Game 4: Troy Trojans @ Akron – 3 pm (ESPN+)

Captain Kangaroo

3 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

He should be a three games and out.

This is a joke. Fire a coach who got to the MAC Championship and a bowl and replace him with a ZERO.

Remind me again how many career D1 wins he has.

Once again, I offer to take the job right now for $1000 a week

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?

With all due respect, Bowden's team won the East Division one season. Got blown out in the MAC Champ game and the obligatory bowl game. The next season they had what 4 wins?

There were Akron teams in the late '90s and early 2000's that had .500 or better records but didn't get chosen for bowls. Probably because there were not as many.Don't have to defend Arth at this point. He is a big boy and knows how this stuff rolls.

It's Bowden's roster who got him fired last year, esp when they quit on him late in the year. And his recruits who were out there today.

If TA's recruits suck this bad, then it's time to move on. Again.

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Look fans. This will be no worse than a Bowden or Ianello first season. Was at the game early. Nothing has changed with the O-line,the run game or the pass rush. All garbage. my guess is but only a guess is that Arth will let Kelley start at QB sometime real soon. Had him in early today. Nelson is not the QB of the future here. Neither is Kelley but Arth is not likely to burn a red shirt on a QB he recruited this season. That said, there are way too many 'coaching' issues rearing their ugly heads for the 4th game of the season. Until they come up with a big RB,a consistent pass rush and some people who can actually play the O-line, as Mountain once said,'travellin' in the dark,can't see a thing'.

Who do they beat this year? Any fearless forecasts?

I agree that the o and d lines need a lot of help and there is no short term solution.  Who do they beat this year?  I think there are two possibilities: UMass and BGSU.  I originally thought that Kent was a chance, but I have changed my mind.  Regarding a big RB, why isn't Keyondre White or Peter Hayes-Patrick playing?  They were both 3 stars out of high school.

Also, why didn't Burkhart play today?  Any inside information would be great.  

20 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

With all due respect, Bowden's team won the East Division one season. Got blown out in the MAC Champ game and the obligatory bowl game. The next season they had what 4 wins?

There were Akron teams in the late '90s and early 2000's that had .500 or better records but didn't get chosen for bowls. Probably because there were not as many.Don't have to defend Arth at this point. He is a big boy and knows how this stuff rolls.

With all due respect

We have no O line

No D

No running game

No passing game.

No coaching.

Did I leave anything out?

Someone please send a telegram the the "coach":

This is not the NFL. Last place does not get better draft picks.

• Like 2

The thing that is bothering me the most is the apathetic feeling at the tail gates and at the games.  The lots are no where near full for tailgating, and these lots are in prime locations.  Also, the responses on this forum are sparse.  If there was a lot of interest, there would be many comments, even if they were thoughtless and negative.  Also, I counted less than 100 students in the student section during the first half.  Many left at half time.  We used to go to the Rubber Bowl for every game.  How much fun would it have been to have football on campus.  We could tap the keg, drink, go to the first half, go back to the dorm, finish the keg, and come back for the second half.  There is no interest for Zips football.  If you are a student or an alum, I do not understand it.  OK, go ahead and rip me but we need to get interest in the University of Akron Zips.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

So much for the Zips strong second half showings.

Closer game at the half than the rest this season. Kato wasn't able to pad his stats against a soft defense that typically backs off at the start of the second half. 

Gotta find a leader at the QB position. Kato ain't it - from every aspect of the QB position. 

33 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I agree that the o and d lines need a lot of help and there is no short term solution.  Who do they beat this year?  I think there are two possibilities: UMass and BGSU.  I originally thought that Kent was a chance, but I have changed my mind.  Regarding a big RB, why isn't Keyondre White or Peter Hayes-Patrick playing?  They were both 3 stars out of high school.

Also, why didn't Burkhart play today?  Any inside information would be great.  

To support my comments that the Zips have a chance against UMass and BGSU, I looked up the rankings.  Of the 130 FBS teams, the Zips were ranked 126th going into the weekend.  UMass was 125th and BGSU was 124.  We have a chance to win a couple of games.  If you look at the rankings of Central, Illinois, and Troy, they are not very high and they blew out the Zips.  I still have faith.  We will win the two games this year.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:32 PM, UA1987 said:

I saw a pic from Dr Z of our RT with the club arm  (broken hand?) blocking one handed. He's showing some manliness being out there with this injury, but it does seem some experimenting should be done over there? Really like the thought of putting Council at RT. I think Corne can play at guard and maybe bring in Sample or Kallay at the other guard spot. Not sure what happened to Muldowney, but he may not match up well with this new offense or something.

I hope Sands is OK after his broken leg a while back. He just does not seem to be the same.        

OMG, are you watching the same games I am?  Corne does most of his work on his back after he gets bull rushed and knocked over.  Today they moved Council to center after Peterson snapped the ball over the QBs head which resulted in a turnover on our 20 yrd line...Sorry to say it but Muldowney and Forman are both undersized to play guard or tackle.  In D1 ball, you need your big boy pants on.  We need minimum 300 pounders across the front that can also move their feet.  At tackle you also need length (6"6' or taller) to go with that 300+lbs.  Look at our roster and you will quickly see who have the physical attributes.  To me if you're not 300+lbs, your a development player plain and simple. These coaches need to be realistic and get the correct players in positions that they can make the greatest impact.  The number 2s should be guys that are always challenging the 1s to keep them from getting too comfortable.  These coaches have 2s that are undersized true freshman that pose no real threat.  That is a formula for failure.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DannyHoke said:

Zero wins.  Bad recruiting class.

I do not think the recruiting class has ANYTHING to do with what is going on with our football team.   Yeah sure, there are few playing especially on defense but for the most part the guys starting are Bowdens guys.  Personally,  I think Arth did ok recruiting given he got a late start at it.  Rarely do freshmen make any difference their first year.  You really can't say how good a recruiting class is until a couple of years down the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Gotta find a leader at the QB position. Kato ain't it - from every aspect of the QB position. 

No disrespect, but I disagree. Kato is out there leading by example. He has come a long way. I would bet every teammate would back his effort. Dude is giving up his body. He probably won't be able to start next week, so you will be able to see what the offense looks like without him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigjim said:

The thing that is bothering me the most is the apathetic feeling at the tail gates and at the games.  The lots are no where near full for tailgating, and these lots are in prime locations.  Also, the responses on this forum are sparse.  If there was a lot of interest, there would be many comments, even if they were thoughtless and negative.  Also, I counted less than 100 students in the student section during the first half.  Many left at half time.  We used to go to the Rubber Bowl for every game.  How much fun would it have been to have football on campus.  We could tap the keg, drink, go to the first half, go back to the dorm, finish the keg, and come back for the second half.  There is no interest for Zips football.  If you are a student or an alum, I do not understand it.  OK, go ahead and rip me but we need to get interest in the University of Akron Zips.

I haven't been to a game in 3 years but I watch every game on tv. Got tired of people turning and staring at me like I'm a freak every time i'd yell or stomp my feet to make noise when we are on defense. Typical attitude i used to see is 'We like the Zips, but you're kind of a loser if you get THAT excited when cheering Akron on'. Seems it is acceptable to make noise only after a big play.

13 hours ago, Zippyroo said:

OMG, are you watching the same games I am?  Corne does most of his work on his back after he gets bull rushed and knocked over.  Today they moved Council to center after Peterson snapped the ball over the QBs head which resulted in a turnover on our 20 yrd line...Sorry to say it but Muldowney and Forman are both undersized to play guard or tackle.  In D1 ball, you need your big boy pants on.  We need minimum 300 pounders across the front that can also move their feet.  At tackle you also need length (6"6' or taller) to go with that 300+lbs.  Look at our roster and you will quickly see who have the physical attributes.  To me if you're not 300+lbs, your a development player plain and simple. These coaches need to be realistic and get the correct players in positions that they can make the greatest impact.  The number 2s should be guys that are always challenging the 1s to keep them from getting too comfortable.  These coaches have 2s that are undersized true freshman that pose no real threat.  That is a formula for failure.....

Corne had a difficult day against UAB's Garrett Marino, I'll give you that, but at 6'4" 300 lbs he has the physical attributes to play the OL in FBS football (actually had an offer from Troy). Corne was also an All State selection in Florida and is an experienced red shirt sophomore that started all 12 games last year at LG. I think, and two different coaching staffs have thought, he's good enough to play, but what do WE know. OL game grades would paint a clearer picture, but they are not available to us. No thank you though for the obvious height and weight metrics needed to play the OL in the top level of college football. The focus on the right side of the OL is correct IMO, but that focus should be at RT.                      

Edited by UA1987

1 hour ago, WD UA 2015 said:

I haven't been to a game in 3 years but I watch every game on tv. Got tired of people turning and staring at me like I'm a freak every time i'd yell or stomp my feet to make noise when we are on defense.

Pardner, that was the way it was for me and my friends wayyyyy back at the Rubber Bowl when Jason Taylor was King of the Hill.  Can't figure it out....Maybe with more numbers you're more anonymous, but when attendance s sparse you stand out and casual fans don't want to stand out?

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I love Arth's demeanor.  He's a teacher who remains positive.  I would have loved to have played for a coach like Arth.  

Agreed. Dealing with this season will be tough for everyone involved (players, coaches, fans) , but I think if he "keep the team" without much more attrition and bring in another decent class, the lumps we are taking this year should set us up well for the future. Easier said than done though, I think. 

14 hours ago, bigjim said:

Just as an FYI, lot 9 has gone to pass only. I’m with a tailgate group and always forked over $20 to park there. They turned me away even though the lot was half empty at 1.  I parked at funeral home for $10 and they use their  proceeds for scholarships so I probably won’t even try to get into lot 9 again this year. But I agree with you on student section.