Cornell - Sept. 28

Glancing through the Zips Men's Soccer Media Guide, the worst starts in Zips Men's Soccer history prior to 2019 were:

• 0-2: 1955, 1957, 1965, 1969, 1992, 2002, 2017
  • 0-2-1: 2014
  • 0-3-1: 2001

• Sad 1

On 9/28/2019 at 11:21 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Glancing through the Zips Men's Soccer Media Guide, the worst starts in Zips Men's Soccer history prior to 2019 were:

• 0-2: 1955, 1957, 1965, 1969, 1992, 2002, 2017
  • 0-2-1: 2014
  • 0-3-1: 2001

It seems to me like there are many of “us” who have given up on this team. We have to be positive for the team. Jared and staff did not become bad coaches over night. I am not a Cleveland native long but always been a college soccer fan. This team is talented. 

I, along with others, still believe in this team and staff. Seeing regular “fans” leave early on Saturday was appalling. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 5:24 AM, Zip_ME87 said:

I'm with you, fknbuflobo. I love my team and will follow them through adversity and success. I try to do all I can and am allowed to do to support them. I will be in my seat at my usual time looking forward to the true beginning of another great season. Forget what is past. Let's get this rolling this Saturday. Go Zips!

Didn’t you leave early disgusted? 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:31 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Does anyone know if the NCAA limits the number of players that a D1 Soccer team can play in a year?

I looked into this a little further....the NCAA does not have a rule as to how many players can play in a season, they just have to be on the schools roster at the beginning of the season.....the average D1 roster or squad list is 30 players.  Only 10 scholarships per year are allowed in D1 mens soccer, actually 9.9!

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Yes, I left the stands and walked out of the stadium to relieve tension, but I re-entered on the Union side. I watched the Double OT to the end. If you have a problem with me, then identify yourself to me in a private message and we can discuss. Don't make assumptions about someone giving up without knowing the facts. Even I have a breaking point and watching what was unfolding in front of our goal once again in that match was mine after having attended EVERY game this season.

49 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

It seems to me like there are many of “us” who have given up on this team. We have to be positive for the team. Jared and staff did not become bad coaches over night. I am not a Cleveland native long but always been a college soccer fan. This team is talented. 

I, along with others, still believe in this team and staff. Seeing regular “fans” leave early on Saturday was appalling. 

Posting facts about past records does not mean someone has given up. It's interesting how you post so little here, but yet you seem to consider yourself such a great fan. Part of being a fan is discussing what's happening, good and bad. Life isn't always rosy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YipaZip said:

YipaZip,  Zip_ME87 has been the only Non-parent that has been to all 5 road games this year.   Truth be told,  there are probably akron-cleveland area parents that have not been to all 5 road games.  This is not a criticism of the parents of the local players.   Traveling to Omaha, Huntington, College Park, MD, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh is very expensive and time consuming.

Zip_ME87's love and support for this team is undeniable.    YipaZip, did you travel to Wake Forest for the round of 16 last year and did you travel to Louisville for the NCAA quarters in 2017?

YipaZip,       Fknuflobo, ZIP_ME87 and many other "regular fans have been following the zips for 10+ , 20+ , 30+ years.    They are not band wagon fans.   I am more disgusted by season ticket holders that only show up for NCAA tournament  games.    I distinctly remember myself being at a late October home game in 2016 when the zips lost 3-0 in 2016 to a bad West Virginia team.     I was living in TN at the time and was only to make it to 3 home games that year(I did fly to LA that year to see zip games at SD State and UCLA).   I would have got up and left that late October 2016 game in disgust if I had been to all 11 home games.   Since I had not been to many games, I kept hoping that the team would get better during the game.   That zip team in October 2016....made very little effort in that game.   

Yes, this team is talented.   Yes, Jared, Ger and Michael Nanchoff are all great coaches.    ZipaZip, are you going to criticize Jared for criticizing the players that were arguing on the field about passes that did not get made?   YipaZip, are you going to criticize Jared for saying that all 11 players are not making a good effort for all 90 minutes?  Bottom line, this team is not playing the kind of soccer that Akron soccer fans have seen over the last 65 years.   All year long, we have seen one center back (on most pre-season all american teams) pass the ball almost exclusively to the other center back or to Sam Tojaga, the holding defensive midfielder.   There have been many times when Bradley Chick or the right def. back has been begging for the ball.  Akron soccer, especially in the Porter/Embick era, has been about spreading the field.      Akron soccer is about giving your teammate a thumbs up when they have made a good pass...that did not lead to results.   Akron soccer is about helping your young teammates with good suggestions, and not with whining criticism.    I have not seen enough of the team support and leadership that I am used to seeing.   David Egbo is one of the most brilliant, talented forwards in zips history.   I will be kind and say that David sometimes get down and distracted when calls don't go the way that that he wants.   Great goal scorers like Josef Martinez and Carlos Vela don't get down when things are not going well.

This Akron team is not winning 50/50 balls in the midfield.   Jared has said that many times in post game interviews or pre match interviews.    Akron has been fortunate over the years to have tremendous ball winners in the holding midfield (Zemanski, Perry Kitchen, Victor Souto, Will Trapp).     For this team to play true Akron soccer, Sam Tojaga and Henrique Cruz and Colin Biros must win more balls in the midfield. (perhaps , it is time to watch some game film of Perry Kitchen, the warrior from Indianapolis?)  Jared has consistently said that this team is losing the 1 vs. 1 battles for the ball.  That is a nice way of us saying that they are being outhustled.

After the Pitt game, I posted that I hoped that the beatdown in that game....would be a gut check game for this team.   I posted that I believed in the coaches and the talent on this team.    In the last 2 games, the team has not focused for a full 90 minutes (Jared's words....not mine)....and they are arguing among themselves (Jared's words, not mine).

I love Skye Harter....He is creative.  He is hard working.   I expected him to be a great captain this year.  His off season surgery has prevented Skye from being the great on field leader that I expected him to be.  I only want to see Skye back on the field when he is really close to being healthy.  That being said, that puts a bigger burden on David Egbo as a captain to help the guys up front and for Carlo and Daniel Strachan as captains to help Bradley Chick, Tom Smart and the new guys in the midfield.

I posted that after the Pitt game....that something had to change.   Something has changed....as the last 2 games....did not show the effort and talent that the zips showed against Stanford.   

Soccer is a very hard game with no margin for error.    The 2010 team was one of the most dominant teams that I have ever seen.  However, they came so perilously close to losing to Cal on a bitterly cold, snowy day in the NCAA quarters.   I was not a fan of the "unfinished business" signs and tweets from the athletic department early this year.   That made it sound like the finalist team from last year.....could just step out on the field and get the results that they wanted.   Colin Biros in the beacon article....said that the team probably thought that things would come easier to this group of talented guys.

This team is in crisis.   0-7-0 is not good.    Let's start the year afresh.....with a motto like "Soccer is hard, we are very good. and we will work harder than anyone else to get the results that we want".

The coaches can't do it by themselves....David Egbo can't do it by himself, Carlo can't do it by himself........Zip soccer.......11 guys.....rooting and pulling for each other ....and working together to improve.......is the answer.

Edited by TennZip
  • Like 2

Well stated TennZip.  I've been waiting for an analysis like this.  Jared and Caleb before him have had a real knack of recruiting talent, and as you stated and we know, this team is talent loaded.  We've had top recruiting classes year end and year out.  And this is no jab at all at Jared, but while we're recruiting talent, are we also looking at the intangible of finding players that fit the team chemistry?  I know you can't see it until everyone's together on the practice fields, but sometimes you get a feel for it, a glimpse of it in their club team play.  Are we looking for talent that plays together with teammates or just pure talent?  Or is it that these guys play for so many different teams and clubs and national programs during the off-season that they don't develop team concepts and chemistry like Akron likes to play?  Don't know, just kinda grasping at straws, because you are right about the lack of togetherness out there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YipaZip said:

This team is talented. 

Seeing regular “fans” leave early on Saturday was appalling. 

'Seeing regular “fans” leave early' is appalling. I wholeheartedly agree. But, ask yourself, why? Why would such a dedicated fan who loves this team and these players to the exclusion of any other feel that he had to leave? Have you personally seen enough games this season to see what is going on or tell if there is progression? I have. I've been to every game and cheered and welcomed our players because I'm happily there when they arrive. I have no doubt that the coaches have done and continue to do all they can. I know of the injuries. I see them because I'm there. So, I know what to expect and not expect from some players. But by goodness, THIS IS AKRON! A player doesn't become good just by playing at Akron. He can't just show up and expect to win a National Championship or a MAC Championship. Akron is good because Akron players give completely of themselves and team means more than self. I'd ask these players if they have that attitude. I see it in some, but I'm struggling to see it as a whole.

This team has talent, but talent without team attitude = 0-7-0.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YipaZip said:

Each of us fans, long term or otherwise, is ENTITLED to demonstrate our displeasure with the team we love, so long as we are not menacing, or profane, or Etc. etc.

I booed them openly and loudly on Saturday.  Not sure I have ever done that before, and if so, it has been decades since.

l have abiding affection and support for our coaches, and for our players.  But all that will NEVER compare to the undying love I have for University of Akron Soccer.  This program is bigger than any one of them, and it is bigger than any one of us.  

Our team is woefully shabby and lousy right now.  Without grit.  Without pride.  And I am FULLY justified in angrily expressing myself about it.  I make no apology in doing so.  

Appalling?  Appalling?!?  Repeated lame-assed slow hospital balls across one’s own goal mouth is truly appalling!   Get real.

I will be there Wednesday in full voice.  You know where to find me.

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Each of us fans, long term or otherwise, is ENTITLED to demonstrate our displeasure with the team we love, so long as we are not menacing, or profane, or Etc. etc.

I booed them openly and loudly on Saturday.  Not sure I have ever done that before, and if so, it has been decades since.

l have abiding affection and support for our coaches, and for our players.  But all that will NEVER compare to the undying love I have for University of Akron Soccer.  This program is bigger than any one of them, and it is bigger than any one of us.  

Our team is woefully shabby and lousy right now.  Without grit.  Without pride.  And I am FULLY justified in angrily expressing myself about it.  I make no apology in doing so.  

Appalling?  Appalling?!?  Repeated lame-assed slow hospital balls across one’s own goal mouth is truly appalling!   Get real.

I will be there Wednesday in full voice.  You know where to find me.

We feel totally different about what being a fan of a sports team is. TOTALLY different. You think because you pay money to attend a game, you can "demonstrate displeasure" towards the team you so called support. I completely disagree. A true supporter sticks it out until the end. Shows SUPPORT to its players by having presence throughout the game. 

What do you hope to achieve by opening boo-ing this team? What do you actually think the players think of this? 8 of the starting line up at Cornell were playing in a National Final 10 months ago. They are not bad players. I have personally seen them beat Wake, Stanford, Syracuse, Michigan State x2 and win a MAC tournament in West Virginia in the past year. Apart from Lundt, this team is stronger in all areas compared to last years team. 

I would love to know what "Repeated lame-assed slow hospital balls across one’s own goal mouth is truly appalling!" you're referring to? I truly believe you have made that up. We scored a multi pass goal against Marshall a week ago.  It was Akron Soccer at its very finest. 

9 hours ago, TennZip said:

YipaZip,  Zip_ME87 has been the only Non-parent that has been to all 5 road games this year.   Truth be told,  there are probably akron-cleveland area parents that have not been to all 5 road games.  This is not a criticism of the parents of the local players.   Traveling to Omaha, Huntington, College Park, MD, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh is very expensive and time consuming.

Zip_ME87's love and support for this team is undeniable.    YipaZip, did you travel to Wake Forest for the round of 16 last year and did you travel to Louisville for the NCAA quarters in 2017?

YipaZip,       Fknuflobo, ZIP_ME87 and many other "regular fans have been following the zips for 10+ , 20+ , 30+ years.    They are not band wagon fans.   I am more disgusted by season ticket holders that only show up for NCAA tournament  games.    I distinctly remember myself being at a late October home game in 2016 when the zips lost 3-0 in 2016 to a bad West Virginia team.     I was living in TN at the time and was only to make it to 3 home games that year(I did fly to LA that year to see zip games at SD State and UCLA).   I would have got up and left that late October 2016 game in disgust if I had been to all 11 home games.   Since I had not been to many games, I kept hoping that the team would get better during the game.   That zip team in October 2016....made very little effort in that game.   

Yes, this team is talented.   Yes, Jared, Ger and Michael Nanchoff are all great coaches.    ZipaZip, are you going to criticize Jared for criticizing the players that were arguing on the field about passes that did not get made?   YipaZip, are you going to criticize Jared for saying that all 11 players are not making a good effort for all 90 minutes?  Bottom line, this team is not playing the kind of soccer that Akron soccer fans have seen over the last 65 years.   All year long, we have seen one center back (on most pre-season all american teams) pass the ball almost exclusively to the other center back or to Sam Tojaga, the holding defensive midfielder.   There have been many times when Bradley Chick or the right def. back has been begging for the ball.  Akron soccer, especially in the Porter/Embick era, has been about spreading the field.      Akron soccer is about giving your teammate a thumbs up when they have made a good pass...that did not lead to results.   Akron soccer is about helping your young teammates with good suggestions, and not with whining criticism.    I have not seen enough of the team support and leadership that I am used to seeing.   David Egbo is one of the most brilliant, talented forwards in zips history.   I will be kind and say that David sometimes get down and distracted when calls don't go the way that that he wants.   Great goal scorers like Josef Martinez and Carlos Vela don't get down when things are not going well.

This Akron team is not winning 50/50 balls in the midfield.   Jared has said that many times in post game interviews or pre match interviews.    Akron has been fortunate over the years to have tremendous ball winners in the holding midfield (Zemanski, Perry Kitchen, Victor Souto, Will Trapp).     For this team to play true Akron soccer, Sam Tojaga and Henrique Cruz and Colin Biros must win more balls in the midfield. (perhaps , it is time to watch some game film of Perry Kitchen, the warrior from Indianapolis?)  Jared has consistently said that this team is losing the 1 vs. 1 battles for the ball.  That is a nice way of us saying that they are being outhustled.

After the Pitt game, I posted that I hoped that the beatdown in that game....would be a gut check game for this team.   I posted that I believed in the coaches and the talent on this team.    In the last 2 games, the team has not focused for a full 90 minutes (Jared's words....not mine)....and they are arguing among themselves (Jared's words, not mine).

I love Skye Harter....He is creative.  He is hard working.   I expected him to be a great captain this year.  His off season surgery has prevented Skye from being the great on field leader that I expected him to be.  I only want to see Skye back on the field when he is really close to being healthy.  That being said, that puts a bigger burden on David Egbo as a captain to help the guys up front and for Carlo and Daniel Strachan as captains to help Bradley Chick, Tom Smart and the new guys in the midfield.

I posted that after the Pitt game....that something had to change.   Something has changed....as the last 2 games....did not show the effort and talent that the zips showed against Stanford.   

Soccer is a very hard game with no margin for error.    The 2010 team was one of the most dominant teams that I have ever seen.  However, they came so perilously close to losing to Cal on a bitterly cold, snowy day in the NCAA quarters.   I was not a fan of the "unfinished business" signs and tweets from the athletic department early this year.   That made it sound like the finalist team from last year.....could just step out on the field and get the results that they wanted.   Colin Biros in the beacon article....said that the team probably thought that things would come easier to this group of talented guys.

This team is in crisis.   0-7-0 is not good.    Let's start the year afresh.....with a motto like "Soccer is hard, we are very good. and we will work harder than anyone else to get the results that we want".

The coaches can't do it by themselves....David Egbo can't do it by himself, Carlo can't do it by himself........Zip soccer.......11 guys.....rooting and pulling for each other ....and working together to improve.......is the answer.

Comparing the 2010 team to this team is like comparing apples to oranges. That team had six (maybe seven?) US national team recruits in its team. None of those level of players are playing college soccer now.  Akron has starting recruiting some local high school players as well as regular non academy club players in recent years that I have coached against which I do not believe should be in contention to be a Zips soccer players. In 2009 & 2010, the recruiting classes were national team players left and right. This team only has Ritaccio with that on his resume. 

Comparing Henrique Cruz to Wil Trapp or Perry Kitchen is not realistic.  Perry Kitchen is not attending college to play college soccer if he is in the 2020 recruiting class. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Apart from Lundt, this team is stronger in all areas compared to last years team. 

31 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Comparing Henrique Cruz to Wil Trapp or Perry Kitchen is not realistic.  Perry Kitchen is not attending college to play college soccer if he is in the 2020 recruiting class. 

Which outside forward on this year's team are you saying....is stronger than Marcel Zajac?

this team is badly missing Marcel Zajac.  Will Jackson is going to be a very good player....but Marcel Zajac was truly outstanding in the tournament run.  Zajac was my zips MVP in the MAC tourney and NCAA tourney.

Also, do not underestimate the loss of Morgan Hackworth.   Morgan might not have the athletic ability of some on this team but he was a coach's son.  Morgan was very technically sound and he was the ultimate team player.    Morgan made others on the field better.   He rarely made sloppy giveaways in the midfield and he won a large portion of 50/50 balls.

I certainly was not comparing any midfielder in skill level to any of the greats.   To your point, Tojaga and Cruz are playing against less skilled players.  I was saying that this current group of players could learn by watching tapes of Kitchen to see how he competed and how he won so many air and ground battles for free balls.

41 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

Comparing the 2010 team to this team is like comparing apples to oranges. That team had six (maybe seven?) US national team recruits in its team. None of those level of players are playing college soccer now.  Akron has starting recruiting some local high school players as well as regular non academy club players in recent years that I have coached against which I do not believe should be in contention to be a Zips soccer players. In 2009 & 2010, the recruiting classes were national team players left and right. This team only has Ritaccio with that on his resume. 

You make some good points.  And you have some good information.  Perhaps the quality of player from ten years ago is no longer available; the landscape has changed.  But the effort should still be there regardless of skill level.  This team lacks conviction of purpose.  How does a team regain this?  That is the challenge for Embick and company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YipaZip said:

I would love to know what "Repeated lame-assed slow hospital balls across one’s own goal mouth is truly appalling!" you're referring to? I truly believe you have made that up. We scored a multi pass goal against Marshall a week ago.  It was Akron Soccer at its very finest. 

Akron has starting recruiting some local high school players as well as regular non academy club players in recent years that I have coached against which I do not believe should be in contention to be a Zips soccer players.

That offers some clue as to who you might be. However, as a coach, I'm surprised that you don't get his reference to the unwise play in front of our own goal mouth. Slow passes in front of our own goal while under pressure that have often led to errant passes, turnovers, and potential scores for the competition.

No question about the goal at Marshall. I was there. Great goal. First and only lead this season. But, as Jared has noted, this team has not been able to focus for a full 90 minutes. 

• Like 1

We feel totally different about what being a fan of a sports team is. TOTALLY different. You think because you pay money to attend a game, you can "demonstrate displeasure" towards the team you so called support. I completely disagree. A true supporter sticks it out until the end. Shows SUPPORT to its players by having presence throughout the game. 

What do you hope to achieve by opening boo-ing this team? What do you actually think the players think of this? 8 of the starting line up at Cornell were playing in a National Final 10 months ago. They are not bad players. I have personally seen them beat Wake, Stanford, Syracuse, Michigan State x2 and win a MAC tournament in West Virginia in the past year. Apart from Lundt, this team is stronger in all areas compared to last years team. 

I have earned my stripes; I have been here quite a long time.  And I will be here long from now.  I will handle my fandom as I feel appropriate, requiring neither advice nor permission from anyone.  Fan is sort for fanatic.  I am not here in the capacity of a coach; that is a different perspective.  And I am certainly not a cheerleader.  AND I am not a PARENT of someone on the team, which is definitely an entirely different perspective.  

My means of protest are limited to either vocalizing or not attending.  I have not missed a home match in well over a decade.  So, vocalizing it is.  

My support for this program cannot be questioned.  I have been here way too long for that.

Our team has fallen into the predictable habit of nearly always playing back to GK.  Opponents are just waiting to pounce on these back passes.  I realize we want maintain possession, and we want to draw out the opposition.  But we have become far too susceptible to the high press.  And we have become sloppy and too casual about playing square across the back.  No.  I am not making it up.  And who are you to insinuate that I am?  Surely you have noticed this sloppy ball handling along the back  Many others have  noticed, even if you have not.

I do not mean to imply that sloppy back passes are the only thing wrong here.  That is far from the case.

We are on a losing streak of historical magnitude.  I do not believe any Zips squad has ever begun 0-0-4.  We are at 0-0-7 and counting.  We probably will hurt some feelings and trample some egos before this gets fixed.  But fixed it will eventually get.  And I will be here through all of it.

See you at the match.  Go Zips!

• Like 4

I’m surprised to hear from a coach that giving a 50, 60, 70, 80 percent effort on the field is supposed to equate to 100% from the fans. This is D1 Collegiate Soccer not grade school. There are no participation trophies here. College prepares one for life. Professionals don’t put up with less than 100% effort. 

One of our players apologized to me some time earlier this season. I told him that wasn’t necessary. I know this is hard, but at that time I saw the effort. Some bad calls / no calls from the referees also made winning difficult. I didn’t see that in the Cornell game. We were at home with a friendly crowd and no egregious calls effecting the outcome. I simply saw only about 15 minutes of Akron soccer. Other than that, Cornell dictated the game. Most of the rest of the match looked like the lack of effort seen in that golden goal corner kick. Winning will come when there is a winning effort, not whining.  

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1