Assessing Coach Arth (and his staff)

akronzips71

On 6/11/2020 at 10:01 PM, LZIp said:

The academic achievements of our team this semester is impressive. It is my deepest hope that we can now use all these A's & B's to gain a lot more W's. We have too much experience with the L's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Arth mostly provides your standard coach speak so I don't get much out of him talking, but Scot Loeffler (who I believe some here wanted) is in a similar situation and was pretty direct regarding questions about progress/building the program at BG.

Damn, I like him!

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, LZIp said:

Jamael Lett took what I believe is a promotion from secondary coach here to special teams coordinator + defensive assistant at South Alabama?

Sounds like addition by subtraction to me! Our secondary has been terrible the past 2 seasons.

To be clear - 1 secondary coach left for the LA Rams after 1 season and Lett is leaving for a coordinator position at similar school after 1 season. I don't know if special teams coordinator is a promotion or not, but it seems it is. If both left for promotions, is coaching the issue?

47 minutes ago, LZIp said:

To be clear - 1 secondary coach left for the LA Rams after 1 season and Lett is leaving for a coordinator position at similar school after 1 season. I don't know if special teams coordinator is a promotion or not, but it seems it is. If both left for promotions, is coaching the issue?

I would say yes. We are either recruiting the wrong kids or we aren't coaching them up properly.

I was never thrilled with the Arth hire, but I figured I'd give him a chance. Arth inherited a roster depleted of talent, but next season those excuses I feel need to stop. The team needs to show meaningful improvement next season. 3 years is enough time to bring in some talent. I'm not saying they need to contend for a MAC title, but they need to start looking like an FBS program instead of an FCS one. Not that the Zips can fire him with 2 additional years left on his deal, but if we have another 0-2 win seasons, I will lose any faith he can right this ship

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Interesting. Let's play out a couple of scenarios.

First, Arth stays at Akron and combining his first three years at Akron with his time at UTC, nobody any bigger than Akron ever touches him. He is too young to let his career rot away at Akron. There is no Earthly reason for it, but it is truly The Graveyard of Coaches. Heck, Bowden is now in a worse situation than he was at Akron, but he was pretty long in the tooth.

Second scenario, he leaves Akron to go to LA to be the QB coach. He falls into a great opportunity with a great young QB. QB coaches are some of the highest paid non-coordinators in the NFL making almost $1 million annually on the high end.  More games annually and no job description that includes kissing the rear ends of 16-18 year old kids in the recruiting process. People can say whatever they want about soCAL, but if you make that kind of money you aren't living around homeless encampments.....Did I mention the weather? Their two "bad months" involve having to run the air conditioner because of the heat. Even if he only made $650K he would improve his income at Akron while improving his future employment opportunities. Hmmmm.....

If Arth hasn't at least made a call, he is nuts.