Assessing Coach Arth (and his staff)

akronzips71

37 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Some have trashed this coaching staff, but in just a year and 2 months since they've been here, we have had 4 assistants move on to better opportunities - Kevin Koger (Packers), Shelton Felton (Tennessee), Jonathan Cooley (Rams), and Davern Williams (Troy). Seemed like Shelton Felton had some good GA recruiting connections.

In all of Bowden's years, I only remember one coach moving on to better opportunities - Terrell Buckley (Louisville).

That's because they'd already reached the pinnacle in coaching- being on the staff of a Bowden.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:51 AM, LZIp said:

Some have trashed this coaching staff, but in just a year and 2 months since they've been here, we have had 4 assistants move on to better opportunities - Kevin Koger (Packers), Shelton Felton (Tennessee), Jonathan Cooley (Rams), and Davern Williams (Troy). Seemed like Shelton Felton had some good GA recruiting connections.

In all of Bowden's years, I only remember one coach moving on to better opportunities - Terrell Buckley (Louisville).

One thing that many successful football teams have in common is consistency in the coaching staff.

These guys are like rats jumping  from a sinking ship.

4 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

One thing that many successful football teams have in common is consistency in the coaching staff.

Zipmeister are you kidding me with this jibber jabber. You obviously know nothing about the way coaching works. All these guys who have moved on have done so because their expertise has catapulted them to bigger roles at bigger schools or the NFL. What is this rat nonsense about?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Successful programs lose coaches every year.  Look at any winning program and you will see they turn over complete staffs ever 2 or 3 years.  This shows me Arth is bringing in good people on his staff.  Now he needs more good players and hopefully we will have something to root for here.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

Successful programs lose coaches every year.  Look at any winning program and you will see they turn over complete staffs ever 2 or 3 years.  This shows me Arth is bringing in good people on his staff.  Now he needs more good players and hopefully we will have something to root for here.

Perfect example ... Ohio State staff.. Oh I guess they are rats too !! Child please! Remember ,its still a business and these guys are businessmen always looking to better themselves. Zipmeister needs to check himself.

29 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Some people just see what they want to see.

Sometimes consistency= mediocrity (see Rob Senderoff).

Consistency can also mean you spend your entire life making the fries.  Moving on often means you've done well and are sought by others for the quality of your work.

Arth gave a presentation in Tommy Evans last night.  From what I saw hes focusing on quality young men.  Also, GPA is up .8 points.  His assts have a recruiting chart that looks to to weed out partiers, tardiness, medical issues, academic problems, etc.  Although, I'm sure they are compromising on a few.

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Arth gave a presentation in Tommy Evans last night.  From what I saw hes focusing on quality young men.  Also, GPA is up .8 points.  His assts have a recruiting chart that looks to to weed out partiers, tardiness, medical issues, academic problems, etc.  Although, I'm sure they are compromising on a few.

I saw him "working" the JAR.  Very personable guy.  He certainly has the team going in the right direction off the field.  Let's hope on the field is next.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:42 AM, John Ward said:

Perfect example ... Ohio State staff.. Oh I guess they are rats too !! Child please! Remember ,its still a business and these guys are businessmen always looking to better themselves. Zipmeister needs to check himself.

At the start of last season the 6 returning assistant coaches at Tosu had a combined 18 years at Tosu.

Clemson is pretty good.

At the start of last season the 10 returning assistant coaches there had a combined 62 years at Clemson. Two of them had longer tenure than the head coach.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, Zip JD said:

Does Clemson count as a winning program?

Zipmeister, you must live to think of ways you can attack the football program. Arth is our coach, get used to it. Direct all other communication to Larry Williams and leave us out of it. ?

10 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Does Clemson count as a winning program?

Fair question.  Change my earlier reply from all to most successful programs see assistants leave for coordinator or head coaching jobs elsewhere as they climb the ladder and move on.  

11 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Zipmeister, you must live to think of ways you can attack the football program. Arth is our coach, get used to it. Direct all other communication to Larry Williams and leave us out of it. ?

10 hours ago, John Ward said:

He still thinks Bowden is coming back ! Child please !

?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/13/2020 at 11:45 AM, Zipmeister said:

Others agree with me as we come in 125 in the first preseason rankings!!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28687236/preseason-sp+-college-football-rankings-alabama-back-no-1

Ouch.  5 MAC teams in the bottom 20!  

• 1 month later...

Looks like we have hired former Coventry HC, Ed Egan, to be Director of recruiting/high school relations. This position was previously held by Alex Kline. Looking at his twitter, he still appears to be involved with the program, so curious to what his new role will be if he is.