Assessing Coach Arth (and his staff)

akronzips71

5 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Just what we need, a coach from Kansas. Another team with a losing tradition. 

Gents ! Lets look past KU. Look at the big picture. He was taught by Matt Campbell who is pretty darn good. This could be good. Lets see how this one pans out.

55 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Gents ! Lets look past KU. Look at the big picture. He was taught by Matt Campbell who is pretty darn good. This could be good. Lets see how this one pans out.

I'm willing to welcome him and give him a shot. I guess that is depending on the offense actually discovering how to use the TE as a weapon. That will be a new concept to the coaching staff. Either way he comes to Akron at a time when excuses are fading and performance, as defined by wins, is required.

12 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I'm willing to welcome him and give him a shot. I guess that is depending on the offense actually discovering how to use the TE as a weapon. That will be a new concept to the coaching staff. Either way he comes to Akron at a time when excuses are fading and performance, as defined by wins, is required.

He played tackle for Toledo and these skills should transfer nicely to coaching our outer tackles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

He played tackle for Toledo and these skills should transfer nicely to coaching our outer tackles.

Do you think we might even throw the ball to an "outer tackle" one day? Just dreaming with nothing else to do until fall.

7 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Do you think we might even throw the ball to an "outer tackle" one day? Just dreaming with nothing else to do until fall.

I'm not sure so I asked my Magic Eight Ball and it replied "ask again later."

I remember the year that the Zips won the MACC they had a tight end that nobody on this board seemed to care for much.

I liked him; thought he was very athletic, but they almost never targeted him.

Then in the MACC game they did he made some really good catches and looked like he was ready for the NFL.

Why Akron has a habit (through multiple head coaches) of ignoring their tight ends is a mystery and a shame.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, monrowe said:

Maybe Marcus Wattley can be rehired? He’s available he Has some good ties to the area.

If I had my druthers I would go after Tim Tyrell at Hoban. He would have to take a serious pay cut to come and for that reason alone I don't think he would consider it. But he would make a great addition who could easily be groomed into a coordinator's position and down the road a potential HC.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 1:19 PM, LZIp said:

not sure we want to invite more bad PR right now....

I don't know why anyone would consider him. Forcing a kid to eat something that violates his religion tells you all you need to know. That was unconscionable.

Forget about the PR, what kind of message would that send players?

Weird motivational tactic regardless of the facts, IMO. He said he's seen it used at a D1 program....he played under Owens and coached under Bowden, so was obviously at Akron.

https://www.cantonrep.com/story/news/2021/06/07/fired-canton-mckinley-head-football-coach-marcus-wattley-speaks-out/7583606002/?utm_source=morning-roundup&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210608&utm_content=article10-readmore

Nobody is talking about what caused this event in the first place. I've seen a lot worse done to motivate malcontents to get with the program. 

One of the things scholastic sports does (allegedly) is to teach hard work and teamwork and commitment. Those are severely lacking with the snowflake generation. Nobody brings this up, the lazyass is made the victim.

JMHO YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spin said:

Nobody is talking about what caused this event in the first place. I've seen a lot worse done to motivate malcontents to get with the program. 

One of the things scholastic sports does (allegedly) is to teach hard work and teamwork and commitment. Those are severely lacking with the snowflake generation. Nobody brings this up, the lazyass is made the victim.

JMHO YMMV.

Things like this are always blown way out of proportion by the media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

What will get you more "clicks?"

"Coach punishes Jewish football player - forces him to eat pork"

or

"Disruptive local HS football player punished - chooses to pull pepperoni off pizza rather than eat chicken nuggets"  

Exactly!

• 4 weeks later...

I would say that the coaching staff changes are about a D if I had to grade them. Don’t know if you guys have been on the website lately but I was on there doing my normal research and I found that Coach Z has been demoted to just OL Coach from his OC title and now Gasser has the OC title. We have hit rock bottom with the RB coach hiring. TE Coach is suspect as well I know he was with Campbell at Iowa State but why did he go to Kansas? I also heard there was some solid candidates for that position. I can honestly see us winning 2-4 games this year which would all but doom Arth. Me personally I would’ve let Z go and kept Cook as OL Coach. Guy left and went to Denver and will be a position coach in a couple years. 

11 hours ago, Zippy7373 said:

I would say that the coaching staff changes are about a D if I had to grade them. Don’t know if you guys have been on the website lately but I was on there doing my normal research and I found that Coach Z has been demoted to just OL Coach from his OC title and now Gasser has the OC title. We have hit rock bottom with the RB coach hiring. TE Coach is suspect as well I know he was with Campbell at Iowa State but why did he go to Kansas? I also heard there was some solid candidates for that position. I can honestly see us winning 2-4 games this year which would all but doom Arth. Me personally I would’ve let Z go and kept Cook as OL Coach. Guy left and went to Denver and will be a position coach in a couple years. 

Judge Coach Z by his performance. He has yet to produce better O linemen or an offense that can move the ball.

Gasser being the OC should be a good move. He spent 4 years at Toledo under Campbell as the tight ends and special teams coach then followed him to Iowa State as the wide receivers and special teams coordinator for 3 years. Not sure what caused the break off there but he should know that offense very well. The new tight ends coach played for Campbell at Toledo as well as coached at Iowa State. I think these are 2 positive moves. Everyone needs to stop being so negative on here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Former Season Ticket Holder with a question.. I have not been following the Zips since Bowden was let go --- (not the main reason -- life can get complicated and your attentions have to focus elsewhere.)

But can someone please explain why he was fired?  Some on here say what  bad shape the program was in so he had to go.  That Arth has to build from scratch.

I am not saying Bowden was the long term answer at all.   But considering where we were before he came:

Bowden gave us 2 bowl appearances.  A MAC Title Game appearance, wins over Pitt and Northwestern and the almost program-changing performance at Michigan  and the over all record was:

"During the 2018 season, the Zips were 4-8 overall and 2-6 in the Mid-American Conference division.  They also defeated the Big Ten West Champion, Northwestern, 39-34.  This was Akron’s first win over a Big Ten opponent in school history.

Coach Bowden’s record leading the program is 35-52 overall and 23-33 in MAC play.  He also led the Zips to two post-season bowl games."

Arth has given us 1 win in 3 seasons..   that takes me back to Ianello flashbacks.

Edited by K-Roo