Game 6: Oct 12th - Kent State @ Akron – 3:30 pm

Captain Kangaroo

13 minutes ago, InTheZone said:

I have D1 playing experience slapdick, and I'm humiliated by what's being put on the field.  There's no excuse for the complete lack of discipline and effort.  Nobody cares on that field.

I get your disappointment with the current staff, but to call that group of hacks "a great coaching staff of legitimate FBS coaches" is downright delusional. 

• Thanks 1

I know they don’t do injury reports but anybody know anything about Burkhart, he is our only big play threat, he had 4 catches in one drive in the UMass game, 1 for a TD right before half & didn’t play 2nd half & was in street cloths yesterday

Combination of no big play potential & knowing your going to get beat deep on defense on any given play is depressing, especially if you have no run game to eat clock & keep opponent off the field

The long pass TD on the first drive took the excitement out of the crowd, the players fought but crowd seem to lose it on that play

3 hours ago, InTheZone said:

I have D1 playing experience slapdick

D1 OHSAA experience is a lot different than NCAA....slap your own dick....especially if you thought anyone cared on the field the last three games of the 2018 season under what you claim were great coaches....and guess what, the coaches on that field cared less than the players did.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ & Record Courier/Allen Moff: Flashes take first place, Wagon Wheel with win over rival Zips

I appreciate Sean Lewis' moxie, but this gets me fired up:  "It's great to be 2-0 in the conference and have two dominant wins. To have our Wheel home, and [win] it in dominant fashion, that's just icing on the cake. I can't wait to paint that Wheel the right colors."

That's poster board material.

Somebody remind me -- isn't the Wagon Wheel an all-sports trophy now?

I'll try to keep things shorter than usual. No need to dissect this one too much.

Kato Nelson is not the quarterback he was against Ohio in 2017. I keep telling myself that is the real Kato, but when you actually have time to throw and make reads like he did this weekend, you can't miss all those throws. Not sure if it's because he's been hurt so much since that Ohio game or what, but I'm not expecting him to be the starter next year, and perhaps he could grad transfer to somewhere he can be more of a help. With that said, he ran aggressively and that was cool to see. I love seeing guys give it their all, especially in this game.

Man, I wish we could've seen what Gibson could do against that team. I feel like we're moving the ball better in general, hell we made it inside the 10 yardline what 4 times Saturday? Only issue is once Akron gets down there, they forget how to football. It almost looks like the staff gets afraid or something I don't know. That needs to change now. I saw it against UAB and I still see it. Unacceptable. Score some damn points. 

The offense isn't bailing out the defense, and that bothers me moving forward as far as the whole morale of the team goes. The final stats don't reflect it, but the D was able to get off the field most of the first half. And when the offense doesn't reward you with points, well the second half happens. The D is more promising to me than the offense moving forward, if you can believe that. Experience is hugely important on defense, so hopefully by next year there's improvement in the defensive backfield because it's bad. Just so bad. 

Why doesn't Burton start? Brandon Lee is literally not a D1 football player. I like the receivers, that's about it. Mathison and Stewart are probably the only dependable things when Akron has the ball.

This whole patience thing is getting old. Seeing those garbage players take the Wagon Wheel home to that dump makes me really mad. I wish our staff had the fire of their head coach when it comes to rivalries. It just felt like this was just another game to this staff going into it. 

Now, excuse me while I talk myself into beating Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Why doesn't Burton start? Brandon Lee is literally not a D1 football player.

I was thinking the same on Saturday.  Brandon Lee should be in the slot.  To put it mildly, he's not an every-down RB at this level.  I know Deltron Sands got injured early in the game.  But if Lee is your #1 every-down back, your cupboard is officially bare.  

I hate being negative about any player on an open forum.  Who knows who reads this.  And I love Lee because he's got "Akron" on his chest; he's family now.  But, yeah, I say more Burton.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was thinking the same on Saturday.  Brandon Lee should be in the slot.  To put it mildly, he's not an every-down RB at this level.  I know Deltron Sands got injured early in the game.  But if Lee is your #1 every-down back, your cupboard is officially bare.  

I hate being negative about any player on an open forum.  Who knows who reads this.  And I love Lee because he's got "Akron" on his chest; he's family now.  But, yeah, I say more Burton.

Thank you for the second part. I must clarify, and I've said it before, these players are working so hard every week to go out and not have a chance in a lot of these games, so I do not want my comments on personnel to be seen as shots against the players. I simply feel that the staff should try to fix things that aren't working, and it's evident that Lee at RB1 is not working. Perhaps he could be better in the slot, that's the kind of thing they should be trying at this point in the season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

This whole patience thing is getting old.

Nothing is going to change this year. The players the staff has are the players they have and they are becoming more short-handed with each passing week. Some just are what they are. The O-line isn't going to miraculously improve and we are incredibly short handed at RB. Not the best mix for a QB who isn't an elite passer. I'll still watch every game hoping we can pull an upset (Kent was the last one I'm spending money on), but at this point I have no real excitement until the last 3-4 games of the year, when the young players who haven't gotten much time will hopefully get an extended look and give me some hope for the future.

Edited by LZIp

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Some just are what they are. The O-line isn't going to miraculously improve and we are incredibly short handed at RB. 

I saw Decavilon Reese made an appearance Saturday? No idea what the story is on him. Maybe NCAA clearing house issues held him out the first half of the season? Just a guess...

I was back in town for this game, and genuinely excited to have homecoming on a beautiful October day against Kent.  The team's poor execution on the field left me with a sick feeling (or perhaps it was the food trucks at the alumni tailgate).  It reminded me how low the floor is for teams in the MAC - not only do you not win games, but you don't even really compete.  Unlike the Ianello years, I think the Akron players had a lot of talent, they just weren't working to their potential nor working with each other as one unit.  Arth has a lot to work with, but unless he figures out how to bring them up to FBS Gameday speed, it's going to be a couple of long winless years.  I don't expect miracles with a coaching change, but the quick reversion back to how we looked pre-Bowden gives me a new appreciation for everything Terry was able to accomplish at the University.  Is Hoban's coach available at a price the University can afford?  They played Saturday night and looked like they would give these Zips a run for their money - maybe Arth could use him on the staff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I was back in town for this game, and genuinely excited to have homecoming on a beautiful October day against Kent.  The team's poor execution on the field left me with a sick feeling (or perhaps it was the food trucks at the alumni tailgate).  It reminded me how low the floor is for teams in the MAC - not only do you not win games, but you don't even really compete.  Unlike the Ianello years, I think the Akron players had a lot of talent, they just weren't working to their potential nor working with each other as one unit.  Arth has a lot to work with, but unless he figures out how to bring them up to FBS Gameday speed, it's going to be a couple of long winless years.  I don't expect miracles with a coaching change, but the quick reversion back to how we looked pre-Bowden gives me a new appreciation for everything Terry was able to accomplish at the University.  Is Hoban's coach available at a price the University can afford?  They played Saturday night and looked like they would give these Zips a run for their money - maybe Arth could use him on the staff.

I appreciate the observations, but I don't see the talent you do.  Offensive line is awful, they have no running backs and the DBs are a mess.

As for Hoban's coach, he sure could help recruiting.

Watching Zips Football Weekly now with Coach Arth and it’s one of the more painful things to watch trying to get some positives out of that debacle on Saturday. Like interviewing Baghdad Bob after Iraq had been taken over. Props to Joe Dunn for getting through it and remain positive. 

Congratulations to Andy Allman though! A great local player. 

Go Zips! 

Edited by ColemanCrawfordsMustache
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I appreciate the observations, but I don't see the talent you do.  Offensive line is awful, they have no running backs and the DBs are a mess.

As for Hoban's coach, he sure could help recruiting.

You might be ignoring the fact that Hoban's coach is hated by many public and private high school coaches in the region due to his blatant recruiting.  Hard to imagine they would step forward to help him fill gaps in Akron if he were offered the Zips job.  Payback, as they say.

11 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

You might be ignoring the fact that Hoban's coach is hated by many public and private high school coaches in the region due to his blatant recruiting.  Hard to imagine they would step forward to help him fill gaps in Akron if he were offered the Zips job.  Payback, as they say.

Good point.  I said it more tongue in cheek, referencing the "recruiting" rumors surrounding him.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:51 PM, ZipsVoice said:

D1 OHSAA experience is a lot different than NCAA....slap your own dick....especially if you thought anyone cared on the field the last three games of the 2018 season under what you claim were great coaches....and guess what, the coaches on that field cared less than the players did.

Yes, because I was talking about high school, you got me.

Just know this, there were a lot of football alumni at that game, we all talk, and not one person to a man thinks what's going on with this team under Arth is anything but a disgrace.  Guys that have been in the program and worn the uniform know what to look for, and it's not being found.  This was one of the most boneheaded hiring decisions in school history.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, InTheZone said:

Yes, because I was talking about high school, you got me.

Just know this, there were a lot of football alumni at that game, we all talk, and not one person to a man thinks what's going on with this team under Arth is anything but a disgrace.  Guys that have been in the program and worn the uniform know what to look for, and it's not being found.  This was one of the most boneheaded hiring decisions in school history.

The problem with this board has become this pipedream that firing Bowden would result in hiring a superior coach. No one is willing to own up to the idea that the odds were against us. Great coaches dont grow on trees and William's obviously doesn't have the talent for finding them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

The same people who wanted Bowden gone now are defending Arth.

Very strange.

No we are not....why can’t you get it through your head that just because we wanted to see a coaching regime that had given up on the season, the team, the school, and the few hundred left that attend games...that we are defenders or fans of the current staff.  Mutually exclusive....look it up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

No we are not....why can’t you get it through your head that just because we wanted to see a coaching regime that had given up on the season, the team, the school, and the few hundred left that attend games...that we are defenders or fans of the current staff.  Mutually exclusive....look it up.

Blah, blah, blah... you are the only one pushing this given up crap...if you were pushing firing Bowden, you darn well better have a great solution. Williams did not.We are now the worst team in college football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Blah, blah, blah... you are the only one pushing this given up crap...if you were pushing firing Bowden, you darn well better have a great solution. Williams did not.We are now the worst team in college football.

Can we move this entire Bowden v. Arth conversation into the ‘beating a dead horse’ thread?  Bowden isn’t coming back and Arth isn’t going anywhere at least for the rest of this season and we are still flogging away at the topic. In the meantime a major contributor to the team announced that he can no longer play for medical reasons and the thread got a whopping 5 responses. The thread for tomorrow’s game has barely been used.  There are more important things happening. Please join the rest of us in real time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, I love Zippy said:

Can we move this entire Bowden v. Arth conversation into the ‘beating a dead horse’ thread?  Bowden isn’t coming back and Arth isn’t going anywhere at least for the rest of this season and we are still flogging away at the topic. In the meantime a major contributor to the team announced that he can no longer play for medical reasons and the thread got a whopping 5 responses. The thread for tomorrow’s game has barely been used.  There are more important things happening. Please join the rest of us in real time!

Awww man... I was thoroughly enjoying revisiting a schedule with VMI on it as our only win that year... You're no fun. And to think we're only halfway through the football season having this discussion, and we still have an entire basketball season to debate Groce vs. Dambrot. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1