Game 4: Troy Trojans @ Akron – 3 pm (ESPN+)

Captain Kangaroo

On 9/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

GT apparently thinks we should be encouraged by the Zips second half showings.  I tend to think a team does better in the second half in those situations in part because the team ahead lets up knowing that the game is essentially over.  As such, I can't get too excited by the team's second half performances.

I think we  look better  in the second half,  when the  opponents starting  players  are on the  bench.  At  least in the UAB  game many starters  were pulled  in the third  period and did  not return.

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Agreed....they need to address now.

I saw a pic from Dr Z of our RT with the club arm  (broken hand?) blocking one handed. He's showing some manliness being out there with this injury, but it does seem some experimenting should be done over there? Really like the thought of putting Council at RT. I think Corne can play at guard and maybe bring in Sample or Kallay at the other guard spot. Not sure what happened to Muldowney, but he may not match up well with this new offense or something.

I hope Sands is OK after his broken leg a while back. He just does not seem to be the same.        

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, UA1987 said:

I saw a pic from Dr Z of our RT with the club arm  (broken hand?) blocking one handed. He's showing some manliness being out there with this injury, but it does seem some experimenting should be done over there? Really like the thought of putting Council at RT. I think Corne can play at guard and maybe bring in Sample or Kallay at the other guard spot. Not sure what happened to Muldowney, but he may not match up well with this new offense or something.

I hope Sands is OK after his broken leg a while back. He just does not seem to be the same.        

Yeah, I like what you’re thinking about Corne and Council.  I’m puzzled about Muldowney too.  He’sbeen Showing as #2 on the depth chart week after week, but doesn’t see many snaps....

On 9/18/2019 at 9:03 AM, UA1987 said:

Joe is protecting his wallet. Never heard of this Beltz guy, but he must read posts on Zipsnation as this is where you get good Zips news. Sure you have to sift through some whining, trolls and other crap, but this is the place that's entertaining and informative if you're a Zips fan.        

No!!!!

Look fans. This will be no worse than a Bowden or Ianello first season. Was at the game early. Nothing has changed with the O-line,the run game or the pass rush. All garbage. my guess is but only a guess is that Arth will let Kelley start at QB sometime real soon. Had him in early today. Nelson is not the QB of the future here. Neither is Kelley but Arth is not likely to burn a red shirt on a QB he recruited this season. That said, there are way too many 'coaching' issues rearing their ugly heads for the 4th game of the season. Until they come up with a big RB,a consistent pass rush and some people who can actually play the O-line, as Mountain once said,'travellin' in the dark,can't see a thing'.

Who do they beat this year? Any fearless forecasts?

Meh. It was a frustrating game. A big reason was all of the flags. My gawd they were calling everything and anything. Quite a few questionable calls, but when you're rebuilding, and playing a team like Troy, this will happen. Some of the penalties come from a lack of discipline, and if I don't see an improvement in those types of penalties, I'll be concerned with this staff.

I think a lot of fans underestimated Troy. And the impact Tom Arth's recruiting class (they're all freshmen!!!) has on the team. The players on the field are Bowden's Boys with a couple possible exceptions, and they sucked last year (which is why Bowden is no longer here). 

So I'm not throwing TA under the bus just yet. It'll take a couple years to see how his recruiting classes pan out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spin said:

Meh. It was a frustrating game. A big reason was all of the flags. My gawd they were calling everything and anything. Quite a few questionable calls, but when you're rebuilding, and playing a team like Troy, this will happen. Some of the penalties come from a lack of discipline, and if I don't see an improvement in those types of penalties, I'll be concerned with this staff.

I think a lot of fans underestimated Troy. And the impact Tom Arth's recruiting class (they're all freshmen!!!) has on the team. The players on the field are Bowden's Boys with a couple possible exceptions, and they sucked last year (which is why Bowden is no longer here). 

So I'm not throwing TA under the bus just yet. It'll take a couple years to see how his recruiting classes pan out.

Well ya. Seeing as Ianello had how many wins his first year?And,Bowden had how many wins his first year? Who were the last two Akron coaches to have a winning season in their first years? If there is no significant improvement next season over this,then Arth will be a 3 year and out.