2019-20 Preseason Poll - Impact Player(s)

Illini Zip

What players' impact will advance Akron Basketball the most this season?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say Xeyrius will have the biggest individual impact on our success, however, how much guys like Cheese, Riak, Banks, and LCJ improve from last season IMO will be what makes or breaks our season. Namely I'd like to see more consistency from Cheese, better late game decision making from LCJ, Riak being able to catch a simple dump off pass and dunk, and Banks emerging as a legit 3 & D guy. 

• Like 1

"X" will be the "X-Factor" this year due to how he'll stretch the floor on offense and affect matchups on defense. 

With that being said, Year-to-Year Improvement from the Core is a close 2nd, and Tribble is my 3rd option. I've said it a lot on this board - guards are the key to success in college basketball. Between Tribble, LCJ, and Cheese, our backcourt is in good shape. Really good shape. 

Hopefully basketball can provide some hope and joy to what has been a dismal 2019-20 sports season so far for the University. 

I voted Xeyrius Williams.  5th(?) year senior with experience playing at this level.

For me, Greg Tribble and Camron Reece are tied for #2.  X will make an immediate impact.  But I think these two will be up to speed before conference play begins.  I remember following Tribble's recruiting in high school.  He's a serious talent.  And Reece looks like a monster; our next Ultimate Warrior, a'la Jeremiah Wood or Demetrius Treadwell.

Then again, I don't think any of the above mentioned players will matter if our returning core doesn't improve their shooting percentage from behind the arc.

• 4 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:49 AM, kreed5120 said:

I'd say Xeyrius will have the biggest individual impact on our success, however, how much guys like Cheese, Riak, Banks, and LCJ improve from last season IMO will be what makes or breaks our season. Namely I'd like to see more consistency from Cheese, better late game decision making from LCJ, Riak being able to catch a simple dump off pass and dunk, and Banks emerging as a legit 3 & D guy. 

Interesting to go back and look at this thread now, this was pretty close to correct, however, no one predicted the enormous impact LCJ has made. Legit candidate for MAC player of the year and unless something really terrible happens almost guaranteed first team all-MAC. Don't think anyone really saw that coming. 

26 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Interesting to go back and look at this thread now, this was pretty close to correct, however, no one predicted the enormous impact LCJ has made. Legit candidate for MAC player of the year and unless something really terrible happens almost guaranteed first team all-MAC. Don't think anyone really saw that coming. 

When I wrote that I would have had X and Cheese as the 2 most likely Akron players to make 1st team All-MAC. Cheese IMO is still in the discussion for one of those other 4 spots. Xeyrius might be able to get a 2nd or 3rd team if he has a strong finish. I can't recall ever seeing a Zip improve their game year over year more than what LCJ has done this year compared to last. 

At this point LCJ has been playing at an extremely high level for about 2-3 months so I kind of just take it for granted that he'll keep doing what he's been doing. For that reason I still think X is the wildcard. If he returns to the player he was mid-January, Akron IMO is by far the best team in the MAC and would pose a threat to any 4 or 5 seed that we may face in the tourney (if we're fortunate enough to make it that far).

Edited by kreed5120