2023 Offers

• 7 months later...
28 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

He's been around the program since Jimmond was a freshman. Nice kid. 

If he's half of what Jimond was the Zips would be blessed to have him.  I don't know that there's been any other Zip I enjoyed watch grow up more in a program than Jimond.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If he's half of what Jimond was the Zips would be blessed to have him.  I don't know that there's been any other Zip I enjoyed watch grow up more in a program than Jimond.

Jimond was frustrating at times, but damn did he pour Blue & Gold blood, sweat, and tears on the court for the University. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Jimond was frustrating at times, but damn did he pour Blue & Gold blood, sweat, and tears on the court for the University. 

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

+1. He's one of my all-time favorite Zips.

He became less frustrating as he evolved as a player.  He went from being the out of control crazy athletic layup missing brick laying freshman to a solid team leader.

I went up to his dad on senior night and told him how much I had enjoyed watching Jimond grow up in the program and how much I appreciated how he stuck it out through the Dambrot/Groce transition.  I also remember how proud Groce was with how he followed though with his plan to graduate.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've noticed a kid in the Beacon Journal boxes recently whose name might bring a smile to the faces of you "experienced" Zips fans.  A point guard for the Buchtel Griffins named MARCEL BOYCE JR.!  Class of '23, playing point guard with on a team with 5 star recruit Chris Livingston.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 3

Here's a blurb from the Beacon on the young Mr. Boyce in their high school spotlight-

MARCEL BOYCE JR.

Buchtel, basketball

Boyce, a sophomore, scored 16 points in a 96-32 win over Ellet, 22 points in a 88-79 victory over Archbishop Hoban and 24 points in a 79-78 loss to Walsh Jesuit this week. He also recently scored 10 points in a 78-75 win over Medina, 16 points in a 88-82 victory over Cleveland Heights Lutheran East and 31 points in a 88-37 win over Ellet.

• 7 months later...

Since I paid for Prep Hoops/Illinois let's see what kind of fun Coach Groce & Company has been having in my backyard regarding the 2023 class. The following six prospects from Illinois already have offers from Akron.

Posted On: 09/19/21

Davius Loury (Kenwood) 6-7 PF

Current Ranking: #5

Loury is a power forward from Kenwood that sometimes gets caught in Javonte Taylor's (#1 Prospect) shadow, but he is a high-major prospect in his own right.  When he is at his best Loury is playing with a high motor making plays as an inside/outside threat.  Capable of knocking down shots, winning on drives, pounding opponents in the post, and rebounding.

Miles Rubin (Simeon) 6-8 PF

Current Ranking: #9

Rubin is making the move over from HF for his junior year.  The lefty four man is so quick around the hoop getting on the glass, swatting shots, and throwing down dunks.  Excellent getting on the offensive glass for second chance points.  One of the higher ceiling posts in the class.

Wesley Rubin (Simeon) 6-8 PF

Current Ranking: #17

The other Rubin twin is another D1 prospect.  He is a righty, thicker build, and more offensively skilled.  High level passer that slices up defenses with his distributing skills out of the post.  Touch around the hoop and can put it on the deck.

Daniel Johnson (Whitney Young) 6-6 G/SF

Current Ranking: #8

The three and D wing is all the rage and that is exactly what this Whitney Young small forward brings to the table.  Multi positional defender that uses his length and lateral quickness to lock down on the perimeter.  On the other end is among the top snipers in the class with his free and ease release off the catch.

Sam Lewis (OPRF) 6-5 G/SF

Current Ranking: #10

Lewis is another top notch shot maker which is where he makes his money.  Was outstanding this summer as a spot up shooter draining threes in bunches game after game.  Quick and concise release with consistent accuracy.

Ty Pence (St. Joseph Ogden) 6-6 G/SF

Current Ranking: #11

Pence is among the better prospects from central Illinois in the 2023 class.  The two guard showed well when we saw him in late June.  Better athlete than given credit as he can get up for an alley-oop and showed some burst off the dribble.  Effective scoring off both movement and with the ball in his hands.

Kudos to Scott Burgess/Prep Hoops.  Go Zips!!

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Getting players from the Transfer Portal makes a lot of sense to me.  Two examples: one  HS small forward we're currently putting resources into recruiting (David Tubek) also has offers from Memphis, Arizona State, Creighton, Xavier, Kansas, Texas, UNLV, and WV. Another HS small forward we're recruiting (JaQualon Roberts) has offers from Iowa, Butler, Indiana, UMass, and Indiana State.

How much easier it is to get a transfer from a P5 program who has already had a year or two to physically mature, and is probably a very good player who's just not getting the PT he dreamed of at his dream school.

EDIT: As an aside, maybe we're actively recruiting this caliber of player, of course hoping they sign with us, but perhaps to build a relationship in case they end up hitting the TP in two or three years?

Edited by Blue & Gold

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

EDIT: As an aside, maybe we're actively recruiting this caliber of player, of course hoping they sign with us, but perhaps to build a relationship in case they end up hitting the TP in two or three years?

This is a good thought and how we landed Castaneda. Groce recruited him at Illinois.