Ranking Akron Football Coaches

DannyHoke

Who has been Akron's Best Football Coach?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure what makes the "best" coach in Akron. I don't think I possess enough knowledge to vote "best." I wasn't even alive for some. I could tell you who I liked in no particular order. Bowden, Owens, Brookhart and Faust. Didn't know Larsen or Dennison. I'll leave the vote to those who know everything about all those listed. 

This poll is like voting for whose the tallest midget. Four of the six candidates don't even have winning records.

Edit: I've changed my mind and am going with John Heisman (even though he's not listed as a choice) for his contribution to the game of football.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

This poll is like voting for whose the tallest midget. Four of the six candidates don't even have winning records.

Edit: I've changed my mind and am going with John Heisman (even though he's not listed as a choice) for his contribution to the game of football.

Noted.  If you are aware of the history of the program, the fact is the earlier coaches dealt with a lot of junk that made a different other than wins and losses.  Recruiting to and practicing/playing at The Rubber Bowl is a major astrisk for Faust, Owens, and Brookhart (first half of tenure).  Almost impossible. The Ianello, Bowden and Arth eras have so much to work with, yet, have not delivered consistent results. That falls on Wistricil and Williams for hiring coaches that, 2/3, proved to not be able to recruit and retain relative talent from NE Ohio, or within 100 miles.  You cannot win at Akron based on transfers and reputations from 15 years ago.

I voted for Gordon Larsen. From having seen Akron coaches over the years he is by far the best. He prepared teams better than any coach I've seen and he also performed well in the big games. I'm thinking about against Kent led by Don James and against Tampa, who was going big time with several D1 All Americans. Larsen beat them 40-0. He gave Terry Bradshaw of Louisiana Tech a game in the Grantland Rice Bowl. I wish I could have voted for Jim Dennison, but the fact is he had a losing record against the best coaches in the Ohio Valley Conference. He was regularly out-coached by Jim Feix at Western Kentucky, Frank Beamer at Murray State and Roy Kidd at Eastern Kentucky. Dennison got most of his wins against the bottom half of the OVC. Nonetheless he was a great guy and I admired his character so much.