Game 6: Oct 12th - Kent State @ Akron – 3:30 pm

Captain Kangaroo

12 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Hypothetical - if Gibson were to come out and look good and we beat Kent, do you go burn his redshirt in a lost season or go back to Kato?

Game Notes are posted on gozips.com, and not that it means a whole hill of beans, but the depth chart for the game shows Kato #1 and Robbie Kelly #2.

34 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Hypothetical - if Gibson were to come out and look good and we beat Kent, do you go burn his redshirt in a lost season or go back to Kato?

You owe it to the team to give them the best chance to win games. If Gibson clearly gives you that chance, you play him. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Name two players in Akron history that you can look back on and say "man, we shouldn't have burned his redshirt"

In your hypothetical scenario, I would select Gibson. 

36 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Name two players in Akron history that you can look back on and say "man, we shouldn't have burned his redshirt"

In your hypothetical scenario, I would select Gibson. 

Vise Versa, 2016 we was one victory away from a Bowl Game & Woodson & Chapman went down, had Hoyer & Nelson on sideline & we used neither & went to a WR in Goodman & didn’t get the victory.  We had a couple of games to get that victory & Bowden wasn’t burning Nelson’s redshirt, sucks we didn’t get that victory but it was the right decision not use Nelson, now why we didn’t try Hoyer IDK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Vise Versa, 2016 we was one victory away from a Bowl Game & Woodson & Chapman went down, had Hoyer & Nelson on sideline & we used neither & went to a WR in Goodman & didn’t get the victory.  We had a couple of games to get that victory & Bowden wasn’t burning Nelson’s redshirt, sucks we didn’t get that victory but it was the right decision not use Nelson, now why we didn’t try Hoyer IDK

Ohh, Ohh..I know (part of the answer);to be nice let's just say  they weren't saving Hoyer for a future year.

• Like 1

ABJ/GT: Zips QB situation uncertain going into game against rival Kent State

Good article.  GT also discusses some of the players in the Transfer Portal and includes an interesting quote from Tom Arth concerning the KSUcks rivalry: "We're going to do something nice for [the team on Wednesday]... it will be a good opportunity [for them] to learn what this rivalry means and what this game means to our university."

Edited by Blue & Gold

From the BJ article: “We’re planning on him being available. Kato is a tough kid,” UA coach Tom Arth said in his weekly news conference Tuesday. “He’s had a chance to really rest up quite a bit last week, feel great. He’s certainly progressed for us as we’d hoped last week. We’re preparing him to be ready to play.”

The use of the words "available" and "ready to play" make me think how he will be used. I know nothing, just interpreting, and possible overthinking a small blurb. 

Charlie Frye started as a true freshman in 2001 (had a good year too - first full game start was at Ohio State and Frye played well despite a 28-14 loss) when Nick Sparks went down with turf toe against OU I believe. The rest is history-does history repeat?    

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Charlie Frye started as a true freshman in 2001 (had a good year too - first full game start was at Ohio State and Frye played well despite a 28-14 loss) when Nick Sparks went down with turf toe against OU I believe. The rest is history-does history repeat?    

We have 7 games left & you will see Gibson in 3 of them barring him getting injured & he keeps his redshirt

Not trying to be a jerk but we aren’t doing anything this year & the cupboards were left bare especially on defense, we had to hit Juco hard to just be competitive & we have no numbers in the defensive backs & 3 have hit the portal, it’s going to take some time

We know Kelly is out of eligibility & I have no insider info but I could see since Kato was RS he could possibly leave as a graduate transfer if he stayed on pace for 4 year graduation

Plus I thinking they are recruiting for an upgrade in lineman, much needed also

My vote save Gibson’s RS

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

We have 7 games left & you will see Gibson in 3 of them barring him getting injured & he keeps his redshirt

Not trying to be a jerk but we aren’t doing anything this year & the cupboards were left bare especially on defense, we had to hit Juco hard to just be competitive & we have no numbers in the defensive backs & 3 have hit the portal, it’s going to take some time

We know Kelly is out of eligibility & I have no insider info but I could see since Kato was RS he could possibly leave as a graduate transfer if he stayed on pace for 4 year graduation

Plus I thinking they are recruiting for an upgrade in lineman, much needed also

My vote save Gibson’s RS

I hear ya, but I say save Akron Football and play Gibson and RB Patrick. We played Brandon Payne as true freshman in 1999 and he almost ran for 1,000 yards that season.   

Edited by UA1987

28 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

I hear ya, but I say save Akron Football and play Gibson and RB Patrick. We played Brandon Payne as true freshman in 1999 and he almost ran for 1,000 yards that season.   

Since you are an Akron historian...?...do you recall Lee Owens' first season? The Zips were 1-6, and Owens was disgusted with his QB play, so he pulled Greg Gromek's redshirt in Game 8...and the Zips subsequently won 3-in-a-row. Gromek subsequently blew out his knee the next season and used his redshirt for that reason.

Say Gibson beats Kent...and beats Buffalo...and beats NIU...how do you not start him at BG?

Yeah, it's a fairly improbably scenario considering we're 0-5...but it is the MAC. It's possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Since you are an Akron historian...?...do you recall Lee Owens' first season? The Zips were 1-6, and Owens was disgusted with his QB play, so he pulled Greg Gromek's redshirt in Game 8...and the Zips subsequently won 3-in-a-row. Gromek subsequently blew out his knee the next season and used his redshirt for that reason.

Say Gibson beats Kent...and beats Buffalo...and beats NIU...how do you not start him at BG?

Yeah, it's a fairly improbably scenario considering we're 0-5...but it is the MAC. It's possible.

I was looking at old stats back then and most of our running backs were all around 4.0 yards per carry or higher. The one exception may have been a fullback we had nicknamed 'The Glacier' as he was slow, but hard to stop. Couldn't find his name though. Hate that we have regressed, but there is some hope with our young guys this year-if we play them. Ya'll have fun-I'll be at a funeral-hope the game is not one.           

Edited by UA1987

While there are no official injury reports in college, donbest.com is the closest thing available. I look almost every week. This is the first week, someone other than Jonah appears. 

10/07/19.  LB.  DeMarkus Glover.  Undisclosed.  left last game,    is "?" Saturday vs Kent State

10/07/19.  QB.  Kato Nelson.  Arm.  left last game,    is "?" Saturday vs Kent State

10/07/19.  TE.  Maverick Wolfley.  Undisclosed.  is "?" Saturday vs Kent State