard.  If not, they should not be on the team.  What it comes down to is the coaches ability to look at every player (regardless of years on the team, scholarship or not) and move guys into position for success now and in the future.  If that means some player movement and eating some crow for previous decisions, so be it.  Just get it right.

• Like 1