Assessing Coach Arth (and his staff)

akronzips71

17 hours ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

No Bowden is not Solich.  But he was a hell of a lot closer than any of the other losers we've had here, including Arth.  You can't go from Worst to first if you're Akron.  Especially after an 0-12 season.  Especially after 2-22.  I want whatever you guys are smoking.

Bowden was the tallest midget in a long line of pretty poor coaches. I'll give you that much. I'm sorry to hear that the best you think Akron can do is win ~40% of its games over the long run. You must think extremely lowly of your alma mater.

This year 8 MAC teams won 6+ games and 7 MAC teams are projected to go bowling. At least 6 MAC teams go bowling each year. If Bowden made us just an above average MAC program we'd have 4-5 bowls in his 7 year run. We made a total of 2. We were a below average MAC team during his tenure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Bowden was the tallest midget in a long line of pretty poor coaches. I'll give you that much. I'm sorry to hear that the best you think Akron can do is win ~40% of its games over the long run. You must think extremely lowly of your alma mater.

This year 8 MAC teams won 6+ games and 7 MAC teams are projected to go bowling. At least 6 MAC teams go bowling each year. If Bowden made us just an above average MAC program we'd have 4-5 bowls in his 7 year run. We made a total of 2. We were a below average MAC team during his tenure.

Oh, here we go. Back to personal insults. Seriously? Let it go. You were wrong.

3 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Oh, here we go. Back to personal insults. Seriously? Let it go. You were wrong.

Give me a break. It was hardly an insult. Certainly not anymore than him referring to me as being delusional or claiming that I'm on drugs. The overwhelming majority still is in agreement that firing Bowden was the right choice. Maybe you were content with Akron hovering around or below mediocrity, but the vast majority of this board wasn't. If there was any mistake it was in hiring Arth. As Jim McElwain showed, a good coaching hire makes the world of a difference.

If Bowden was half as good as you try claiming he was, he would have fielded legitimate job offers and wouldn't be an unpaid intern right now. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

One thing I will say - citing overall records without context is kind of a cheap argument for losing programs. Example - Arth could go 8-5 - and tie the record for most wins in a season - over the next 4 seasons and not have a winning record. Look no further than Rutgers going all in to bring back Greg Schiano, who had a 68-67 overall record there. Context is important.

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Give me a break. It was hardly an insult. Certainly not anymore than him referring to me as being delusional or claiming that I'm on drugs. The overwhelming majority still is in agreement that firing Bowden was the right choice. Maybe you were content with Akron hovering around or below mediocrity, but the vast majority of this board wasn't. If there was any mistake it was in hiring Arth. As Jim McElwain showed, a good coaching hire makes the world of a difference.

As Clark has pointed out several times, this is more than simply choosing between Bowden or Arth.  It was clearly time for a change unfortunately followed by a very questionable, possibly disastrous hiring by the AD.   Yes, Bowden beat Pitt and NW.  He also had a lot of MAC games where we were not competitive at all.  His teams were undersized and usually had no depth.   After beating NW last year, Bowden lost 8 of 10 (including the last 5 games of the year) and failed to score more than 7 points in 3 of the last 4 games.  Besides NW, his wins last year were an FBS team (Morgan State), a 1 win CMU team and a 2 win Kent team (Howard and BG).  That Zips team we watched this season was Bowden's players.  The cupboard was bare and after 7 years that is ALL on Bowden.  Arth was terrible this year, but the Bowden worship is unwarranted  He only won 35% of his Di games.  

It would be best for all of us to move on, Terry doesn't live here anymore.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

As Clark has pointed out several times, this is more than simply choosing between Bowden or Arth.  It was clearly time for a change unfortunately followed by a very questionable, possibly disastrous hiring by the AD.   Yes, Bowden beat Pitt and NW.  He also had a lot of MAC games where we were not competitive at all.  His teams were undersized and usually had no depth.   After beating NW last year, Bowden lost 8 of 10 (including the last 5 games of the year) and failed to score more than 7 points in 3 of the last 4 games.  Besides NW, his wins last year were an FBS team (Morgan State), a 1 win CMU team and a 2 win Kent team (Howard and BG).  That Zips team we watched this season was Bowden's players.  The cupboard was bare and after 7 years that is ALL on Bowden.  Arth was terrible this year, but the Bowden worship is unwarranted  He only won 35% of his Di games.  

It would be best for all of us to move on, Terry doesn't live here anymore.  

You sound like a guy who moved all his 401K money into penny stocks and lost everything.

Claiming that's it's OK because you would have only made 2% had you stayed where you were.

14 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Just go look at the history of the MAC.  Teams that do the best, the most; are the teams with the least amount of change.  You'll have your Kents, or BGSUs that bust out a 2-3 year stretch of really, really awesome success...then those coaches move on and the programs are back to crap.  

What has Kent done since it was in The MAC-C 7 years ago?  Oh...nothing.  
What has BGSU done since it was in the MAC-C 5-years ago?  Oh...gone back to crap.  
What did Miami do for 9-years after it was last in the MAC-C?  Oh...pretty much a bottom dweller until this year/sorta last year.

And your math is wrong.  Unless you're one of those teams that ALWAYS goes bowling (cough, Ohio...because you don't up and fire the coach like idiots chasing lottery tickets like Tom Arth...) you have more like a 4-10 (~40%) chance of going bowling.  so it's not 4-5 bowls in 7 years (that's Ohio territory, who doesn't play the lottery and jettison coaches to hire Tom Arth's/Ianellos) It should be about 2.8; and I'll round up and put it at 3.  I don't have the time to do it now; but I'd be willing to bet over a 7-year stretch the average MAC team goes 3-bowls every 7 years not 4-5.  4-5 over a 7 year span is the TOP, the cream-of-the-crop of the MAC.  And if we excluded the "first-year" (because the coach gets a "bye" year right?) its 2.4 which rounds to 2.  So Bowden preformed precisely where he should have on the "average" MAC team.  Certainly not the "below average" crap you guys keep spouting.

Edited by Zip-Grad '13

9 hours ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

Just go look at the history of the MAC.  Teams that do the best, the most; are the teams with the least amount of change.  You'll have your Kents, or BGSUs that bust out a 2-3 year stretch of really, really awesome success...then those coaches move on and the programs are back to crap.  

What has Kent done since it was in The MAC-C 7 years ago?  Oh...nothing.  
What has BGSU done since it was in the MAC-C 5-years ago?  Oh...gone back to crap.  
What did Miami do for 9-years after it was last in the MAC-C?  Oh...pretty much a bottom dweller until this year/sorta last year.

And your math is wrong.  Unless you're one of those teams that ALWAYS goes bowling (cough, Ohio...because you don't up and fire the coach like idiots chasing lottery tickets like Tom Arth...) you have more like a 4-10 (~40%) chance of going bowling.  so it's not 4-5 bowls in 7 years (that's Ohio territory, who doesn't play the lottery and jettison coaches to hire Tom Arth's/Ianellos) It should be about 2.8; and I'll round up and put it at 3.  I don't have the time to do it now; but I'd be willing to bet over a 7-year stretch the average MAC team goes 3-bowls every 7 years not 4-5.  4-5 over a 7 year span is the TOP, the cream-of-the-crop of the MAC.  And if we excluded the "first-year" (because the coach gets a "bye" year right?) its 2.4 which rounds to 2.  So Bowden preformed precisely where he should have on the "average" MAC team.  Certainly not the "below average" crap you guys keep spouting.

Losing coaches because other, bigger programs  want them isn't a bad thing. It means you're having successful seasons. NIU has probably been the most successful post Marshall team in the MAC. They're onto their 4th coach in a 12 year span. All 3 of the previous coaches were hired away by bigger pocketed programs. Holding onto underperforming coaches too long is what sets back your program. Of course any coachig hire requires competent people at the top to make the right hiring decision.

Yes, and had those programs kept those crappy coaches that were winning them 2-4 games per year they would still be winning 2-4 games per season. Keeping a guy around like Solich who has consistently had a high level of success is one thing. Keeping guys around that have stunk or been below average just for the sake of keeping them isn't good business. A guy isn't going to suddenly become a better coach in years 8-10. You know what you have by that point.

The MAC is going to have at minimum 7 bowl teams this season, but possibly 8. I want to see Akron be a consistent winner like NIU, OU, or what WMU has recently transformed into. We didn't spend $70 million on a football stadium to compare ourselves to Kent, who whores out its program 3x a year to the highest bidder. Roughly 6 MAC teams make bowl games per year. Given the money Akron plows into the program we should be among those 6 most years. Even excluding Bowden's first season he had a losing overall record and a losing conference record.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Let's pretend Terry was a great enough coach to win 4 games with this rag tag bunch. Where would we be right now after two straight 4 win seasons? Probably firing him and debating who we should hire. So let's move on. He left us with this mess.

Fearless forecast: Terry wins 0 - 2 games this season had he been given one more year.  If I had to pick, maybe he beats UMass, but who knows.

• Like 3

I know everyone likes to hold up Solich as the Gold Standard, but how many offers from bug schools has he had in the past 5 to 10 years, after solid performance seasons?  I know his age is a factor now, but does anyone remember the last time his name came up in a serious discussion about moving on to a "bigger" program?

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Losing coaches because other, bigger programs  want them isn't a bad thing. It means you're having successful seasons. NIU has probably been the most successful post Marshall team in the MAC. They're onto their 4th coach in a 12 year span. All 3 of the previous coaches were hired away by bigger pocketed programs. Holding onto underperforming coaches too long is what sets back your program. Of course any coachig hire requires competent people at the top to make the right hiring decision.

Yes, and had those programs kept those crappy coaches that were winning them 2-4 games per year they would still be winning 2-4 games per season. Keeping a guy around like Solich who has consistently had a high level of success is one thing. Keeping guys around that have stunk or been below average just for the sake of keeping them isn't good business. A guy isn't going to suddenly become a better coach in years 8-10. You know what you have by that point.

The MAC is going to have at minimum 7 bowl teams this season, but possibly 8. I want to see Akron be a consistent winner like NIU, OU, or what WMU has recently transformed into. We didn't spend $70 million on a football stadium to compare ourselves to Kent, who whores out its program 3x a year to the highest bidder. Roughly 6 MAC teams make bowl games per year. Given the money Akron plows into the program we should be among those 6 most years. Even excluding Bowden's first season he had a losing overall record and a losing conference record.

NIU is clearly the exception to the rule, not the rule.  Joe Novak built a very successful NIU program over 12-years.  His first 3 seasons combined were under 6 wins.  His first 6 seasons NIU never had more than 6-wins in a single season; first 4 under .500.  It wasn't until his 7th season that they saw "real" success; going 8-4; and didn't get to a Bowl game until 2004 (season #9 for him).  We can say that "times have changed"...which is fair...but if NIU had listened to the "don't tolerate failure" mentality, and firing people without understanding what it takes to build long-term success (stability) than NIU would not have become the long-term success it was.

After 12-seasons; Jerry Kill (a coach with 14-years coaching experience, 7 at FCS with considerable success) took over the program the already well-established program.  It wasn't like starting from scratch; and he had proven himself at every level he had been at.  That trend continued for him.

Dave Doeren (defensive coordinator for Wisconsin for three years...so coaching and recruiting experience in Division-1) took over an already well-established and successful program; and continued that success, and was hired by NC State.

Rod Kerry was already a coach under Doeren, and OC; and took over the team for the next 7-years before being hired by Temple.

NIU has been successful because it gave 12-years to ONE coach to build a damn program to a level of sustainability.  Bowden was our opportunity to do that; it was working...and we jettisoned him too early IMHO.  I know it's not what people want to hear, but it's a damn fact.  Akron WILL NOT BE COMPETITIVE in the remote future; and will likely jettison Arth before he can build a sustainable program. 

If you want a consistent winner like NIU, OU, and WMU; you just lost your opportunity for that.  NIU and OU the common denominator is longterm stability and dedication to building a stable program.  When Akron fired Bowden; they've set themselves back AT LEAST 3-5 years before they have an attempt to have a stable program like NIU, OU; and I would honestly put it at a decade.  10-years before Akron has another chance of having a stable program.

NIU and OU got to being in Bowl games every year because they built the program already.  We were in the midst of doing that.  OU and NIU were 4-5 years ahead of us in program stability and development. Period. It basically took NIU 9-seasons to start that consistently appearing in Bowl Games;

Using NIU as the measuring stick; Bowden was AHEAD of where NIU was at in it's program's road to developmental success.  Bowden had 2-Bowl games and a MAC-C appearance where NIU had neither at equal points in program development.

Edited by Zip-Grad '13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, footballzip said:

OU goes to low level bowl games every year, but has yet won a MAC championship under Uncle Solich

It was 5-years before OU started going to Bowl games-every year, and Uncle Solich took over a program that was hardly mediocre (putting Ohio in a completely different place than Akron).

If anything people should point to Miami who seems to be getting to consistently winning season after 6-years under Chuck Martin...and not looking at being NIU and OUs.  Miami was in a position similar to that of Akron.

37 minutes ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

It was 5-years before OU started going to Bowl games-every year, and Uncle Solich took over a program that was hardly mediocre (putting Ohio in a completely different place than Akron).

If anything people should point to Miami who seems to be getting to consistently winning season after 6-years under Chuck Martin...and not looking at being NIU and OUs.  Miami was in a position similar to that of Akron.

I do appreciate your passion, i know several players on the team over the last several years.  I just want to make clear I don’t know the solution.  The perception of the players over the last few years of Bowden is he lost the team.  No discipline, the team was ruling the roost.  Players where arguing with coaches, players were not taking their academics & commitments seriously by missing meetings & mandatory study times.  Also, the team was not made up of the high character players you want representing your community.  I know the AD is taking a lot of heat for the decision he made but IMHO his hands were tied & he had to make a decision.

Now, this may change over time but the players perception now is that Arth is just to much.  The day is scripted from beginning to end.  Over the top on demanding perfection.  Have to meet standards set for team.  Grades, study time & meetings plus perform at a D1 level.  He took scholarships away from players that didn’t meet these standards trying to raise the expectations.  I believe he lost some of them.  Over a couple years of his recruits hopefully this feeling will go away and succeed or this program will explode. I honestly don’t know which direction it is gonna go

Hopefully Arth can find that middle ground & can make this thing work cause ultimately we may all look at things differently but we want our Football team to succeed 

Go Zips ?

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Zip JD said:

Fearless forecast: Terry wins 0 - 2 games this season had he been given one more year.  If I had to pick, maybe he beats UMass, but who knows.

4 was extremely generous to avoid splitting hairs. This roster stunk, and it's not like a ton of talent transferred out when TB left

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

NIU is clearly the exception to the rule, not the rule.  Joe Novak built a very successful NIU program over 12-years.  His first 3 seasons combined were under 6 wins.  His first 6 seasons NIU never had more than 6-wins in a single season; first 4 under .500.  It wasn't until his 7th season that they saw "real" success; going 8-4; and didn't get to a Bowl game until 2004 (season #9 for him).  We can say that "times have changed"...which is fair...but if NIU had listened to the "don't tolerate failure" mentality, and firing people without understanding what it takes to build long-term success (stability) than NIU would not have become the long-term success it was.

After 12-seasons; Jerry Kill (a coach with 14-years coaching experience, 7 at FCS with considerable success) took over the program the already well-established program.  It wasn't like starting from scratch; and he had proven himself at every level he had been at.  That trend continued for him.

Dave Doeren (defensive coordinator for Wisconsin for three years...so coaching and recruiting experience in Division-1) took over an already well-established and successful program; and continued that success, and was hired by NC State.

Rod Kerry was already a coach under Doeren, and OC; and took over the team for the next 7-years before being hired by Temple.

NIU has been successful because it gave 12-years to ONE coach to build a damn program to a level of sustainability.  Bowden was our opportunity to do that; it was working...and we jettisoned him too early IMHO.  I know it's not what people want to hear, but it's a damn fact.  Akron WILL NOT BE COMPETITIVE in the remote future; and will likely jettison Arth before he can build a sustainable program. 

If you want a consistent winner like NIU, OU, and WMU; you just lost your opportunity for that.  NIU and OU the common denominator is longterm stability and dedication to building a stable program.  When Akron fired Bowden; they've set themselves back AT LEAST 3-5 years before they have an attempt to have a stable program like NIU, OU; and I would honestly put it at a decade.  10-years before Akron has another chance of having a stable program.

NIU and OU got to being in Bowl games every year because they built the program already.  We were in the midst of doing that.  OU and NIU were 4-5 years ahead of us in program stability and development. Period. It basically took NIU 9-seasons to start that consistently appearing in Bowl Games;

Using NIU as the measuring stick; Bowden was AHEAD of where NIU was at in it's program's road to developmental success.  Bowden had 2-Bowl games and a MAC-C appearance where NIU had neither at equal points in program development.

By year 7 Novak had 3 straight winning seasons. Back then there were much fewer bowl games so there were maybe 2 MAC teams going bowling per year. Those NIU teams in years 5-8 would have made bowl games in today's college landscape. If anyone is an exception in today's college landscape it would be Frank Solich. If he wasn't already in his 60s when Ohio hired him, he would have been poached 7-8 years ago. Bowden was actually the 2nd longest tenured coach in the MAC at the time of his firing. Outside of Solich these long-term coaches you speak of don't exist in the MAC. Now the 2nd longest tenured MAC coach is 6 years. Coaches either win enough to move up to a bigger program or they lose too much and get canned. 

Kill still inherited a 2-10 program so its not like he was handed a golden goose. It sounds like you're more just taking shots at Arth here, which is fine. Arth was a questionable hire at best considering his performance at Chattanooga.

Bowden's win total peaked in year 4 and would have bottomed this year in year 8. As zippy5 pointed out had Bowden not been fired last year, he would have definitely been fired this season as there was no way any coach could win a sizable number of games with this roster. You act as though Akron moves on from coaches after 2-3 seasons. Outside of Ianello that hasn't been the case. Lee Owens got 9 and Faust got 8. Novak never had a losing season between years 5-11. That's how he made it to a 12th year. If Bowden did the same in years 5-7 he wouldn't have been canned before year 8 neither.

NIU key to stability is next man up when it comes to coaching hires. They could have easily made an Ianello hire that would have tanked their program, but they didn't. They clearly have competent AD and board members making their decisions. Ohio key to success was hitting on a coach who was in his 60s that no other program would want because of his age.

Once again there were much fewer bowl games back then. In today's era NIU would have been in 3 bowl games by year 7. In years 5-7 Novak had 3 consecutive winning seasons and hope to sell the fans as he was coming off an 8-4 season. In those last 3 years Bowden had 1 7-7 season and 2 losing seasons. We were coming off of a 4-8 season and anyone without rose colored glasses could tell we'd stink this year as we lost all the talent he had on defense. There was no hope for the future that Bowden could sell.

The season is mercifully over. Arth isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately he has to start rock bottom and build up. Bringing in the kids that fit his philosophy of a successful program. It really comes down to recruiting. Obviously needs to bring in bigger better talent than what TB left him. I believe it will take 3-5 years to get us bowl game worthy again. As long as we see improvement next year by at least being competitive and a few wins would be nice, we need to give Arth a chance. Most all positions need to be addressed especially in the trenches and a much needed running game.

Edited by footballzip

53 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

We'd be holding on to him for another year then not renewing his contract. And we'd be more than 1 million dollars better off because of it. To a financially strapped university, that's a huge deal. And after next season, we'd set off on a legitimate coaching search early in the season so the new guy would be well positioned to recruit in his first year.

They had to rip off the band-aid. SC game paid for Bowdens departure.

59 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

We'd be holding on to him for another year then not renewing his contract. And we'd be more than 1 million dollars better off because of it. To a financially strapped university, that's a huge deal. And after next season, we'd set off on a legitimate coaching search early in the season so the new guy would be well positioned to recruit in his first year.

We had plenty of discussions about this during Bowden's last season. It just doesn't happen in CFB, but we do now have at least a partial case study in our very own conference

Frank Solich's contract expires on 1/3/2020. https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2019/11/ohio-bobcats-football-frank-solich-contract-extension-renewal-amendment

Even with them being the standard in MAC East the past decade or so, they are currently ranked 11th in the conference in recruiting, less than 1 point from last place. https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=MAC

Whether he ends up getting extended or not, will be interesting to see what effect what looks to be a down year in recruiting does to OU down the road.

3 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Now, this may change over time but the players perception now is that Arth is just to much.  The day is scripted from beginning to end.  Over the top on demanding perfection.  Have to meet standards set for team.  Grades, study time & meetings plus perform at a D1 level.  He took scholarships away from players that didn’t meet these standards trying to raise the expectations.  I believe he lost some of them.  Over a couple years of his recruits hopefully this feeling will go away and succeed or this program will explode. I honestly don’t know which direction it is gonna go

Hopefully Arth can find that middle ground & can make this thing work cause ultimately we may all look at things differently but we want our Football team to succeed 

Go Zips ?

Kinda sounds like maybe that type of discipline was a problem in the past (assuming this is true, which I am unable to prove).  Maybe this whole year was a "rip the bandaid off" type of year, because this thing was that far into the toilet.

I'm going to pretend this is true, though, because it gives me a lot more hope for the future, especially with a recruiting class coming that seems pretty OK to my untrained eye.

5 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I do appreciate your passion, i know several players on the team over the last several years.  I just want to make clear I don’t know the solution.  The perception of the players over the last few years of Bowden is he lost the team.  No discipline, the team was ruling the roost.  Players where arguing with coaches, players were not taking their academics & commitments seriously by missing meetings & mandatory study times.  Also, the team was not made up of the high character players you want representing your community.  I know the AD is taking a lot of heat for the decision he made but IMHO his hands were tied & he had to make a decision.

Go Zips ?

I heard some of this as well.  The first meeting with Arth the room stank of marijuana and many were shabbily dressed.  He wouldn't have it.  I know we can't compare sports but it reminded me of something Jodi Kest said after she took over the women's basketball program.  She said something like...I'm not going to let some 19 year olds push me around and run this program.   I said this was a "rip off the band aid" situation but it might have been more like an emergency open heart surgery.  And I agree that the university's problem was that they kept bad coaches for too long.  

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

We had plenty of discussions about this during Bowden's last season. It just doesn't happen in CFB, but we do now have at least a partial case study in our very own conference

Frank Solich's contract expires on 1/3/2020. https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2019/11/ohio-bobcats-football-frank-solich-contract-extension-renewal-amendment

Even with them being the standard in MAC East the past decade or so, they are currently ranked 11th in the conference in recruiting, less than 1 point from last place. https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=MAC

Whether he ends up getting extended or not, will be interesting to see what effect what looks to be a down year in recruiting does to OU down the road.

Solich extended his contract in 2015, 2017 and 2018. Appears he may just go year to year now that he's 75

2 hours ago, exit322 said:

Kinda sounds like maybe that type of discipline was a problem in the past (assuming this is true, which I am unable to prove).  Maybe this whole year was a "rip the bandaid off" type of year, because this thing was that far into the toilet.

I'm going to pretend this is true, though, because it gives me a lot more hope for the future, especially with a recruiting class coming that seems pretty OK to my untrained eye.

I had no idea about all this. If those boys came in the room smelling it up , well than more power to Mr Arth to rip off that band aid( ya’ll like that saying). Kudos to the man for trying to change the direction some of these boys were headed.With that being said I commend him for sending those home who felt they were bigger than the program.It’s not always about w’s & l’s. He's trying to make boys into men. Once he rids that locker room of those cancer’s and boys with their own agendas , he can start really coaching.