Differences [Arth/Bowden]

UAZipster0305

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

When do we start the, "Fire Arth" thread? This guy does not deserve a second year, and I am not sure he deserves to complete this year. We have legit talent in the transfer portal and this season is a dumpster fire rivaling the Ianello years. What a disaster. Thanks, Larry Williams.

Funny how the Bowden-Sucked-Trust-The-Process people are slowly tapering off.  The thread should probably start after we lose to BGSU in embarrassing fashion.

Can anyone really tell the difference between these two seasons:

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 11.22.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-16 at 11.23.40 AM.png

Oh wait...the season on the right we'd won a game.  The guy is a disaster in WAY over his head.  And it saddens me that there are serious Zips fans on here who were happy jettisoning what we had for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

Funny how the Bowden-Sucked-Trust-The-Process people are slowly tapering off.  The thread should probably start after we lose to BGSU in embarrassing fashion.

Can anyone really tell the difference between these two seasons:

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 11.22.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-16 at 11.23.40 AM.png

Oh wait...the season on the right we'd won a game.  The guy is a disaster in WAY over his head.  And it saddens me that there are serious Zips fans on here who were happy jettisoning what we had for this.

I don't think anyone on here got a vote on who would be the coach if Bowden got jettisoned.   People's dissatisfaction with Bowden and the identity of his replacement are two entirely separate issues.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't think anyone on here got a vote on who would be the coach if Bowden got jettisoned.   People's dissatisfaction with Bowden and the identity of his replacement are two entirely separate issues.

There is no doubt in my mind there were vocal VIP (or at least think they are VIP) alumni who were starting to run their mouths.  They might not be on this forum; but there is no way in hell there wasn't alumni making a stink to people who can make the decision to jettison the coach.

Edited by Balsy

43 minutes ago, Balsy said:

There is no doubt in my mind there were vocal VIP (or at least think they are VIP) alumni who were starting to run their mouths.  They might not be on this forum; but there is no way in hell there wasn't alumni making a stink to people who can make the decision to jettison the coach.

Agreed.   The problem is that your post lump equate being anti-Bowden with being pro-Arth.  I was ready to see Bowden and his issues move along, but that doesn't mean I wholeheartedly support Arth.  For me, that jury's still out.

• Like 1

I contend, and have for nearly a year, that anyone that watched the football game that took place at Infocision Stadium on November 17, 2018 would be ashamed to wear the University of Akron's colors due to the coaches literally not trying to extend the game as the Zips failed to find the end zone against a bottom 5 defense. Bad football is bad football is bad football, but when you QUIT on the team, and in turn the players don't play hard, or you know fall asleep on the bench, or let the team run onto the wrong side of the field, please see yourself out the door. Year 7. Shame on you. Shame on all of you. That's a big time loser mentality. 

I simply don’t understand the myopic nature of the other side of the argument. Folks, it really isn't difficult. In year 7, you should NEVER gain less than 100 yards of offense in a game against Eastern bleeping Michigan. And then follow that up with a big fat turd on senior day when the coaches, again, QUIT on the team. Specifically, quit on one of the most successful senior classes in the program's history. 

N O B O D Y   I S    S A Y I N G   A R T H   I S   G O I N G   T O   B E   T H E   S A V I O R   O F   A K R O N   F O O T B A L L

I wish that team last year was mediocre, we might've seen them make a bowl game! Instead, in year 7 of a regime, the 2018 Akron Zips would have had a hard time covering a 7-point spread against a significantly less experienced and talented 2019 Akron Zips team. And, again, they quit against Bowling Green. 

I was cracking beers and doing a dance the day the quitter was let go by UA athletics, and I was tremendously skeptical of the impending coaching search and even perplexed by the hire. Specifically, I was worried at how perfect administration deemed the coach they hired. I simply didn't (and don't) really see where that excitement comes from. The off-the-field stuff looks improved and they're playing hard, but that's it so far. 

GO ZIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could be there Saturday!!!!!

Edited by LoyalZIP
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I contend, and have for nearly a year, that anyone that watched the football game that took place at Infocision Stadium on November 17, 2018 would be ashamed to wear the University of Akron's colors due to the coaches literally not trying to extend the game as the Zips failed to find the end zone against a bottom 5 defense. Bad football is bad football is bad football, but when you QUIT on the team, and in turn the players don't play hard, or you know fall asleep on the bench, or let the team run onto the wrong side of the field, please see yourself out the door. Year 7. Shame on you. Shame on all of you. That's a big time loser mentality. 

I simply don’t understand the myopic nature of the other side of the argument. Folks, it really isn't difficult. In year 7, you should NEVER gain less than 100 yards of offense in a game against Eastern bleeping Michigan. And then follow that up with a big fat turd on senior day when the coaches, again, QUIT on the team. Specifically, quit on one of the most successful senior classes in the program's history. 

N O B O D Y   I S    S A Y I N G   A R T H   I S   G O I N G   T O   B E   T H E   S A V I O R   O F   A K R O N   F O O T B A L L

I wish that team last year was mediocre, we might've seen them make a bowl game! Instead, in year 7 of a regime, the 2018 Akron Zips would have had a hard time covering a 7-point spread against a significantly less experienced and talented 2019 Akron Zips team. And, again, they quit against Bowling Green. 

I was cracking beers and doing a dance the day the quitter was let go by UA athletics, and I was tremendously skeptical of the impending coaching search and even perplexed by the hire. Specifically, I was worried at how perfect administration deemed the coach they hired. I simply didn't (and don't) really see where that excitement comes from. The off-the-field stuff looks improved and they're playing hard, but that's it so far. 

GO ZIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could be there Saturday!!!!!

Delusional....this is your subjective perspective that can only be based on your perception of what you saw and you act as though it was fact. Not everyone agrees with you and since it is subjective, it will never be settled. You consistently overlook the milestones achieved by Bowden, that is truly myopic. 

What is discernible, however, are the kids in the transfer portal and the winless record. They have given up on the program. That is measurable.

What is more, the fantasy that you will strike gold in finding a replacement that exceeds Bowden in talent and ability to recruit. If you think you will, you should probably be playing the lottery, too. How many local kids have committed to Akron since Bowden was fired? Let's not forget that Bowden's recruiting travel budget was cut and he was told to focus on Ohio kids. Where do we see Arth recruiting? 

• Like 1

Delusional....this is your subjective perspective that can only be based on your perception of what you saw and you act as though it was fact. Not everyone agrees with you and since it is subjective, it will never be settled. You consistently overlook the milestones achieved by Bowden, that is truly myopic. 

What is discernible, however, are the kids in the transfer portal and the winless record. They have given up on the program. That is measurable.

What is more, the fantasy that you will strike gold in finding a replacement that exceeds Bowden in talent and ability to recruit. If you think you will, you should probably be playing the lottery, too. How many local kids have committed to Akron since Bowden was fired? Let's not forget that Bowden's recruiting travel budget was cut and he was told to focus on Ohio kids. Where do we see Arth recruiting? 

BRO, THIS ISN'T ABOUT ARTH. WHAT ARE YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING?

I acknowledge the previous staff's accomplishments, but that doesn't give them an excuse for what they became. My stance here is the very opposite of myopic.

I loved that staff for a long time. Hell, go back and read some of my old posts from the glory days of Terry Bowden football at Akron. I fought for that group for a very long time. They brought us some amazing moments and a bunch of unforgettable wins, but if you wanna tell me that things were the same last year as they were in 2015.....yikes. No need to lie to yourself. No overlooking here. 

Also, taking 2 timeouts home with you after having nearly 10 minutes to muster 2 touchdowns against a bottom 5 defense in year 7 is the definition of QUITTING and not giving your student-athletes the best chance to win.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

BRO, THIS ISN'T ABOUT ARTH. WHAT ARE YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING?

I acknowledge the previous staff's accomplishments, but that doesn't give them an excuse for what they became. My stance here is the very opposite of myopic.

I loved that staff for a long time. Hell, go back and read some of my old posts from the glory days of Terry Bowden football at Akron. I fought for that group for a very long time. They brought us some amazing moments and a bunch of unforgettable wins, but if you wanna tell me that things were the same last year as they were in 2015.....yikes. No need to lie to yourself. No overlooking here. 

Also, taking 2 timeouts home with you after having nearly 10 minutes to muster 2 touchdowns against a bottom 5 defense in year 7 is the definition of QUITTING and not giving your student-athletes the best chance to win.

BROOOO You are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't make it fact. 

Arth sucks, William's has us in an impossible spot where we can't afford to get rid of him and we are the laughing stock of D1. Yes, sticking with Bowden was a better choice and maybe we should start by firing Larry Williams.

16 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

BROOOO You are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't make it fact. 

Arth sucks, William's has us in an impossible spot where we can't afford to get rid of him and we are the laughing stock of D1. Yes, sticking with Bowden was a better choice and maybe we should start by firing Larry Williams.

?? I'd like to hear the argument in favor of that staff doing everything they could to win that game. I'd love to hear it. There's no shame in being wrong, son. I admitted I was wrong about Terry and so can you. 

My argument, as I have stated ad nauseam, has not the slightest thing to do with Arth. If that's all you can bring to this discussion, I appreciate you conceding defeat to simple logic. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone here really think that if we kept Bowden that this team would be good? We went 4-8 last year on a team that anyone with two eye balls could see had way more talent than this years one. One of those 4 wins came against an FCS opponent, which we didn't even play an FCS team this year. No, I'm not here to defend or make excuses for Arth. I wasn't thrilled with the hire myself. What I'm willing to say though is this team would suck regardless of who was coaching it as there is a clear lack of talent and depth on the roster. Considering Bowden offered ~75% of these guys scholarships a lot of the blame for the talent deficiency falls on him.

Unless an unexpected win occurs this team is going to go 0-12. If you want to argue Bowden would have us at 3-9 that's fine, I'm not going to bother arguing with you. Either way both would be terrible seasons that I'd have no interest in watching. The Bowden blowhards around here talk so much about how the name was an asset for recruits, but every year we had a sub par MAC recruiting class. He had some early success in hitting on some transfers that helped mask some of his recruiting deficiencies, but then he quit hitting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Does anyone here really think that if we kept Bowden that this team would be good? We went 4-8 last year on a team that anyone with two eye balls could see had way more talent than this years one. One of those 4 wins came against an FCS opponent, which we didn't even play an FCS team this year. No, I'm not here to defend or make excuses for Arth. I wasn't thrilled with the hire myself. What I'm willing to say though is this team would suck regardless of who was coaching it as there is a clear lack of talent and depth on the roster. Considering Bowden offered ~75% of these guys scholarships a lot of the blame for the talent deficiency falls on him.

Unless an unexpected win occurs this team is going to go 0-12. If you want to argue Bowden would have us at 3-9 that's fine, I'm not going to bother arguing with you. Either way both would be terrible seasons that I'd have no interest in watching. The Bowden blowhards around here talk so much about how the name was an asset for recruits, but every year we had a sub par MAC recruiting class. He had some early success in hitting on some transfers that helped mask some of his recruiting deficiencies, but then he quit hitting.

Yup. But we will never know thanks to an idiot AD who has made us the laughing stock of D1.

53 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Yup. But we will never know thanks to an idiot AD who has made us the laughing stock of D1.

I want whatever you're smoking. We lost something like 7-8 starters off of what was a fairly decent defense and would have still had an anemic offense with Milwee calling the plays. It's not even worth talking to you if you believe this would be a "good" (6+ win) team had we kept Bowden considering the talent we lost off of our 4-8 team. Akron could have hired Urban Meyer and we'd have still sucked this season.

Edited by kreed5120

31 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I want whatever you're smoking. We lost something like 7-8 starters off of what was a fairly decent defense and would have still had an anemic offense with Milwee calling the plays. It's not even worth talking to you if you believe this would be a "good" (6+ win) team had we kept Bowden considering the talent we lost off of our 4-8 team. Akron could have hired Urban Meyer and we'd have still sucked this season.

Spare me...Arth for some unknown reason has not taken advantage of the talent he has. So many athletes that were impact players last year seem nearly silent or absent this year. 

As others have said, the plays being called this year make Milwee look like a play-calling genius.

7 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Spare me...Arth for some unknown reason has not taken advantage of the talent he has. So many athletes that were impact players last year seem nearly silent or absent this year. 

As others have said, the plays being called this year make Milwee look like a play-calling genius.

I'd love to hear who these "impact players" are that you're referring to.

As mentioned before the entire defense is pretty much all new starters. Kato statistically is on pace to have a better season this year than last year. Our leading return back had a whopping 128 yards last season on 3.3 ypc. Our offensive line has been an issue for a number of years. The only returning receiver that really did anything for us last season that's disappointing this year is Andrew Williams. Nate Stewart, Burkhart, and Knight all already have more receiving yards through 6 games this season than they had all of last season.

image.png

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd love to hear who these "impact players" are that you're referring to.

As mentioned before the entire defense is pretty much all new starters. Kato statistically is on pace to have a better season this year than last year. Our leading return back had a whopping 128 yards last season on 3.3 ypc. Our offensive line has been an issue for a number of years. The only returning receiver that really did anything for us last season that's disappointing this year is Andrew Williams. Nate Stewart, Burkhart, and Knight all already have more receiving yards through 6 games this season than they had all of last season.

image.png

They have also been healthy this year, Arth has been lucky, and he still doesn't know how to use them.

But to your point, better individual performances by those players and Artg still can't win. 

They have also been healthy this year, Arth has been lucky, and he still doesn't know how to use them.

But to your point, better individual performances by those players and Artg still can't win. 

I've never argued that Arth was the right guy for the job. I'm just scratching my head here trying to think of what possible players you're referring to when you said "So many athletes that were impact players last year seem nearly silent or absent this year". If there are so many, you shouldn't have trouble naming them. Where is this untapped talent that I'm missing?

Something in the water in NE Ohio. Browns fans..Zips fans..nobody has any patience. Fire, start over, fire, start over. Loser mentality. I'm glad we are stuck with Arth for a few years. A chance to see the process through and make the correct decision on how to proceed.

Edited by LZIp

17 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Something in the water in NE Ohio. Browns fans..Zips fans..nobody has any patience. Fire, start over, fire, start over. Loser mentality. I'm glad we are stuck with Arth for a few years. A chance to see the process through and make the correct decision on how to proceed.

At least we have a great low benchmark in place.

Can Arth top the 2 wins icoach achieved in his decade here.

Oh wait it was only 2 years; just seemed like a decade.

41 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Losing to UMass is as low as this program can go and we went there. Thatbis not impatience. It is the rlclear recognition that the Titantic is about to go under.

Last I checked, UMASS got their first ever FBS win against a Terry Bowden led Akron.

• Like 3