Differences [Arth/Bowden]

UAZipster0305

10 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

It seems pretty apparent that the AD wanted to go with younger coaches hoping for a better long term return than SUB .500. OK!  Then lets not compare b.ball and football. Two completely different situations. I am not going to assume that Arth and Co. are going to win a MAC champeenship. But I hope so! I didn't assume JD and Co. were going to win a MAC. NONE OF U DID! If u haven't figured it out by now, this is the sports life at U of A.. If U do not like it there needs to be a more drastic solution. Figure out what it is!

See U at the game on Saturday! Right?!

i will be there.  i have a field pass which is probably a waste on me since my football IQ is quite low.  But I now know to watch the offensive line.

Difference between Arth and Bowden? How about a eff'n competent staff?? What an embarrassment. Larry Williams can go screw himself.  We had one of the best staffs in place in the history of this University and he goes and fires them all, hires this numbskull and his band of D3 misfits.

John Carroll called, they want their 15k stipend coaches back.  Freaking amateur hour.  They should call up Terry and beg him to come back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, InTheZone said:

Difference between Arth and Bowden? How about a eff'n competent staff?? What an embarrassment. Larry Williams can go screw himself.  We had one of the best staffs in place in the history of this University and he goes and fires them all, hires this numbskull and his band of D3 misfits.

John Carroll called, they want their 15k stipend coaches back.  Freaking amateur hour.  They should call up Terry and beg him to come back.

Do you feel better now?

28 minutes ago, roopride said:

Last two games I have talked to three parents, none that I know. When asked to comment on their kids experience now vs Bowden all have said much better now. None are current starters. 

I have heard Arth talk a few times and pretty impressed. 

Yes at some point it needs to translate to wins. 

Thank you.  Change is hard and transitioning to a new coach and system is harder for everyone.  Like I do with the basketball team,  I look around the MAC and see what's going on with the other schools and how they are improving after hitting rock bottom.  The reasonable approach is to look at what's going on at Eastern Michigan and Buffalo and also at Kent, although with Kent it's still too early.  At EMU and Buffalo, those coaches had a rocky start over the first two seasons and then things got a lot better.  Leipold at Buffalo was a DIII coach at Whitewater and has done a great job at Buffalo.  Creighton at EMU was at Wabash and Drake and had rough couple years at EMU before turning around that program.  Kent almost reached the Orange Bowl then a bad coach crashed the program.  The word on the ground is that the new coach is making things happen after an awful first season in Ravenna.  Just going to take time.  However, until Arth begins winning this board will be held hostage by the trolls.  They need a place to vent as well.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, InTheZone said:

Can you say Milwee? Enough said.

• Like 1

One of the things I think the previous staff did well was emphasize beating Kent. Obviously these guys want to beat Kent too, but I want to see fire and desire. Like if you win one game all year make this the one. That's one way these guys could win over a lot of people I feel like. Lewis at Kent is big on rivalries and beating Akron, so those boys are going to be fired up. I'm concerned about that game. 

18 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

One of the things I think the previous staff did well was emphasize beating Kent. 

I agree with this one. Remember when coach Bowden showed up at the basketball game and screamed BEAT KENT the minute he got here? Loved that.

The other difference I see will be the lack of the Florida recruit. Coach Bowden had some great connections in Florida that landed some of our best athletes. 

Go Zips!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

One of the things I think the previous staff did well was emphasize beating Kent. Obviously these guys want to beat Kent too, but I want to see fire and desire. Like if you win one game all year make this the one. That's one way these guys could win over a lot of people I feel like. Lewis at Kent is big on rivalries and beating Akron, so those boys are going to be fired up. I'm concerned about that game. 

I stayed at that one until the final bungled PAT.  Kent will want revenge for that one.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:51 PM, roopride said:

Last two games I have talked to three parents, none that I know. When asked to comment on their kids experience now vs Bowden all have said much better now. None are current starters. 

I have heard Arth talk a few times and pretty impressed. 

Yes at some point it needs to translate to wins. 

So since the parents of bench players like the nice D3 coach we should be all giddy?  D3 coaches are really nice people, they have to be, they don't give scholarships.  The kids are all paying their own way to play so the coaches are nice to keep enrollment numbers up.  Akron is a NCAA Division I FBS Program and we give 85 scholarships a year and pay coaches/football support staff more than 2.5 million dollars in salary and benefits. It's their job to win games, not be summer camp counselors.

0-12

On 9/24/2019 at 10:18 PM, NWAkron said:

Thank you.  Change is hard and transitioning to a new coach and system is harder for everyone.  Like I do with the basketball team,  I look around the MAC and see what's going on with the other schools and how they are improving after hitting rock bottom.  The reasonable approach is to look at what's going on at Eastern Michigan and Buffalo and also at Kent, although with Kent it's still too early.  At EMU and Buffalo, those coaches had a rocky start over the first two seasons and then things got a lot better.  Leipold at Buffalo was a DIII coach at Whitewater and has done a great job at Buffalo.  Creighton at EMU was at Wabash and Drake and had rough couple years at EMU before turning around that program.  Kent almost reached the Orange Bowl then a bad coach crashed the program.  The word on the ground is that the new coach is making things happen after an awful first season in Ravenna.  Just going to take time.  However, until Arth begins winning this board will be held hostage by the trolls.  They need a place to vent as well.

Lance Leipold was the Head Coach at Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawks and won the NCAA Division III Football Championship in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014 and were runners-up in 2008. Their opponent in each of those title games was Mount Union. Leipold reached 100 victories faster than any coach in National Collegiate Athletic Association history, doing so in his 106th game on October 18, 2014.

Contrast this to Tom Arth, who went 40-8 as a D3 head coach, never made it to the NCAA Finals, and who took over a Chattanooga program that was a playoff team and went 9-13, 7-9 in conference play, and lost 5 of the last 7 games last year before Akron was the only school in America that felt like he should be a D1 FBS head coach.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is Bowden still on staff in some capacity?  Wonder what he is thinking.  I doubt if he is just a "well I'm getting paid" guy.  It has to hurt seeing up close what you were trying to build take so many steps back.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Is Bowden still on staff in some capacity?  Wonder what he is thinking.  I doubt if he is just a "well I'm getting paid" guy.  It has to hurt seeing up close what you were trying to build take so many steps back.  

He is an unpaid Grad Assistant at Clemson.

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

He is an unpaid Grad Assistant at Clemson.

Interesting.  I've heard about these "unpaid" positions.  Does he really do anything?  Or is he paying Clemson for keeping his resume up-to-date?  He certainly has a lot of personal experience around big-time programs.  

Edited by Cykron

4 hours ago, Cykron said:

Interesting.  I've heard about these "unpaid" positions.  Does he really do anything?  Or is he paying Clemson for keeping his resume up-to-date?  He certainly has a lot of personal experience around big-time programs.  

He's paying Clemson money to attend grad school.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

He's paying Clemson money to attend grad school.

He already attended grad school...at AKRON.  (yet we jettisoned him for a guy with no connection to Akron, a 9-13 record, no notoriety in college football...).

It's to keep his "Resume Recent" and he probably just wants something to do that doesn't jeopardize the two-year free paycheck for Akron jettisoning him prematurely.  I've heard the Clemson area is very nice.  lol.  If I was collecting two-years salary to sit on my ass...shoot, I'd go do just about anything I've ever wanted to do.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Balsy said:

He already attended grad school...at AKRON.  (yet we jettisoned him for a guy with no connection to Akron, a 9-13 record, no notoriety in college football...).

It's to keep his "Resume Recent" and he probably just wants something to do that doesn't jeopardize the two-year free paycheck for Akron jettisoning him prematurely.  I've heard the Clemson area is very nice.  lol.  If I was collecting two-years salary to sit on my ass...shoot, I'd go do just about anything I've ever wanted to do.

Not sure what you're arguing. What I said is factually accurate. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2019/06/10/terry-bowden-joining-clemson-football-coaching-staff-unpaid-intern/1411133001/

Bowden, 63, will serve as a graduate intern while paying his own way to pursue a higher degree in athletic leadership.

20 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

When do we start the, "Fire Arth" thread? This guy does not deserve a second year, and I am not sure he deserves to complete this year. We have legit talent in the transfer portal and this season is a dumpster fire rivaling the Ianello years. What a disaster. Thanks, Larry Williams.

You might want to start a Gofundme page for his buyout.