Jump to content
Blue & Gold

Game 7: Buffalo @ Akron - Oct. 19th - 3:30 p.m.

Recommended Posts

Hey all, 

 

That one was kinda fun, no? For the first time this year the defense got multiple impact stops! That was so great to see. They couldn't get off the field on third down and have struggled to all year, but there were a few nice stops Saturday.

 

Bring back Darryl Funk! I'm kidding...kind of. I wish I knew more about line play because I simply don't  understand how it can still be as bad as it was last year. Gibson is promising if he can stay healthy, but he was getting his bell rang all day. Recipe for disaster.

 

Special teams are atrocious, but so far what a lot of that looks like stupidity/ineptitude as opposed to poor scheming. Like, after Lako stopped the third down play in the backfield you could feel the momentum shift, only to go right back for good not 30 seconds later. This team is good at the whole shooting themselves in the foot thing.

 

Not much else to say this week. Buffalo is bad and the MAC is an embarrassment, but we all knew that already.

 

Akron will be 0-12. Sucks big time but it is what it is. On to the next one. If you're #HereToDevelop, start developing. To hell with red shirts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was lucky (???) enough to be sitting behind the bench and heard Arth's motivational yelling.  He kept saying "The excuses need to stop right here.  We can not keep making the same mistakes over and over again." Stop making excuses for yourselves and stick to your game plan!"  I for one love to see his passion and am still fully behind him.  I don't think he is in over his head, but some of the play calls I do not understand, especially the fist offensive series.....    Also, has Gibson never faced pressure before?  Tuck the ball man!!!  I understand he didn't have time to thorw it away most of the time, but yikes 4 fumbles? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zipsfan15 said:

I was lucky (???) enough to be sitting behind the bench and heard Arth's motivational yelling.  He kept saying "The excuses need to stop right here.  We can not keep making the same mistakes over and over again." Stop making excuses for yourselves and stick to your game plan!"  I for one love to see his passion and am still fully behind him.  I don't think he is in over his head, but some of the play calls I do not understand, especially the fist offensive series.....    Also, has Gibson never faced pressure before?  Tuck the ball man!!!  I understand he didn't have time to thorw it away most of the time, but yikes 4 fumbles? 

 

Oh, so now you expect us to rely on the accounts of people who were actually there as opposed to someone seeing a photo or a brief TV clip?  That's preposterous! 

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference in the game has been the same story all season - bad OL play, and a non-existent pass rush. Every game, I marvel at the time the opposing QB has to throw...and the size of the pocket he throws from...compared to that of the Zips .

 

On the season, we have 4 sacks for 17 yards. Our opponents - 31 sacks for 163 yards. That's amazing.

 

I liked Gibson's arm strength. I liked how, under duress,  he constantly looked down field, trying to make something happen. Like Loyal Zip said, he needs to protect the ball better. And he will.  For a true Freshman, running for his life, in his first start, he did a great job.

 

Just when you think we found a starting RB, he injures his shoulder after an 8 yard gain. 

 

We convert on 33% of our 3rd downs. Our opponents are at 50%.

 

We've lost 10 fumbles. Our opponents have lost 2.

 

Just tough to watch... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that doesn't even highlight the fact our RBs have a combined 267 yards on 108 carres (2.47 ypc). Arth and the staff are really going to need to hit JUCO or attract some immediately eligible transfers to plug gaps on both the offensive and defensive line. Gibson having to run for his life every down is going to lead to him developing some bad tendencies and stunt his growth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I was amazed when during  the Can't game Frenchy mentioned that Kato was the first Zip to eclipse 100 yards rushing (FOR THE SEASON, NOT A GAME!).

I could name 2 QB's that have done that twice. Marcel Weems and Charlie Frye. ( I though Butchie Washington ran for 100 in a season but it was only 99)

Marcel 

image.png

 

Charlie 

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking it up ...I forgot a good one that also did it twice. Mike Johnson.   

 

Guys that have done it once in a season also include Jeff Sweitzer ; Carlton Jackson ; Matt Rodgers ; Clayton Moore ; Tommy Woodson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

The difference in the game has been the same story all season - bad OL play, and a non-existent pass rush. Every game, I marvel at the time the opposing QB has to throw...and the size of the pocket he throws from...compared to that of the Zips .

 

On the season, we have 4 sacks for 17 yards. Our opponents - 31 sacks for 163 yards. That's amazing.

 

I liked Gibson's arm strength. I liked how, under duress,  he constantly looked down field, trying to make something happen. Like Loyal Zip said, he needs to protect the ball better. And he will.  For a true Freshman, running for his life, in his first start, he did a great job.

 

Just when you think we found a starting RB, he injures his shoulder after an 8 yard gain. 

 

We convert on 33% of our 3rd downs. Our opponents are at 50%.

 

We've lost 10 fumbles. Our opponents have lost 2.

 

Just tough to watch... 

U have about summed it up! The offense looks lost. Not sure why they just don't line up with 2 backs, a TE and commit to running the ball. If nothing else it might keep the D off the field for a while. The O line is still awful. There is still no run game no matter who is toting the rock. Yep,no pass rush. U can't can't play that Tampa 2 stuff if your front can't rush the passer and your front can't stop the run. Exposes some weak DB's who can't cover nearly that long. Gibson MAY end up being a good thrower,but he can't run at all. He will need a competent running game to make him competent. No wins this year folks.. Hope its not another Ianello era all over again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2019 at 6:24 PM, zipsoutsider said:

Kato is out for 3 games. Does he lose his job over the suspension? Kato is a bigger offensive threat.

Nelson is not he future of this program at this point. He is what he has been and is, good or bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

U have about summed it up! The offense looks lost. Not sure why they just don't line up with 2 backs, a TE and commit to running the ball. If nothing else it might keep the D off the field for a while. The O line is still awful. There is still no run game no matter who is toting the rock. Yep,no pass rush. U can't can't play that Tampa 2 stuff if your front can't rush the passer and your front can't stop the run. Exposes some weak DB's who can't cover nearly that long. Gibson MAY end up being a good thrower,but he can't run at all. He will need a competent running game to make him competent. No wins this year folks.. Hope its not another Ianello era all over again!

Lee , You are spot on with the post. I would like to see some physical running with a TE and 2 backs. Have a big back that can block and let a scat back cut off his lead. Need a back that can pick up the tough yards when its 3 rd and 2 or 3. Hope your wrong about 0-12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

 Not sure why they just don't line up with 2 backs, a TE and commit to running the ball. If nothing else it might keep the D off the field for a while. The O line is still awful. There is still no run game no matter who is toting the rock. 

Offense: I would rather see more 12 personnel (thinking protection) than 22, not sure we have the roster right now to run 22, plus I don't want to see it (boring). I thought Decavilon Reese has looked good in his ten carries averaging 4.3 yards a carry. I would like to see more of him. Not a big fan of all the motion, and trying to disguise our personnel pre-snap. Lineup, and let the QB read the defense. Simplify. In my limited viewing of Gibson, it seems like he knows where his options to throw are, and makes the most of it. Get him some time to do so. 

 

Defense: What a shame for our defense to receive little encouragement from ZN members after holding a team to 7 points while spending the majority of the game on the field. Yes, they need to get more pressure on the QB, but did they need to pressure Vantrease? The defense limited him to 65 yards passing the entire game. Six...five, when was the last time that happened??? They were actually very effective switching between the 3-4, and 4-3. Lost in a poor performance by the offense, was an effective defense. I could point out some minor things, but this group was by far the best of the team last week. 

 

Special Teams: Get better at making field goals, and getting positive yards on punt returns. Momentum and field position are dependent upon this group. 

 

Go Zips! 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

Offense: I would rather see more 12 personnel (thinking protection) than 22, not sure we have the roster right now to run 22, plus I don't want to see it (boring). I thought Decavilon Reese has looked good in his ten carries averaging 4.3 yards a carry. I would like to see more of him. Not a big fan of all the motion, and trying to disguise our personnel pre-snap. Lineup, and let the QB read the defense. Simplify. In my limited viewing of Gibson, I like that it seems like he knows where his options to throw are, and makes the most of it. Get him some time to do so. 

 

Defense: What a shame for our defense to receive little encouragement from ZN members after holding a team to 7 points while spending the majority of the game on the field. Yes, they need to get more pressure on the QB, but did they need to pressure Vantrease? The defense limited him to 65 yards passing the entire game. Six...five, when was the last time that happened??? They were actually very effective switching between the 3-4, and 4-3. Lost in a poor performance by the offense, was an effective defense. I could point out some minor things, but this group was by far the best of the team last week. 

 

Special Teams: Get better at making field goals, and getting positive yards on punt returns. Momentum and field position are dependent upon this group. 

 

Go Zips! 

 

 

 

Indeed.  Kudos to the defense.   I wasn't thrilled with Buffalo's QB play, but that had more to do with play-calling (and the defense).  He mostly just handed the ball off or threw quick outs.  Not much of a chance to get pressure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Special Teams: Get better at making field goals, and getting positive yards on punt returns. Momentum and field position are dependent upon this group. 

Concerning field goals, were our snaps and holds any good?  After Fitschen missed the second of his 2 tries last week, he had his arm around the holder & looked as if Fitschen was trying to console the holder & not vice-versa.

 

I love me some Alvin Davis, that's for sure.  But honestly, I don't love him as our punt return man.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether or not it was the holders fault, for the rest of the game the freshman kicker Smigel was the one warming up on the sidelines.  Anyone ever notice his blue shoes?  Good stuff! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 7:54 AM, Dr Z said:

Defense: What a shame for our defense to receive little encouragement from ZN members after holding a team to 7 points while spending the majority of the game on the field. Yes, they need to get more pressure on the QB, but did they need to pressure Vantrease? The defense limited him to 65 yards passing the entire game. Six...five, when was the last time that happened??? They were actually very effective switching between the 3-4, and 4-3. Lost in a poor performance by the offense, was an effective defense. I could point out some minor things, but this group was by far the best of the team last week. 

 

Watched a lot of the Buffalo game on replay and noticed our defense would set then Buffalo would look to the sidleine and run to the gap that was open in our line quite a bit of the time. Wonder if we shouldn't slide over to fill the open gap after an opponent stops and looks to the sideline after reviewing our defensive alignment. Impressed with the defense. Like those DB's. Our offense was supposed to be the strong point this year till we lost or got rid of most of our RB's and WR's.     

Edited by UA1987

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure of gap responsibility in our defense. I know certain NFL linebacker gap assignments for some NFL teams. The answer is probably a linebacker responsibility in your description. If you are able to post a certain play, I may be able to guess, but keep in mind the Zips play a multiple defense, so responsibility could switch from play to play. I was trying to pay attention to DL rotation last week, but even that was hard to follow. I was confused as to when Jest was on and off the field. He played most of 3-4, and come off after UB crossed midfield when UA switched to 4-3. But this didn’t happen the second half. He played in the 4-3 as well. Might be easier for me on the stream this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching the UB game I am still not sure what this coaching staff wants to do with its personnel. They have decided to play freshmen at skill positions without apparently changing anything about the play calling on that side. They must realize by now that this team can't move the ball consistently doing what hey have been doing. The D is still a train wreck!. Little pass rush. Can't stop the run or pass consistently. This team does not have the personnel to play the defense or offense these coaches apparently want to play. If Arth thinks Gibson is his next QB, he better develop and O-line and run game cause that kid is going to be a statue.

Edited by Lee Adams
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 8:44 PM, John Ward said:

Lee , You are spot on with the post. I would like to see some physical running with a TE and 2 backs. Have a big back that can block and let a scat back cut off his lead. Need a back that can pick up the tough yards when its 3 rd and 2 or 3. Hope your wrong about 0-12.

Me 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

After watching the UB game I am still not sure what this coaching staff wants to do with its personnel. They have decided to play freshmen at skill positions without apparently changing anything about the play calling on that side. They must realize by now that this team can't move the ball consistently doing what hey have been doing. The D is still a train wreck!. Little pass rush. Can't stop the run or pass consistently. This team does not have the personnel to play the defense or offense these coaches apparently want to play. If Arth thinks Gibson is his next QB, he better develop and O-line and run game cause that kid is going to be a statue.

 

 

I'm okay with the lack of QB pressure last week, but hope you can get it cranked up this week.  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How 'bout that Buffalo QB?

 

Nice fade pass for the early lead.  Gave the Charlotte linebacker something to remember while trying to score at the goal-line.  Love the way they rushed to the line of scrimmage for the 4th and 1 TD.  Their whole line was laying in the endzone while Kyle scored.  Too bad he had an INT on his record for the ill-advised Hail Mary at the end of the first half.  Game was never in doubt.  Makes for a nice off-season for us. 😉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...