Game 8: Zips @ NIU - Oct. 26th - 3:30 p.m.

Blue & Gold

2 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Sorry, guys. This is worse than Ianello ball. I'll watch some more first halves this year, no reason to waste 3 hours. Hope for vast improvement next year.

You are correct.

This coach is totally clueless.

Long pass on 3rd and 1, illegal formation on a punt.

They could go find a homeless guy who could do a better job.

3 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Sorry, guys. This is worse than Ianello ball. I'll watch some more first halves this year, no reason to waste 3 hours. Hope for vast improvement next year.

Can't argue with that. I'm getting ready to move on with my day as well. May listen but watching is just not a good use of time.

Each week I watch to see if there is any improvement.  Each week we get worse.  Besides being bad now we are committing penalties, delay of game, illegal procedure, illegal formation, hands to the face.  Arth made a big deal in that we practice in bad weather because we play football in bad weather.  Well, this quarterback cannot throw the ball in the rain.  Everything is high.  I wonder if there is some record for futility.  How long has it been since we scored a touchdown?   I wonder if this team will even score a touchdown the rest of the season.  I thought the end of last season was bad.  This is worse!  

9 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Each week I watch to see if there is any improvement.  Each week we get worse.  Besides being bad now we are committing penalties, delay of game, illegal procedure, illegal formation, hands to the face.  Arth made a big deal in that we practice in bad weather because we play football in bad weather.  Well, this quarterback cannot throw the ball in the rain.  Everything is high.  I wonder if there is some record for futility.  How long has it been since we scored a touchdown?   I wonder if this team will even score a touchdown the rest of the season.  I thought the end of last season was bad.  This is worse!  

I was taking the same approach, but it is getting really tough to be optimistic looking forward.  Hard to find any silver linings in this mess of a football team.

10 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

What an opportunity this administration had to do something special for the program last November/December. Welcome to a new low. 

I will go to the games and support the players and the school and wait for a reckoning for all those involved in this hiring.  I know there were some on the selection committee who had absolutely no football knowledge.    The soccer team is playing like a champion again, and basketball starts in a week.

Also, want to give a special shout out to Kato Nelson for getting himself suspended for 3 games at the most vulnerable moment of the season for this team.  

• Like 1

I was a born and bred tOSU fan until I went to Akron at 41 years old. I took the bait and became a Zips fan.

That was 12 years ago.

I feel like somebody should have warned me...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

It really can't get any worse.   

Unfortunately, it can. What a disaster. I hope Arth has the guts to restructure his staff in the off-season. This team is poorly prepared and has zero confidence it can win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

Unfortunately, it can. What a disaster. I hope Arth has the guts to restructure his staff in the off-season. This team is poorly prepared and has zero confidence it can win.

Restructure his staff? Lol. He arranged it to begin with, I have little hope that restructuring will yield the results needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Restructure his staff? Lol. He arranged it to begin with, I have little hope that restructuring will yield the results needed.

One positive way to look at this is that sometimes you truly have to bottom out in order to make the meteoric rise.

When putting together a staff your first staff would logically be your best effort, as it would be fresh, new, and full of hope.  How many people are going to jump on board an 0-12 team and put their careers on the line?  What you are criticizing here with the makeup of Arth's staff was literally a harbinger of what we are around to see in terms of player recruitment.  If you cannot get a staff of  qualified people to surround you as a head coach what does that forecast for the future?  Nice guys, sure, but also proving to be unqualified for the task at hand.  Arth has now gone a full calendar year without a win as a head coach. Someone thought it was a good idea to buy him out of his Chattanooga contract to launch this pain train. Who are the people who made these decisions?  That's rhetorical. Last year was a once in a decade opportunity to right the course of the Zip football program, and all signs at the present are that there were some major flaws in the financial and search aspects of this process.

It's always darkest before the dawn.

Keeping it real, we all know this personnel make-up is not changing any time soon.  We bought out Bowden, and paid Chattanooga to get Arth, the athletics department has no revenue coming in off football and so this is our reality for the next 3-4 years.  Our new President, Gary Miller, shared that "We need a strategic horizon about three to five years where we really make some hard choices, go with our strengths and move the university through the current proximate difficulties," he said., Miller's last two schools did not even have football, so there is no precedent in his past which points to investing more money in football when the rest of the university is struggling with fiscal matters. The University of Akron saw an overall 6.5% decline in enrollment this fall

Someone wrote above "Good money after bad", perhaps, but there has never been a steady stream of revenue coming in off Akron Football to look back on and say we are missing out on anything, so it's truly hopeful conjecture to assume that it could ever materialize. The next two home games are on Tuesday nights in November and will have less than 1,000 butts in Infocision Stadium, and a winless 2019 season hanging over the program. That's the reality of what our coaching staff will be armed with when they go out and recruit over the next 3 months. You could have Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, John Heisman and Vince Lombardi on the sideline and that is a pretty tall mountain to scale.

All we can do now is hope for the best.  

Dr Z - The ESPN crew, yeah, they made the game funny at times. I appreciate your positive take. Every little bit of light helps.

As for AJ Watts, it would be nice if his twitter bio correctly listed the name of the school he attends and plays for https://twitter.com/anthonyajwatts?lang=en

We cheer the Akron Blue and Gold,
We cheer as the colors unfold.

We pledge anew, we're all for you,
As the team goes crashing through,
Fight! Fight!

We cheer the Akron warriors bold,
For a fight that's a sight to behold,
So we stand up, and cheer and shout,
For the Akron Blue and Gold!

Edited by DannyHoke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1