Game 5: Akron @ UMass – 3:30 pm

Steve1981

I've been listening to a couple of games on the radio, and can't figure out who Frenchy's new partner Dave Skosen is even with a few google searches. Any help? - I'm having a hard time with his voice, sorry to say. as he sounds to me like a cartoon character. Also, who the heck is the crud or smudge guy that advertises for his weekday show on 1350, every other break (annoying), during the games? He sounds like he should blow his nose and lay off the bottle.         

Edited by UA1987

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

I've been listening to a couple of games on the radio, and can't figure out who Frenchy's new partner Dave Skosen is even with a few google searches. Any help? - I'm having a hard time with his voice, sorry to say. as he sounds to me like a cartoon character. Also, who the heck is the crud or smudge guy that advertises for his weekday show on 1350, every other break (annoying), during the games? He sounds like he should blow his nose and lay off the bottle.         

It's actually "Munch", Munch Bishop. 

I don't mind the new guy.  I lost all faith in his predecessor in 2017 when he felt compelled to explain to me that there was no difference in the talent level between the UA and Penn State starters but that the difference was in depth.  This was when the starters were still in and Akron was getting killed. 

On 9/28/2019 at 9:56 PM, 1981 grad said:

We are probably the worst football team in division one and it is costing Akron $370, 000 to Tennessee Chatanooga to buy our Arth's contract, $630, 000 to pay Bowden's salary over the next 2 years and $500,000 to pay Arth's salary.  Does anyone want to extend the contract of our Athletic director, Larry Williams? 

"We are excited to welcome Tom Arth to the University of Akron," Director of Athletics Larry Williams said. "Tom's experience in leading two programs and his ties to Northeast Ohio made him the exceptional candidate to elevate our program. Not only does Tom have a tremendous football IQ, but he cares deeply about the student-athletes and their future endeavors."

He was a D3 head coach for 4 years and destroyed the UTC program in two years.  The Chattanooga AD won the lottery in that Williams PAID HIM $370,000 to take away his losing head coach.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It's actually "Munch", Munch Bishop. 

I don't mind the new guy.  I lost all faith in his predecessor in 2017 when he felt compelled to explain to me that there was no difference in the talent level between the UA and Penn State starters but that the difference was in depth.  This was when the starters were still in and Akron was getting killed. 

Maybe I was too hard on the guy in my previous post (could be a deviated septum and an eating disorder thus the garbled speech with what sounds like food in his mouth and the name Munch?), but the repeated commercials for his show are too much. I suppose the station can't get anyone else to pay for time during a Zips game.  

Edited by UA1987

24 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Maybe I was too hard on the guy in my previous post (could be a deviated septum and an eating disorder thus the garbled speech with what sounds like food in his mouth and the name Munch?), but the repeated commercials for his show are too much. I suppose the station can't get anyone else to pay for time during a Zips game.  

His show is on 1350 from 3 to 6.  Seems like a very nice man and has some decent area guests.  However, his voice and ingratiating nature can drive you a little nuts sometimes.

1 hour ago, DannyHoke said:

"We are excited to welcome Tom Arth to the University of Akron," Director of Athletics Larry Williams said. "Tom's experience in leading two programs and his ties to Northeast Ohio made him the exceptional candidate to elevate our program. Not only does Tom have a tremendous football IQ, but he cares deeply about the student-athletes and their future endeavors."

He was a D3 head coach for 4 years and destroyed the UTC program in two years.  The Chattanooga AD won the lottery in that Williams PAID HIM $370,000 to take away his losing head coach.

Man you all are a tough crowd. Just because Tom Arth was a D3 coach does not take away from his football knowledge. I think had he stayed at UTC he would have turned the corner with that program just like he will with UA. Then you guys will be on here singing his praises.” Fans only love you when your winning”.Such a true statement. Like I said get behind these coaches and be positive.

2 hours ago, John Ward said:

Man you all are a tough crowd. Just because Tom Arth was a D3 coach does not take away from his football knowledge. I think had he stayed at UTC he would have turned the corner with that program just like he will with UA. Then you guys will be on here singing his praises.” Fans only love you when your winning”.Such a true statement. Like I said get behind these coaches and be positive.

John, there are only a few stinkers here. Stay with us.  Better days are ahead. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Thank you.  These posts are HELPFUL!  Anyone i talk to who is familiar with college football and doesn't have an emotional attachment to the Zips says..."give him time."  "too soon to tell."  "takes few years to build up his program."  "and no way should he burn the redshirt on Gibson this season."  of course, that is of little solace when times are this tough.  Gibson really intrigues me because since Charlie Frye I can't name an Akron QB who actually stayed the course and made the difference all season long and not in just a game here and there.  My buddy at work whose son who is currently on a MAC football team said QB is the most important job in all of team sports.  If Gibson is the real deal and Arth got him here, that will be what grows the program.

11 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Thank you.  These posts are HELPFUL!  Anyone i talk to who is familiar with college football and doesn't have an emotional attachment to the Zips says..."give him time."  "too soon to tell."  "takes few years to build up his program."  "and no way should he burn the redshirt on Gibson this season."  of course, that is of little solace when times are this tough.  Gibson really intrigues me because since Charlie Frye I can't name an Akron QB who actually stayed the course and made the difference all season long and not in just a game here and there.  My buddy at work whose son who is currently on a MAC football team said QB is the most important job in all of team sports.  If Gibson is the real deal and Arth got him here, that will be what grows the program.

I think this guy has done a nice job breaking down the Zips this season.

I just watched the ending of UMASS this evening and Gibson is very intriguing. I'm going to temper my excitement until I see him in a full game when a team has prepared for him, and that could very well be the next game vs Kent State. I prefer not to burn his redshirt in a lost season, but he could end up being the guy for this offense. Kato has done a great job leading (I've been paying very close attention to his demeanor) I think and he has improved, but he might not be the best fit next season. 

It just stinks. This year has been and will likely continue to be quite painful. We are going to lose more players and still be shorthanded next year (and still probably the year after that). Having a decent recruiting class this season that includes some transfers/JUCOs that can contribute right away is key to Arth's long term success I think. Multiple years of the worst team in FBS level play isn't going to work.

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I think this guy has done a nice job breaking down the Zips this season.

I just watched the ending of UMASS this evening and Gibson is very intriguing. I'm going to temper my excitement until I see him in a full game when a team has prepared for him, and that could very well be the next game vs Kent State. I prefer not to burn his redshirt in a lost season, but he could end up being the guy for this offense. Kato has done a great job leading (I've been paying very close attention to his demeanor) I think and he has improved, but he might not be the best fit next season. 

It just stinks. This year has been and will likely continue to be quite painful. We are going to lose more players and still be shorthanded next year (and still probably the year after that). Having a decent recruiting class this season that includes some transfers/JUCOs that can contribute right away is key to Arth's long term success I think. Multiple years of the worst team in FBS level play isn't going to work.

Getting excited about the leadership and rally in the loss to the next to worst team in college football is an incredible commitment to being an optimist. Bravo.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

Getting excited about the leadership and rally in the loss to the next to worst team in college football is an incredible commitment to being an optimist. Bravo.

Joining a fan message board to do nothing but be negative and push an agenda is an incredible display of not having a life. Congrats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

On my phone, so no link, but De’Andre Brimage has entered the transfer portal. Good luck, Brim!

Are the rats deserting the sinking ship, or is there a problem with the coach and players.

Wouldn't these guys be better off playing out the season and trying to get some impressive highlights to increase their value?

20 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Are the rats deserting the sinking ship, or is there a problem with the coach and players.

Wouldn't these guys be better off playing out the season and trying to get some impressive highlights to increase their value?

None of these young men are rats. I think most are hungry to play and maybe they just don't fit into the system.Therefore, they enter the portal . If they stay and play sparingly then they may or may not have to sit next yr. If they leave now than they can use this as a RS yr or the yr they sit.I think this applies to a lot of RS Soph more than anything. Yes you will have FR & RS Fr as well.

• Like 2

Late to the party this week. Boy, that was PAINFUL! I think 0-12 is on the horizon, which sucks considering Akron will have spent nearly half of this decade with one or fewer losses. That's pretty shocking considering how much "better" of a program this is than in the early 2000s at the Rubber Bowl. It just goes to show you, you win with people. It's all about the people. And we've had a lot of bad ones in leadership roles around the program recently.

I didn't get to watch the game and I only listened to parts of it so I won't get too into things I liked and didn't like, but on the surface there are things we can take away from this.

For one, we are not close to being good. At all. But that's obvious and has been all year. We are the worst team in the FBS. But I'll still wear the colors with pride no matter what.

Moving forward, the QB situation will be interesting. I haven't the slightest clue why they hung Kato out to dry at the end of the first half by allowing him to be put in a position where he can get hurt. And he was already hurt so at that point I knew who was coming in behind him and immediately lost all optimism for the game.

With that said, I figured we'd see Gibson at some point this year. He's the crown jewel QB in the first class on the staff of a QB head coach. This shouldn't surprise too many people. I wish I could've watched it live, but it seems like he was pretty electric. That is against a team with no scouting report on him and a team that has probably a bottom 5 defense, so you probably have to take that performance with a grain of salt. But either way, that was great to see.

Also, Burton seemed like he was a decent back. And he's also a freshman which is great! But you won't be playing UMass every week, so again, salt. 

I've been concerned about the defense all year for obvious reasons. I wish I knew more about schematically how defenses work so I could pin point the issues, but I'll just have to point them out instead. It seems like there are a lot of blown coverages and guys getting burned. They're young so I can live with it to an extent, but French makes it sound like these receivers don't have anyone within 10 yards of them at times. That bothers me. Also, I don't know if we run a spy or not but it might be a good idea. Akron's pass rush isn't good enough to complete coverage sacks whenever there are opportunities, and the QBs often get big gains out of it. 

I don't know. We're just bad. At least they didn't roll over down 20 to that garbage team. I can't say I wouldn't have myself. And as for the transfers, best of luck elsewhere. The faster this group can get there players in here, the faster we can determine they're the right people to be here or not.

The football greatly concerns me right now, and as I've stated the jury is out on this staff. But for the sake of the athletes, be supportive. They sacrifice a lot of time right now to get their asses kicked and not have hope in a lot of games. And they're repping our beloved university week after week. Go Zips!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John Ward said:

None of these young men are rats.

Agree wholeheartedly.  Let's face it, the guys who are leaving and were here last year or longer never really got a lot of PT under Terry either.  With the exception of Andre Williams.  I think they read the writing on the wall, or had a talk with Arth and found they weren't in his plans and are doing what Mr. Ward here says.....

On 9/27/2019 at 8:18 AM, LZIp said:

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

I don't like when you make these posts, because there's always merit to them. Andre Williams in portal.

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

looks like Brimage & Floyd have both entered the portal.  I believe out of all the East commits we’ve had over the last 5 years none of them have panned out