Game 6: Oct 12th - Kent State @ Akron – 3:30 pm

Captain Kangaroo

The Zips and first-year head coach Tom Arth are coming off a 37-29 loss at Massachusetts. Senior running back Deltron Sands (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) is the team’s top rusher with 88 yards and a touchdown on 34 carries. Junior quarterback Kato Nelson is 89-of-156 passing for 922 yards and eight touchdowns. Junior receiver Nate Stewart is the top receiver with 22 receptions for 320 yards and three touchdowns. On defense, senior LB John Lako leads the team wit 58 tackles. Akron is ranked No. 22 nationally in fewest penalty yards per game (44.80)

Our leading rushing is on pace to barely clear 200 yards, but at least the Plain Dealer found something Akron has done well at this season.

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I've been one of those on here that has consistently urged patience.  Every time something happens like having to call a timeout on your FIRST PLAY because someone is out of position, or a stupid penalty is committed, a little bit of my patience is whittled away.

And that's the ball game, folks.

Kent goes for it on 4th and one on their own 35.  Did anyone think it was going to be a quarterback sneak?  Not Akron.  We had our safeties playing pass defense.  The decision to punt on our 4th and 2 on the Kent 40 just sums up this season.  We cannot win a game, the defense sucks, and we net 23 on the punt.  We play to lose.  As soon as I saw that decision I knew the half time score was going to be 17-3.  We rushed 3 and dropped 8.  Kent just ran the ball and made completed some easy passes.   How many times are they going to complete the outside screen pass for 7-10 yards before our coaches figure out how to defend that play. 

• Like 1

I wish Coach Arth and the team well.  I hope he can figure things out and turn it around.  I also hope that this is a regrouping and rebuilding anomaly.  And I also hope that he can prove his doubters wrong and prove to those who hired him that they were right.  There's no point is stating the obvious about what I saw at the game today.  He (and Kato) just laid a huge egg at Homecoming, against the rival team, in front of a really nice crowd and the new president.  I am certain there will be a reckoning (but at what cost) for all those involved if this turns out to be the colossal fail that it "seems" to be at the moment. Who was on the search committee?  My guess is that his looks, charm, and blue-blood St. Ignatius/NE Ohio background swayed them heavily.  

Like someone else said a while back, firing Bowden and hiring Arth were separate decisions.  I agreed with the first, but I'm really wondering now about the second.   As for Kato, HipZip is correct, time to move on.  He (much like I think Jimond Ivey was on the basketball program) is not a team player and has earned misplaced loyalty from the coaching staff.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

I've been impressed with what Sean Lewis is doing at Kent. They are very much improved. It's not crazy to think they could win the MAC East this season. They are playing good football. Congratulations to them.

As for Akron, I've tried to be patient with "Arth Ball" or whatever they want to call it, but a hapless 0-6 start and getting hammered at home against your arch rival on homecoming is my breaking point. Nothing has improved as the season has gone on. Saturdays in autumn are too precious of a commodity to waste on Ianello Ball 2.0. Good luck, but I'm not wasting any more of my time on this event horizon of hopeless pigskin incompetence.

Edited by ZippyforPresident
  • Like 3