Game 6: Oct 12th - Kent State @ Akron – 3:30 pm

Captain Kangaroo

Arth is in over his head, which is not his fault, he is a coach who was 9-13 in his ONLY D1 FOOTBALL EXPOSURE EVER at Chattanooga, yet Larry Williams hired him despite Arth having never recruited D1 Athletes.  Dating back to last year Arth has now not tasted a win in 350 days. 9 straight losses for D3 Boy at the D1 level.

Larry Williams is killing Akron Football and there needs to be a house cleaning at the top of the Athletics Program.  Do the right thing Gary Miller and make wholesale changes in Zip Athletics.

Edited by DannyHoke
  • Like 7

Was at the game. Have been at every home game this season....so far. There are now some obvious patterns. The coaching staff appears not concerned about wins this season. They are playing an 'apparently' injured QB who can no longer make significant plays to help the team win. Missed a wide open receiver in the end zone in the first half. Throwing the ball into the ground on short outs. If he is hurting that badly then sit him. They seem to be running a high school level offense. Lee is not an every down running back, yet the staff keeps playing him. He is so small he gets swallowed up at the line.Reminds me of 'Metcalf up the middle'. The offensive line still can't run block. Riley is a HUGE liability at CB and opponents know they can go there for easy yards. The front 7 is still way below average.

If games were at least competitive that would be one thing.. They should be!

My concern is Arth is banking on 'his' recruits for a turnaround next season. May be. But,with a new Prez at Buchtel Hall who knows what his attitude is toward major money losing sports. The University is already in the hole financially. He may not want to tolerate that black hole of cash any longer.

No more wins on the schedule this season.

If Arth is wanting to preserve 'redshirts' we won't see any changes for at least another 2 or 3 weeks.

My last game will be Buffalo only because we promised our granddaughter that we would take her to her first live football game. After that I am done for the year. No season tix next year. We will sit in GA for half the price and the same seats on the East side.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

If Arth is wanting to preserve 'redshirts' we won't see any changes for at least another 2 or 3 weeks.

I thought, that, too.  If Gibson is the guy, then they must be holding him until the last two games.   As we said on the way out tonight, the only way is up!

1 hour ago, DannyHoke said:

Arth is in over his head, which is not his fault, he is a coach who was 9-13 in his ONLY D1 FOOTBALL EXPOSURE EVER at Chattanooga, yet Larry Williams hired him despite Arth having never recruited D1 Athletes.  Dating back to last year Arth has now not tasted a win in 350 days. 9 straight losses for D3 Boy at the D1 level.

Larry Williams is killing Akron Football and there needs to be a house cleaning at the top of the Athletics Program.  Do the right thing Gary Miller and make wholesale changes in Zip Athletics.

I wonder what the attitude of the new Prez is toward an athletic department that has been bleeding the University white financially for years. He may decide that Akron can no longer afford to try to compete at the D-1 level. 'Wholesale changes' may not just involve a new AD etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColemanCrawfordsMustache said:

Disgraceful performance. No excuse to be this bad. The cupboard wasn’t left that bare & some personal decisions are head scratching. 

This city and alumni deserve better. Basketball season can’t get here soon enough where I think the Zips will really surprise some people (in a positive direction) 

I saw Chris Szabo at the game. Wonder what he is thinking right now?

24 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

I saw Chris Szabo at the game. Wonder what he is thinking right now?

Spuds is probably thinking that he could coach the football team to and not do any worse. Arth is a joke, and if he thinks his all-star game of D3 bumblers are going convince talented players to come to U ofA based on the honor of playing for the 0-12 coach then sure, we are all living in the 5th dimension.

• Like 1

My "are you *%#@ing kidding me?" moment last year was when the Zips lined up on the wrong side of the field for the kickoff after an opposing team TD.  I had that moment today on their first play from scrimmage which resulted in a timeout before they could run the play they'd rehearsed all damn week.

I don't expect wins or the type of play I'd see from a team with more individual talent.  If an opponent's players run faster, jump higher and throw it farther, so be it, but I can't bear mental errors and undisciplined penalties.  That needs to change, and fast.

5 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

I might be ok if I saw some interesting/creative play calling. Maybe some interesting blitz packages on defense. Or really, anything to be optimistic about. I see the same white bread, boring, predictable play and lack of talent we saw under Ianello. 

Yup.  Ianello 2.0.

2 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Honest question:

Would we be 0-6 right now with Bowden at the helm?

The other honest question:

Is our defense actually this bad or is the defensive coordinator a big part of the problem?

No.  No We wouldn't.  We would at the least have two wins under Bowden, maybe 3; and we would have been far more competitive in the games that we lost.

2 hours ago, ZippyforPresident said:

Ianello Ball 2.0. Good luck, but I'm not wasting any more of my time on this event horizon of hopeless pigskin incompetence.

Welcome to the darkside my friend.  We have taco-tuesdays and yuengling on tap.

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

but I can't bear mental errors and undisciplined penalties.  That needs to change, and fast.

Don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

I wonder what the attitude of the new Prez is toward an athletic department that has been bleeding the University white financially for years. He may decide that Akron can no longer afford to try to compete at the D-1 level. 'Wholesale changes' may not just involve a new AD etc.

Dr Miller spoke at the Varsity A Hall of Fame induction this morning. A synopsis of his speech would be the importance of D-1 athletics at UA. He was a D-1 athlete himself. I seriously doubt there will be any meaningful changes to the status of UA athletics under his governance.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My "are you *%#@ing kidding me?" moment last year was when the Zips lined up on the wrong side of the field for the kickoff after an opposing team TD.  I had that moment today on their first play from scrimmage which resulted in a timeout before they could run the play they'd rehearsed all damn week.

I don't expect wins or the type of play I'd see from a team with more individual talent.  If an opponent's players run faster, jump higher and throw it farther, so be it, but I can't bear mental errors and undisciplined penalties.  That needs to change, and fast.

Ultimately, the buck stops with the coach but what's the QB's responsibility with this type of thing?

ABJ & Record Courier/Allen Moff: Flashes take first place, Wagon Wheel with win over rival Zips

I appreciate Sean Lewis' moxie, but this gets me fired up:  "It's great to be 2-0 in the conference and have two dominant wins. To have our Wheel home, and [win] it in dominant fashion, that's just icing on the cake. I can't wait to paint that Wheel the right colors."

That's poster board material.

Edited by Blue & Gold

I honestly don't think we would win many games at the FCS level this year.  That's how bad this team is.  From beating Northwestern last year to not being able to compete in FCS.  That's what happens when you fire a great coaching staff of legitimate FBS coaches and replace them with a bunch of part time D3 morons who should still be living off stipends and driving Uber in the offseason.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, InTheZone said:

I honestly don't think we would win many games at the FCS level this year.  That's how bad this team is.  From beating Northwestern last year to not being able to compete in FCS.  That's what happens when you fire a great coaching staff of legitimate FBS coaches and replace them with a bunch of part time D3 morons who should still be living off stipends and driving Uber in the offseason.

Wow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, InTheZone said:

We can tell you've had a lot of coaching experience. ! Good grief ! Give the guy a chance will you ! I realize your buddies from the old regime  got the axe but time to stop being butt hurt and move on from it. 

7 minutes ago, John Ward said:

We can tell you've had a lot of coaching experience. ! Good grief ! Give the guy a chance will you ! I realize your buddies from the old regime  got the axe but time to stop being butt hurt and move on from it. 

I have D1 playing experience slapdick, and I'm humiliated by what's being put on the field.  There's no excuse for the complete lack of discipline and effort.  Nobody cares on that field.