Where in the World is Larry Williams? What does he do?

DannyHoke

Apathy is appropriate in as much a an A should be on the helmet.  Today will show me something about Arth in how these guys compete. Let's watch.  Let's the see crowd that shows up. Not a lot of hype about the AKRON/KENT STATE game here, there, or anywhere. Went to Ray's Place last night to watch the Cards/Nats and did not hear anyone mention the game or see anything from Kent or Akron Football in the bar. Both programs are rather invisible. We go for 5 in a row today and have won the last 3 v Kent at home. But no hype.The Wagon Wheel Football game is not even promoted in the first 8 stories on our own web site, and it's a home game. Soccer game is promoted, Rifle and Volleyball Match too. Football is out of sight and out of mind at Akron. 

6 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

Apathy is appropriate in as much a an A should be on the helmet.  Today will show me something about Arth in how these guys compete. Let's watch.  Let's the see crowd that shows up. Not a lot of hype about the AKRON/KENT STATE game here, there, or anywhere. Went to Ray's Place last night to watch the Cards/Nats and did not hear anyone mention the game or see anything from Kent or Akron Football in the bar. Both programs are rather invisible. We go for 5 in a row today and have won the last 3 v Kent at home. But no hype.The Wagon Wheel Football game is not even promoted in the first 8 stories on our own web site, and it's a home game. Soccer game is promoted, Rifle and Volleyball Match too. Football is out of sight and out of mind at Akron. 

The stories on the website home page are listed in chronological order with the most recently posted story listed first. It's not about which is "more important".

Show me a story where the Wagon Wheel game is mentioned? Promoted? And yeah, if it's  the  biggest home football game of the year someone should have put up a story this morning in the top page spot which had information on the game and how to get tickets.

24 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

Show me a story where the Wagon Wheel game is mentioned? Promoted? And yeah, if it's  the  biggest home football game of the year someone should have put up a story this morning in the top page spot which had information on the game and how to get tickets.

The game preview for the Kent game was posted on either Monday or Tuesday (I don't remember which). It's posted the day of the weekly press conference because it contains the game notes for the week which are distributed to the press at the press conference. 

44 minutes ago, AyYo said:

The game preview for the Kent game was posted on either Monday or Tuesday (I don't remember which). It's posted the day of the weekly press conference because it contains the game notes for the week which are distributed to the press at the press conference. 

And people going to the web site today see nothing about the game that starts in less than 6 hours.  Sounds like you may be a staffer that is in charge of promotion since you are so defensive. 

2 hours ago, DannyHoke said:

And people going to the web site today see nothing about the game that starts in less than 6 hours.  Sounds like you may be a staffer that is in charge of promotion since you are so defensive. 

I can assure you I'm not. Just know how things work. 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, Zipmeister said:

A report is prepared every year including last year.

Whether or not the report is made available to the general public is the schools prerogative.

You could force them to sell you a copy through the states open records law.

I believe you are incorrect on 2 counts. As a State institution, it is not the school's prerogative as to whether or not the report is made available to the general public. If you mean, it is their prerogative as to whether they post it on a web page or not, that may be true. However, they do have to make it available. Also, I do not believe they can charge the public for said report. Under the State's open records law, I believe they must provide it upon request. As it is likely in electronic format, providing it should be zero or minimal cost to the institution. Very tired of paying taxes to institutions and individuals who don't feel they need to be transparent and account for their actions.

Edited by Zip_ME87

@DannyHoke you make some good points. However, I find interesting your choice of coach's salary increase for which you chose to voice your disdain. What about the colossal waste of funds in buying out the last year of Terry Bowden's contract and buying Tom Arth out of his contract to bring him to UA. UA doesn't have those kind of funds. Some will argue that Football got such and such a payout from their Big games. Yes, that is true, but those funds should not have been wasted on buyouts. Let Bowden coach his last year, and then go after your new coach. To this day, I do not understand the fascination with Tom Arth, but it seems to be in line with the continued lack of skill in hiring a football coach. Don't bother to interview candidates and really screen them. Businesses have figured out how to interview and interact with potential job candidates to really get a feel for how they might perform. That doesn't seem to be the case for UA Athletics. How do you get Rob Ianello...Oh, he's from here or there; he knows Barry Alvarez,How do you get Tom Arth..Oh he has connections to D3 college football in Ohio.  ... Who cares? What does that have to do with recruiting and motivating players and knowing what to do on game day. This is Arth's first year; maybe there is an upside, but I don't see it. Watching his press conference following yesterday's Wagon Wheel debacle was almost as painful as watching those of Rob Ianello. I had to stop just a few minutes in. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, Zip_ME87 said:

I believe you are incorrect on 2 counts. As a State institution, it is not the school's prerogative as to whether or not the report is made available to the general public. If you mean, it is their prerogative as to whether they post it on a web page or not, that may be true. However, they do have to make it available. Also, I do not believe they can charge the public for said report. Under the State's open records law, I believe they must provide it upon request. As it is likely in electronic format, providing it should be zero or minimal cost to the institution. Very tired of paying taxes to institutions and individuals who don't feel they need to be transparent and account for their actions.

I know you are incorrect on all counts.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I know you are incorrect on all counts.

???

https://www.uakron.edu/ogc/legal-policies-and-procedures/records/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-public-records.dot

Who can make a request for public records?

Any person can request public records by simply asking for them. Usually, the request can be made in any manner the requester chooses: by phone, in person, or in an e-mail or letter. The requester cannot be required to identify him- or herself, or to explain why the records are being requested, unless a specific law requires it. Often, however, a voluntary discussion about the requester’s purposes or interest in seeking certain information can aid the public office in locating and producing the desired records.

What is a "public record"?

A public record means any records kept by any public office, except those records that are otherwise identified as exempt under the Ohio Public Records Act or the release of which is prohibited by state or federal law.

Ohio Revised Code § 149.011(G):

As used in this chapter, "records" include [1] any document, device, or item, regardless of physical form or characteristic; [2] created or received by or coming under the jurisdiction of any public office of the state or its political subdivisions; [3] which serves to document the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the office.

Are there fees for retrieving and copying records?

The law allows us to require prepayment of costs associated with producing copies, including copying and mailing expenses. Generally, the University may charge only its actual cost of producing copies of the records.

• 2 weeks later...

THAT DAMN LARRY WILLIAMS!  Look what he's done!  That damn volleyball team screwed up again, and WON AGAIN!  They're not following the script, winning after a big loss Friday night, they were supposed to fold and continue Williams' diabolical plan to kill Akron Athletics!  And those damn Swimmers!!! and those awful women's soccer players!!!  Don't they understand what Larry wants!  Total demise of all things Zippy!!!  We need to fire Herlihy and Peresie and Hanna for mutiny!  

????

• Like 1

Larry Williams has little if anything to do with the success of volleyball, swimming, or the upswing of Women's Soccer. The coaches of those programs were already in place when Larry arrived.

Williams’ tenure has also produced six new head coaches, including Tom Arth (football), John Groce (men’s basketball), Melissa Jackson (women’s basketball), Chris Sabo (baseball), Christy Mitchell (women’s lacrosse), and Meaggan Pettipiece (softball).   Source: GoZips.com, https://gozips.com/staff.aspx?staff=1 

We're all waiting for this great step forward in football, the sport which Larry played and about which he should know the most and have the most connections. To date, we've not seen an inkling that it will happen any time soon. I will also say that I've seen student athletes cut from our teams for less transgressions than that which our Men's Basketball coach allegedly allowed to transpire earlier this year and which is back in the news. Larry is a nice guy, but this is business. He has not made any progress with the 2 teams on which the UA Athletics Department is most reliant for revenue generation. In fact, both have gone significantly backward and look to be worsening. When contracts expire, and results aren't there, it's time to look for new leadership.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

On 10/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

???

https://www.uakron.edu/ogc/legal-policies-and-procedures/records/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-public-records.dot

Who can make a request for public records?

Any person can request public records by simply asking for them. Usually, the request can be made in any manner the requester chooses: by phone, in person, or in an e-mail or letter. The requester cannot be required to identify him- or herself, or to explain why the records are being requested, unless a specific law requires it. Often, however, a voluntary discussion about the requester’s purposes or interest in seeking certain information can aid the public office in locating and producing the desired records.

What is a "public record"?

A public record means any records kept by any public office, except those records that are otherwise identified as exempt under the Ohio Public Records Act or the release of which is prohibited by state or federal law.

Ohio Revised Code § 149.011(G):

As used in this chapter, "records" include [1] any document, device, or item, regardless of physical form or characteristic; [2] created or received by or coming under the jurisdiction of any public office of the state or its political subdivisions; [3] which serves to document the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the office.

Are there fees for retrieving and copying records?

The law allows us to require prepayment of costs associated with producing copies, including copying and mailing expenses. Generally, the University may charge only its actual cost of producing copies of the records.

I notice that the university policy you quote does not require that written records be released to the general public, and that a record requester may be required to pay a fee.

If this is your way of saying I was correct, you were wrong, and you are sorry, I accept your apology.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I notice that the university policy you quote does not require that written records be released to the general public, and that a record requester may be required to pay a fee.

If this is your way of saying I was correct, you were wrong, and you are sorry, I accept your apology.

semantics my friend. Fees for copying and mailing yes. I believe I said there should be no cost for providing an electronic file.

also It is a public record which can be requested by any one. 

“It is not the school's prerogative as to whether or not the report is made available to the general public. If you mean, it is their prerogative as to whether they post it on a web page or not, that may be true. However, they do have to make it available.”

By that I meant provide it upon request. 

11 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Larry Williams has little if anything to do with the success of volleyball, swimming, or the upswing of Women's Soccer. The coaches of those programs were already in place when Larry arrived.

But you also can't blame him for what a new staff and 100 players are doing with the dregs handed to them at the beginning of the process - no time to recruit, left over players from the Bowden era, etc. etc..  If this was year 3 or 4 and we're sucky like we are in FB then yes, but if we can't give him credit for allowing the Peresies and the Herlihys and the Hannas the latitude to continue their progress, then we can't blame him directly for the failure of the first year of the FB season.  If he was so bad, then why aren't we losing the Persies and Hannas etc, and keeping the Embicks?  I'm not saying he hasn't made some mistakes, and may still, but to blame him for every loss and not to give him some credit for the successful programs, no matger when the coach arrived, is disingenuous.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

But you also can't blame him for what a new staff and 100 players are doing with the dregs handed to them at the beginning of the process - no time to recruit, left over players from the Bowden era, etc. etc..  If this was year 3 or 4 and we're sucky like we are in FB then yes, but if we can't give him credit for allowing the Peresies and the Herlihys and the Hannas the latitude to continue their progress, then we can't blame him directly for the failure of the first year of the FB season.

You’re right. We’ll give it some time. We have no choice anyway  However, I see many similarities to 2010/11. RI was supposedly “building a foundation”, etc.; it quickly became quite obvious that he knew little about being a D1 head coach. I see many early, similar indicators. Ugh. Also, Larry has been at UA since 2015. Go back and read what his priorities were supposed to be concerning Football and Men’s Basketball. Little, if any, progress has been made in 4 years. In fact, Men’s Basketball has no doubt gone backward, not just on the court, but in number of season ticket holders and drama/bad publicity. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 6:13 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

semantics my friend. Fees for copying and mailing yes. I belie

also It is a public record which can be requested by any one. 

“It is not the school's prerogative as to whether or not the report is made available to the general public. If you mean, it is their prerogative as to whether they post it on a web page or not, that may be true. However, they do have to make it available.”

By that I meant provide it upon request. 

Oh my bad. I didn't realize that "they do have to make it available" meant that they have to" provide it upon request".

Whether to make a report available to the general public is most certainly the perogiaive of the school and so is the format in which the report is provided.

Your belief that "there should be no cost for providing an electronic file" may be true if you are referring to cost incurred by the university, but they don't have to provide you with an electronic file. All you have to do to prove me wrong is request the most recent annual athletic report from the UofA and tell them you want it in electronic format. If you are correct they should do it for free,  but don't be surprised if you get to pay for the hard copy of the report they send.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, Zipmeister said:

Oh my bad. I didn't realize that "they do have to make it available" meant that they have to" provide it upon request".

Whether to make a report available to the general public is most certainly the perogiaive of the school and so is the format in which the report is provided.

Your belief that "there should be no cost for providing an electronic file" may be true if you are referring to cost incurred by the university, but they don't have to provide you with an electronic file. All you have to do to prove me wrong is request the most recent annual athletic report from the UofA and tell them you want it in electronic format. If you are correct they should do it for free,  but don't be surprised if you get to pay for the hard copy of the report they send.

Hey Zipmeister...I just received an email with the electronic document attached FREE OF CHARGE. PM with your email address if you would like a copy.

2 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Hey Zipmeister...I just received an email with the electronic document attached FREE OF CHARGE. PM with your email address if you would like a copy.

Already have one, thanks.

Are you making your copy available to the general public?

Surprised they are sending out the electronic document.

We used to keep student assistants busy photocopying that kind of stuff to keep them busy and raise a little cash.

Either they have a more generous attitude or way fewer student assistants.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

We used to keep student assistants busy photocopying that kind of stuff to keep them busy and raise a little cash.

Either they have a more generous attitude or way fewer student assistants.

Perhaps someone complained and the State of Ohio stepped in to let UA know that they can't "make money" off of public records. UA can charge for the cost of making copies and mailing. Money can't be made off charging only what it costs. Ohio taxpayers paid for these records that are available to the public (upon request). I added the parenthetical because you seem to think there is a difference between records that the university puts out in the public domain and those that are available to the public upon request. To me, they are all public records.

14 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Are you making your copy available to the general public?

It's already available to the general public ... just request it from UA under the State of Ohio's public records statute. As I recall, my email request was 1 sentence.