Biggest Moment in Zip Football History

DannyHoke

Biggest Moment in Zip Football History  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:47 AM, ZipsVoice said:

They were my highlights, especially the win over Northern Michigan.  It was my first real tailgate experience and my first "sneak a flask into a game" game.  We said we'd do a shot after every score.  I was hammered!  But the excitement of that game and those games were the beginning for me.

C'mon Lee, I'm with ZippyRulz, you've got to stop this wishing we were small again.  It ain't gonna happen, nor should it.  The MAC is a good home for us, and if we dropped down to FCS or D2, it would destroy all the other top-caliber programs we have, besides football.  I know you only look at the football side, but Men's soccer and soon to be women's soccer, swimming and diving, track and field, now volleyball...they would be decimated.

As the father of a college diver, I appreciate your point about keeping the entire program in view, not just football.  

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 12:20 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

2005 MAC Title Game. 

What a road to get in, needing help from the NIU/WMU game. What a comeback. Garrett Wolfe throwing up over 200 yds on the ground, prompting the SportsCenter personality to say in an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice, "I will poop on all your defense!" My dad wanting to leave with something like 3-5 minutes left in the game before wisely appeasing his 11 year old son at the time who wanted to stay (I still remember the pessimist in him thinking Hixon dropped the ball, thinking "that's an Akron thing to happen"). Hixon battling cramps all game. And of course, who could forget...

"Getsy pumps, he throws for Hixon and it is... CAUGHT! FOR A TOUCHDOWN! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"

My wife and I were at that game. I was standing in the aisle at Ford Field throwing some'f' bombs before the final drive. NIU just ran out of gas and Hixon ran right past his defender. Still think Getsy was one of at least the top 3 'QB's in Akron history. Not the best athlete. But, he could run a game. Thanks Luke.

Edited by Lee Adams
speel
  • Like 4

On 10/27/2019 at 2:51 PM, Cykron said:

As the father of a college diver, I appreciate your point about keeping the entire program in view, not just football.  

Do I WANT Akron to move back down to FCS or DII!? Hell I don't want them to! But given the financial state of the ENTIRE University and the financial state of athletics specifically, moving wouldn't bring in any more money, but it would cost less to operate the AD which could free up some money to go to other areas. No, the bill on Info wouldn't go away. Never said it would.

But costs would be reduced. Students wouldn't be footing as much of the bill for an activity in which the vast majority have little or no interest. How many attend games on a regular basis? Yet, part of their student fees go to support the AD,no?

Would the athletic teams be more competitive at FCS or DII? Who knows for sure. But, they were previously. What would happen to swimming/diving, soccer and track/field?No sports at U of A are self supporting are they? This is all gonna depend on how the new Prez sees an urgency to make changes. And, no the University can not afford to pay off another fired coach whether it be football or basketball. Oh, and baseball comes back in the spring. But,it got a big infusion of money from an outside source.

Given the states of the football and basketball programs,2020 is going to be a very important year for athletics here.

Can we at least have a few fans to show up for the EMU game, please?

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Can we at least have a few fans to show up for the EMU game, please?

That has as much chance of happening as us moving down to FCS or D2.......

By the way...how many NCAA FBS teams have moved down to FCS since the split?

Edited by ZipsVoice

Going for two.... against a FBS school....at home.... and losing!  Just kidding!   I was at the MAC Championship game and I think that's my top moment.  However, I was also at the 1992 Acme Zip Game where Darren Alcorn kicked a 57 yard fg as time expired to beat Toledo, I believe.  That, was awesome!  

• Like 1