ESPN+

GJGood

On 1/29/2019 at 9:00 AM, Dr Z said:

For members still on the fence about espn+, anybody not happy with their subscription? I like it and recommend. Good content, well organized. 

I'm not happy.  I don't feel like I got anything in addition to what I already had with my Subscription to ESPN/ESPN3 last year.  Two subscriptions for the same amount of stuff I had last year.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I'm not happy.  I don't feel like I got anything in addition to what I already had with my Subscription to ESPN/ESPN3 last year.  Two subscriptions for the same amount of stuff I had last year.

They added tons of new content that wasn't on ESPN3 (MMA, MLS Live, Serie A, Kobe & Peyton Manning player breakdowns, exclusive shows & full 30 for library, other misc sports etc.). This might not be stuff that interests you, but there is no doubt that ESPN+ has way more content than ESPN3 ever had.

Edited by kreed5120

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

They added tons of new content that wasn't on ESPN3 (MMA, MLS Live, Serie A, Kobe & Peyton Manning player breakdowns, exclusive shows & full 30 for library, other misc sports etc.). This might not be stuff that interests you, but there is no doubt that ESPN+ has way more content than ESPN3 ever had.

I don't want/care about that content.  I want the content I was getting, for the same package that I already had.  Not buy two packages to get to keep the crap I used to have.  It's just a big middle-finger to the consumer.  If I really gave a rat's ass about those other things...I'd sign up for them.  I don't.  But am forced to just to get to watch Akron football games.  It's an absolutely joke.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I don't want/care about that content.  I want the content I was getting, for the same package that I already had.  Not buy two packages to get to keep the crap I used to have.  It's just a big middle-finger to the consumer.  If I really gave a rat's ass about those other things...I'd sign up for them.  I don't.  But am forced to just to get to watch Akron football games.  It's an absolutely joke.

Have you considered cutting the cord? I am paying more than before, but I also wasn't paying anything before (mooching off of another cable login), so it is tough to complain too much.  I've finally gave in over basketball season, but the plan is to cancel as soon as its over and then re-up as needed come football season. 

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

To each their own. I cut the cord two years ago. Like LZlp I have other means to watch what I want on TV without paying for an expensive cable package. I however didn't have the ability to watch ESPN3 stuff. Watching Akron games wasn't worth me paying $80/mo. It's well worth $5/mo to me.

18 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

To each their own. I cut the cord two years ago. Like LZlp I have other means to watch what I want on TV without paying for an expensive cable package. I however didn't have the ability to watch ESPN3 stuff. Watching Akron games wasn't worth me paying $80/mo. It's well worth $5/mo to me.

I cut the cord as well.  You could get ESPN 1/2/3 as part of a $20/month package that you can cancel at any time.  That was worth it for me.  Now that I no longer get Akron games via that subscription, I'm screwed.  It's bullshit to me.

26 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I cut the cord as well.  You could get ESPN 1/2/3 as part of a $20/month package that you can cancel at any time.  That was worth it for me.  Now that I no longer get Akron games via that subscription, I'm screwed.  It's bullshit to me.

I stream the sports I want to watch for free. No point in paying $20/mo when I can get the content I want (Akron games) for $5.

Edited by kreed5120

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I stream the sports I want to watch for free. No point in paying $20/mo when I can get the content I want (Akron games) for $5.

I pay the $20 a month for the other channels I get with it and watch during those seasons.  So it made perfect sense to me.  The new ESPN way is to screw over it's already existing subscribers for a shameless money grab for a product that no one asked for.  

I get what you're saying though.  If this is the ONLY video product you consume it makes sense to go $5 over $20.  But when you had a video streaming product that already gave you access to the content you wanted via ESPN3 and then they take that away from you and say "buy new shiney turd" it kinda pisses some people off. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It would be worth the extra cost, even if they doubled or tripled the price, if they had Zips games on demand.

I cannot set the DVR for E$PN3 or E$PN+ games, and I work a lot of weekends. I can on-demand thousands of hours of crap I have no interest in, but not my school, not the games I pay E$PN (twice) to watch. I don't give two craps about all the other content on 3 or on +, I don't watch it.

Let me watch games when I get home from work, or when I get home from the game, and it'll be worth the monthly bills I pay.

Edited by Spin

37 minutes ago, Spin said:

It would be worth the extra cost, even if they doubled or tripled the price, if they had Zips games on demand.

I cannot set the DVR for E$PN3 or E$PN+ games, and I work a lot of weekends. I can on-demand thousands of hours of crap I have no interest in, but not my school, not the games I pay E$PN (twice) to watch. I don't give two craps about all the other content on 3 or on +, I don't watch it.

Let me watch games when I get home from work, or when I get home from the game, and it'll be worth the monthly bills I pay.

You can watch replays of the game on ESPN+. I did for 1-2 basketball games that I missed.

• 2 months later...

In the past I would watch ESPN games on the computer, or use my cell phone to put the game on the TV.

A few weeks ago I got Roku to watch hoops this season. It is the model that does 4K UHD, my Samsung TV does that.

Today was my first time watching the Zips on it.

As bad as the game was, the stream was AWESOME. No stuttering, totally smooth, the definition was unreal.

Once hoops starts I will take the monthly ESPN+ to be able to watch the games.

Hope this helps someone, the device is incredible.

I do have a smart TV, but it does not have ESPN (some of the newer ones do). BUT, the stream on the smart TV was just OK, with Amazon prime moves always having lip synch issues. This Roku is just insane. Everything works the way it should  and in 4K UHD. Yes, you can actually see the difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
48 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

While the service is great, ESPN+ lost my subscription yesterday since I don't have any Zips events to watch. I hope Disney will survive. 

Disney announced today that they have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection citing the loss of your subscription to ESPN+ as the straw that broke the camel's back.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:54 AM, Zipmeister said:

Disney announced today that they have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection citing the loss of your subscription to ESPN+ as the straw that broke the camel's back.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:05 AM, Dr Z said:

While the service is great, ESPN+ lost my subscription yesterday since I don't have any Zips events to watch. I hope Disney will survive. 

Damn you Dr Z. Now you have ruined it for my future grandchildren. How can they possibly survive without Disney and ESPN!

• Haha 1