Bee Gee Ess You

Well, this is what counts, from here on out.  The Mighty MAC.  It starts Saturday at FES against what appears to be a very good Bowling Green Falcons team that will ride in at 7-3-1.  After a 1-1 double overtime draw with Duquesne in Pittsburgh, they rattled off 3 wins in a row, most notably back-to-back clean sheet winners over Big 10 opponents, Wisconsin and Northwestern.  They finished their Big 10 matches with a 2-1 loss to the Buckeyes.  they've won their last 3 matches...over Canisius, Detroit Mercy and IUPUI.  Lots of people talking about our upcoming match vs. Michigan State.  Hey, guess what?  They are having a disastrous season as well.  That match for the Zips DOESN'T MATTER!  The Cleveland State match - DOESN'T MATTER!  What matters now, if anyone still cares, is this Friday vs. BGSU.  Last year's match at BG ended in a double OT nil-nil draw in horrendous conditions.  We win Saturday night - we're 1/5th of the way to a MAC Championship and another berth in the NCAAs.  We have 3 of the 5 MAC matches at home, and that used to mean something.  We have to make it mean something again.  After Saturday it's up to Kalamazoo to face the now 6-4 Broncos who have become our biggest rivalry in the MAC now, due to some questionable physical play on their part n the past.  They did beat Xavier last week 1-0.  Then a Friday night FES appearance against SIU-Eds.  They're 6-3-1 right now, and beat Butler a few weeks ago, and have won their last 4 in a row, all clean sheets.  We've got our final match at home when we face a Huskies team that is 5-6-1 currently, and then the home finale vs. the Mountaineers, who are 6-4-1 right now.  They knocked off the Suck-eyes (Yay!) 4-1 earlier.  Notice all the teams have won at least 5 matches so far?  THAT DOESN'T MATTER!  We only need to worry about these 5 MAC matches at this point and win at least 4 of them (IMHO), to host the MAC tournament again at FES, and then we'll worry about winning those 2 matches to advance as MAC Champs.

Bowling Green this Saturday - Chris Sullivan is their best player with 4 goals and 5 assists, with Copley's Chris Brennan right on his heels with 4 goals and 4 assists.  Defender Achille Robin is tough and hasn't missed a single minute of a single match this season.  Anthony Mwembia is the Keep, and he only has 1 sheet this season, and looks a little porous at times.  Okay Zip fans, this is where it starts, right here (FES) right now (Saturday at 7).

• Like 1

Well said @ZipsVoice although the first time you mentioned the match, you stated "...this Friday vs. BGSU". The match as you stated several additional times is SATURDAY, October 12th at 7 pm at FES, the same day that the 2009 Zips Men's Soccer Team is honored at the morning brunch as the "Team of Distinction". 

None of us are happy with the way this season has played out thus far, including the team, but that is past. As you said, the focus has to be on the MAC. All Zips Men's Soccer fans who can need to come out to the 3 MAC home games and get behind this team starting this Saturday. No excuses for our team; no excuses for us who support them. They need, appreciate, and respond to that support. Let's Go Zips!!! Let's get this done.

• Like 1

Well said by both of you....

A big crowd is needed on Saturday night....

I do not want to see Chris Brennan of Copley and his team celebrating on the field.   Chris Brennan is a talented goal scorer...but I think that Marco and Carlo will be fired up to stop the BGSU talented scorers...so they can lead the zips to a 1-0 record in the MAC

I want the only happy Copley folks to be friends and family of Skye Harter, the hard working nice young man from Copley.

• Like 1

Zips are tied for first place in the MAC with a 2-1 win over Bowling Green

first goals of the year for Diogo Pacheco and Will Jackson

Zips led 20-6 in shots

10-3 in shots on goal

9-3 in corner kicks

in other MAC action, SIU-E def. N. Illinois 2-1

W. Michigan plays at WVA sunday at 1 

zips are 1-0...I like it...

• Like 4

Well done and much appreciation to @ZipsVoice His in-stadium announcing of tonight's Zips Men's Soccer game was his 3rd event of the day...Swimming & Diving, Football, Zips Men's Soccer. Homecoming hero!!! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Well done and much appreciation to @ZipsVoice His in-stadium announcing of tonight's Zips Men's Soccer game was his 3rd event of the day...Swimming & Diving, Football, Zips Men's Soccer. Homecoming hero!!! 

Baller!

10 hours ago, zipsrule said:

Solid effort tonight.  Outside of that mistake by Bowles, a well executed game.  

I agree. Once our Zips got going, they looked confident and were distributing the ball well with good movement. Our GKs need to get past holding the ball too long or having to double touch when under pressure. Better to quickly get rid of the ball down the field, even if it goes out of bounds, than to risk a turnover like that last night in our penalty area. (Of course it happens to pros, too...2015 MLS Cup Final when Steve Clark allowed an easy goal by Diego Valeri / Portland Timbers.)  Fortunately, last night team prevailed, and that ended up not being a costly error. I have confidence in Joe ... he will learn from that and move on. 

I'm super happy for Will Jackson and Diogo Pacheco. Great to see Will get his first collegiate goal for the Zips, the one I believe he said he's been dreaming of since 3rd grade. Hopefully, the first of many to come. Confidence and composure Will. You've got the skills; let the belief set in.

Great to see Pacheco healthy enough to get significant minutes and his first goal of the 2019. Well-deserved result of his hard work. Also, hopefully the first of many to come.

Also, really happy for Chris Lue Young, who seems to be settling in very well at right back. His last few games have been excellent. Keep up that effort Chris!

• Like 1

I will also single out Pol Hernandez who has had a big upswing in the past few games. Starting the season on the bench, Pol has really come on strong. Keep that going Pol. Love what I'm seeing.

Having Skye Harter back has been huge. Hopefully, Skye is getting healthier.

As I said above the whole team looks more confident; the belief is building. Keep it going guys. I know you can beat any team out there when you're all working together. I've attended every game and know of what you all are capable. GO ZIPS!!!

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more with everyone's assessment of Hernandez and Lue Young. With their contributions to the attack, Akron now looks like Akron. I would also like to add Strachan and Biros to the praise party -- their play have helped Akron control the midfield, something that was sorely lacking before.

• Like 2

MAC Standings after 1 week

1.  Akron, Western Michigan and SIU-E all at 1-0

tie for 4th ...BGSU, West Va and N. Illinois all 0-1

Western Michigan got a 3-1 win today at West Virginia

MAC this week

N. Illinois at W. Va   - Firday night...both teams look to get into the MAC win column

BGSU at SIU-E....saturday night

and in the battle of 2 of the 3 MAC unbeatens...Akron at Western Michigan sunday afternoon

51 minutes ago, slowroll said:

Couldn't agree more with everyone's assessment of Hernandez and Lue Young. With their contributions to the attack, Akron now looks like Akron. I would also like to add Strachan and Biros to the praise party -- their play have helped Akron control the midfield, something that was sorely lacking before.

Daniel Strachan has done well wherever he has been asked to play this season. That Captain's armband is a great fit.

• Like 2