VCU - Oct 2

Thank you.

VCU tends to play the Zips tough and is 3-4-1 entering the Wednesday night match, coming off a 4-3 OT win at St Joseph. Akron is also VCU's 6th road match in a row; VCU is 2-2-1 thus far on their current road swing.

18 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

If not Wednesday, then when?

Zips need to concentrate one game at a time....

but VCU certainly  seems to be the most winnable game of the next 3.

The opponent on October 5...FIU is 7-0-2.

In their 2nd game of the year, FIU defeated James Madison 3-1

2 weeks after that game....James Madison upset #1 Wake Forest.

after the game against FIU, the zips travel to play Butler.   Butler defeated the Indiana Hoosiers 2-1 last week

rooting for the team to get to 1-7-0.....then they can worry about the upcoming roadblocks

https://fiusports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=237

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

Who will attend the first Zips victory of 2019?  Anyone?

Sadly, I won't be in attendance - I'll have to watch on my screen.

Hopefully this game brings new beginnings. They just need to eek out a win by any means necessary. I believe they can do it.

• Like 2

I will be there as always, hoping and cheering for the new start to this season. I believe they will do it. I have never stopped believing in our team's abilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slowroll said:

Sadly, I won't be in attendance - I'll have to watch on my screen.

Hopefully this game brings new beginnings. They just need to eek out a win by any means necessary. I believe they can do it.

Brute force and awkwardness!  Whatever it takes!

• Haha 1

Feels good, don’t it!!!  That’s what I shouted to Ritaccio as the team exited the pitch.

Callout to Mr. Smith from Georgia! It was pleasure taking in the match with you.  Hope to see you again soon.

It was great to see this game from my couch in MD via ESPN3. The video and commentating were both high quality.

I only got to see the 2nd half, but was happy to see extended stretches of Akron Soccer, especially down the left side in the offensive third. However, there were also several unnecessary long balls up the middle of the field. Other than a drop in talent or experience or both, it's hard to imagine why this is happening nearly half way through the season.

That said, VCU is a respectable program and it easily could have been a 4- or 5-0 win. This team will continue to improve and needs to have the "Dambrot Mentality" where all that matters is winning the MACC. If this thing gets turned around in time for the NCAAT, we are a nightmare first round opponent. No school will want to see us on their bracket.

• Like 1

So happy for this team and for Daniel Strachan and Sammy Tojaga to get their first goals for the Zips!

Also very happy to see all of the various Zips fans posting here. Love it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

So happy for this team and for Daniel Strachan and Sammy Tojaga to get their first goals for the Zips!

Also very happy to see all of the various Zips fans posting here. Love it!

Daniel Strachan has been a warrior all year. Great effort every game.

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20191002/university-of-akron-mens-soccer-zips-blank-vcu-2-0-for-first-win

I think for us it’s about finding our game,” UA coach Jared Embick said. “I think we’ve proven over history that when we start to find our game and play Akron soccer we can beat anybody anywhere. What this shows is that we’re starting to come together.

“People may think there’s not enough time, but I think as long as we have another 90 minutes there’s always enough time. There’s no place we can’t win at. No team that can beat us when we play our game.”

10 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

It was great to see this game from my couch in MD via ESPN3. The video and commentating were both high quality.

I only got to see the 2nd half, but was happy to see extended stretches of Akron Soccer, especially down the left side in the offensive third. However, there were also several unnecessary long balls up the middle of the field. Other than a drop in talent or experience or both, it's hard to imagine why this is happening nearly half way through the season.

That said, VCU is a respectable program and it easily could have been a 4- or 5-0 win. This team will continue to improve and needs to have the "Dambrot Mentality" where all that matters is winning the MACC. If this thing gets turned around in time for the NCAAT, we are a nightmare first round opponent. No school will want to see us on their bracket.

You just cannot please some people. It was a game of total domination from start to finish. 

If “several unnecessary long balls” bothered you, than stop watching soccer. They happen in every team at all levels of the game. 

It was only only the last thread people were complaining about too many passes in our defensive side of the field ?

On 10/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, YipaZip said:

You just cannot please some people. It was a game of total domination from start to finish. 

If “several unnecessary long balls” bothered you, than stop watching soccer. They happen in every team at all levels of the game. 

It was only only the last thread people were complaining about too many passes in our defensive side of the field ?

I don't know why you chose to make this personal and highlighted the one negative thing I shared. Please read it again. What I posted was a fair interpretation of my observations. Do you think Caleb Porter would have been satisfied with those long, aimless balls up the center when there was no pressure being applied on the ball just because we won? I don't.

I also don't know what your level of experience is, but I've celebrated my love for the game as a coach, state licensed referee, and a very high level amateur player. I could have played for most other schools in the state, but chose to go to college for engineering, not soccer. Anyhow, I strongly disagree that the kind of deliberate surrender of possession I saw against VCU happens to the best teams at the highest levels. They certainly weren't part of the Akron program until this year.

I believe Embick will get us back on track but to be satisfied with a fairly dominant (but far from flawless) win when we are 1-7 is lowering the bar. This is one of the best programs in the country. We need to be better, and we will be better.

• Like 1

@UAZipster0305 ?? For your observations. I don’t know why anyone wants to cut off discussion. I’m happy to have you and anyone in the conversation. Just because we see flaws doesn’t mean we’re not fans or that we’ve given up. I too believe in this team and that they will finish strong. Focus one game at a time. Go Zips!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I don't know why you chose to make this personal and highlighted the one negative thing I shared. Please read it again. What I posted was a fair interpretation of my observations. Do you think Caleb Porter would have been satisfied with those long, aimless balls up the center when there was no pressure being applied on the ball just because we won? I don't.

I also don't know what your level of experience is, but I've celebrated my love for the game as a coach, state licensed referee, and a very high level amateur player. I could have played for most other schools in the state, but chose to go to college for engineering, not soccer. Anyhow, I strongly disagree that the kind of deliberate surrender of possession I saw against VCU happens to the best teams at the highest levels. They certainly weren't part of the Akron program until this year.

I believe Embick will get us back on track but to be satisfied with a fairly dominant (but far from flawless) win when we are 1-7 is lowering the bar. This is one of the best programs in the country. We need to be better, and we will be better.

UAZipster0305....very well said.

Your observations and candid feedback....are very much needed on this board.

• Like 1