Game 5: Akron @ UMass – 3:30 pm

Steve1981

On 9/30/2019 at 11:02 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Eeegads, political talk on a sports forum.  To think I come here to get away from the real world.

Wow...where were you three/four years ago when it was rampant on this forum but in the other direction?  

On 9/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, John Ward said:

Man you all are a tough crowd. Just because Tom Arth was a D3 coach does not take away from his football knowledge. I think had he stayed at UTC he would have turned the corner with that program just like he will with UA. Then you guys will be on here singing his praises.” Fans only love you when your winning”.Such a true statement. Like I said get behind these coaches and be positive.

Turned the corner with the program!?  Seriously?  Seriously...he took a perennial 8+ win team, with 3-straight years in the FCS divisional playoffs; and made them a 3-win team.  One more year of lackluster performance and he likely would have been gone.  The excuse is always given that a coach is terrible in his first year because it's "still the other guy's players..."  At Chattanooga the guys Arth inherited was a 9-4 team that lost in the divisional playoffs.  He took that team and made them 3-8.

Tom Arth was in no position, to be seen by ANYONE, as the person to "Elevate the Zips program to the next level".  Us Arth critics are not "tough" we're simply spouting hard truths.

• Like 3

On 9/30/2019 at 8:31 PM, DannyHoke said:

Getting excited about the leadership and rally in the loss to the next to worst team in college football is an incredible commitment to being an optimist. Bravo.

On 9/30/2019 at 8:34 PM, LZIp said:

Joining a fan message board to do nothing but be negative and push an agenda is an incredible display of not having a life. Congrats.

What has he said that wasn't true though?  Like it's okay to be negative...oh wait, it's only okay to be negative if it's against Terry Bowden when he was here...

The melting of snowflakes on this forum...I mean buck up, what is there to be positive about with Akron Football, Soccer, Basketball (the main drivers on this forum) right now!?  Why is there ALWAYS an ineptitude of leadership at UA!?  Acceptance lends itself to apathy.  Apathy leads to nothing changing.  I'm sure as hell not going to stop being negative because I want something to change; and if you really care about something you've got to be the most critical of it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm sure your family appreciates that attitude.  Utter hogwash.

Critical does not mean disrespectful/hateful or spiteful.  Even your own family has it's faults, better to help them see those faults through the safety of people who care about them , so that they can be encouraged and helped to build through those faults and become better people/stronger people.  So not utter hogwash.  

If you are not most critical of something you care about, other people certainly will be.  You improve through criticism.  You do not improve from sunshine and rainbows and apathy.

Edited by Balsy

22 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Critical does not mean disrespectful/hateful or spiteful.  Even your own family has it's faults, better to help them see those faults through the safety of people who care about them , so that they can be encouraged and helped to build through those faults and become better people/stronger people.  So not utter hogwash.  

If you are not most critical of something you care about, other people certainly will be.  You improve through criticism.  You do not improve from sunshine and rainbows and apathy.

Oh.

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

There is no way to think this is OK.

Five weeks in, worst team in D1.

This is why they fired Bowden?

Because a contingent of vocal alumni became blinded by delusions of grandeur, and a relatively new Athletic Director who wants to pad his Resume with another hire before he jettisons off to somewhere else; were getting their underwear in a bunch.

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

Because a contingent of vocal alumni became blinded by delusions of grandeur, and a relatively new Athletic Director who wants to pad his Resume with another hire before he jettisons off to somewhere else; were getting their underwear in a bunch.

That is very sad if true.

The collapse at the end of last season was due to an injury to Kato.

I would much rather be a regular 6-5, 5-6 team forever than be 0-11 and listed as the WORST.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I would much rather be a regular 6-5, 5-6 team forever than be 0-11 and listed as the WORST.

I've been saying this for years, and ridiculed on this forum for saying it.  Nice to have you around!  I'll take 6-5, 5-7 with a good season every couple of years or so then 0-12.  Which is going to happen this year.  It'll take a miracle for 0-12 not to happen.

7 hours ago, Balsy said:

If it is indeed true that - "You improve through criticism.  You do not improve from sunshine and rainbows and apathy" then I'll offer the following candid thoughts - 

You have 3,870 posts on ZipsNation. I am still waiting for the first good one. You started off strong in 2012 with your avatar, and everything since then has been a banal, verbose waste of space. 

You offer a stunning combination of ignorance and self-importance.

#Facts.  Tough Love.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

As to the criticism issue, constructive criticism can certainly lead to improvement.  That being said, I'd temper my criticism to anyone in a period of transition, not throw out the same criticism without regard to the circumstances involved.   I also think that those who harken for the olden days of "Knute" Bowden are either naive to other issues that came with him or unwilling to admit the issues.  

Certainly, none of us would wish this misery on our University.  We all want a winner and that's why we're so passionate about it.  However, this was a predictable situation, one that comes with every rebuild.  If the misery is ongoing, Arth clearly wasn't the guy, but 32 days into the season is a little early for the "Chicken Little" reaction.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

You have 3,870 posts on ZipsNation. I am still waiting for the first good one. You started off strong in 2012 with your avatar, and everything since then has been a banal, verbose waste of space. 

You offer a stunning combination of ignorance and self-importance.

#Facts.  Tough Love.

Awe, you really do care, and appreciate having me around on this forum!   I'll take your criticism under advisement.  Though I believe you're a bit unfair to Balsy circa 2012 as he was a much more timid, Akron undergrad just looking for an outlet for Zips fandom that really didn't exist, and rarely made posts that pushed the envelope even slightly.

23 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I also think that those who harken for the olden days of "Knute" Bowden are either naive to other issues that came with him or unwilling to admit the issues.  

Of course there were issues, no one is denying that!  Recruiting still sucked (but was better than before), offensive play calling was a mystery after 2013...among other issues for which I probably am not aware of...but there is a level of nuance there that Bowden's detractors don't want to talk about.

27 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

However, this was a predictable situation, one that comes with every rebuild.  If the misery is ongoing, Arth clearly wasn't the guy, but 32 days into the season is a little early for the "Chicken Little" reaction.  

Predictable, sure.  Bowden had a 1-11 first year.  But beyond the simple prediction you have to have something tangible.  Simply saying "all coaches struggle their first year" is a whitewash excuse.  Bowden may have been 1-11 that first year, but there was a tangible improvement that could be seen that wasn't subjective: competitive late in games almost winning (FIU, BGSU, Miami that year...including a surprisingly competitive game against Tennessee) and overall defensive and Offensive statistical improvement.  What are we seeing with Arth that is tangible, right now? 

• Like 1

Akron didn't fire Bowden to hire Arth. They fired Bowden because he won only 40% of his games through 7 seasons despite playing in the worst division in all of FBS. No matter who the coach was this team was going to stink based off the lack of talent on the roster. If you want to say Bowden would have won 3-4 games with this roster I'm not going to bother arguing as that would be purely subjective, but there is no way this team was going to make it to a bowl game even if Nick Saban was coaching it. If through 5 games you're certain that Arth isn't the guy, I certainly had my doubts when they hired him (still do), that just means Larry Williams hired the wrong guy. There are other MAC programs that can perennially make bowls and their "good seasons" are 9-10+ wins. Why do you think the best Akron can do is a perennial 5-7 team with our "good season" being 8-5?

• Like 1

Last year, 4-8 Bowden beat -

• Northwestern
  • Morgan State (4-7 FCS)
  • Kent State in OT (2-10)
  • CMU (1-11)

We lost 9-of-11 starters on defense, and that defense carried the 2018 team.

Due to the timing of his hire he completely missed out on the initial signing day. We lost our best returning WR, Jonah Morris, before the season even started.

Shocking that we're bad in 2019. Who knew? 

Arth is a good person, and a hard worker. He's legitimately focusing on NE Ohio recruits, which is something Akron fans have bemoaned for years. Everyone here should support the guy. Against a lot of odds, his staff and team are busting their ass to bring Akron a winner.

If you repeatedly post on ZipsNation bitching about Arth, you're just trying to bring the program down. And bring the supporters down. And that is not why I pay the money, and spend the time, to run a nice site that represents UA well. People that repeatedly bitch make ZipNation toxic and drive good, interesting, fun fans away. That won't fly.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron didn't fire Bowden to hire Arth. They fired Bowden because he won only 40% of his games through 7 seasons despite playing in the worst division in all of FBS. No matter who the coach was this team was going to stink based off the lack of talent on the roster. If you want to say Bowden would have won 3-4 games with this roster I'm not going to bother arguing as that would be purely subjective, but there is no way this team was going to make it to a bowl game even if Nick Saban was coaching it. If through 5 games you're certain that Arth isn't the guy, I certainly had my doubts when they hired him (still do), that just means Larry Williams hired the wrong guy. There are other MAC programs that can perennially make bowls and their "good seasons" are 9-10+ wins. Why do you think the best Akron can do is a perennial 5-7 team with our "good season" being 8-5?

Respectfully I must disagree with you.

TB took over a "team" that was a total disaster. As in NO WINS, last in the NCAA.

So that first year was not his blame, iCoach was to blame.

Arth took over a team that had won games and been to bowls in the past few years. Were they really good? NO

BUT, at the end of last year, was there any indication that with TB we would have gone 0-12? NO

The fact is that this guy is a horrible hire. We have been blown out in 5 games. Receivers are left wide open. That is coaching.

Players are deserting the team, with no guarantee they will get a scholarship offer elsewhere. THAT is the coach.

Didn't we win 4 games last year? That is NOT good. However, it is not even close to what we are now. This is NOT a rebuilding year, if so we would win 4 or 5 games based on what TB left us with.

NOPE

This is a coach that is NOT a D1 coach, and has a staff that is NOT a D1 staff.

Probably part of the University Master Plan to save money by dropping football.

• Thanks 1

To think Bowden was fired solely based upon his win loss record is naive.

I'd bet if we looked back to last year's posts the same people griping now about Arth were calling for Bowden's head back then.

Also, as Captain states, Arth's recruiting was hampered by the University's slow hiring process.  BG was slow but still  hired Loeffler nearly two weeks ahead of US hiring Arth.

6 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

• Northwestern
  • Morgan State (4-7 FCS)
  • CMU (1-11)

Due to the timing of his hire he completely missed out on the initial signing day. We lost our best returning WR, Jonah Morris, before the season even started.

Arth is a good person, and a hard worker. He's legitimately focusing on NE Ohio recruits, which is something Akron fans have bemoaned for years. Everyone here should support the guy. Against a lot of odds, his staff and team are busting their ass to bring Akron a winner.

If you repeatedly post on ZipsNation bitching about Arth, you're just trying to bring the program down. And bring the supporters down. And that is not why I pay the money, and spend the time, to run a nice site that represents UA well. People that repeated bitch make ZipNation toxic and drive good, interesting, fun fans away. That won't fly.

I do respect what you are saying, but at this point people need to vent.

The negative energy on this team does not come from this board. Far from it.

It comes from whatever is going on in the coaches office.

And we all appreciate your good work here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

• Northwestern
  • Morgan State (4-7 FCS)
  • CMU (1-11)

If you repeatedly post on ZipsNation bitching about Arth, you're just trying to bring the program down. And bring the supporters down. And that is not why I pay the money, and spend the time, to run a nice site that represents UA well. People that repeated bitch make ZipNation toxic and drive good, interesting, fun fans away. That won't fly.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

• Northwestern
  • Morgan State (4-7 FCS)
  • CMU (1-11)

@Captain Kangaroo

This board is very well done & I agree with most of what your saying but Jonah wasn’t our best receiver & may not have even started.

This defense is at such a disadvantage, you have Lako & Davis that are legit D1 guys, new d line that creates no pressure, new linebackers & a bunch of DB’s that never played a college football game a month ago.

I expected so much more out of this offense but you can’t do much with little blocking.  No run game, now Gibson made things better on pass game cause he knew how to move around in pocket & go through reads, something we haven’t seen but Burkhart is only real game changer we have in speed & athletic ability 

I hope things get better but unfortunately I think it may get worse before better but this isn’t Arth’s fault.  Give him a chance, let him get a couple recruiting classes in & if you don’t see it we should all ask for a change

I believe you never settle & always strive for greatness 

Go Zips ?

• Like 5

I mean, not to get into a discussion that's really a waste of time re: Bowden. But the last 5-6 games last year with a better roster didn't look much better than what we're seeing right now. I know this is the UMass thread, but I'll put it here anyway. And people have even said it already in some ways. Did Akron have a good reason to fire Bowden? Yes! Does that automatically make those of us who came to that conclusion fans of the current staff by default? Absolutely not! There's a reason that even if we do indeed go 0-12 this year (which I've come to accept, but still support the team) I will not miss what the previous group became. Not at all. That was an embarrassment, so far beyond the football itself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 9/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, ZipsVoice said:

Ya know, one of the best devices that someone showed me on the board earlier this season was the "ignore user" area under "settings".  Ever since they talked about how to do it, I have not had to deal with dre's posts, and I am so much happier.  Unfortunately, some times I still glimpse one when one of us quotes him in a reply, but for the most part he and a few others have disappeared from my view, and I'm much calmer these days....   ?

Participation on this forum is as bad as the Akron Football Game Attendance and you blocking the few people who do post on here 

Hilarious 

On 10/2/2019 at 3:40 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

As to the criticism issue, constructive criticism can certainly lead to improvement.  That being said, I'd temper my criticism to anyone in a period of transition, not throw out the same criticism without regard to the circumstances involved.   I also think that those who harken for the olden days of "Knute" Bowden are either naive to other issues that came with him or unwilling to admit the issues.  

Certainly, none of us would wish this misery on our University.  We all want a winner and that's why we're so passionate about it.  However, this was a predictable situation, one that comes with every rebuild.  If the misery is ongoing, Arth clearly wasn't the guy, but 32 days into the season is a little early for the "Chicken Little" reaction.  

We are now how many days into John Groce's tenure. I said he was trash from day 1 too and yet yall still defend him acting like a victim of physical abuse telling everyone everything is fine. 

But thats a different topic. Continue on.