Assessing Coach Arth (and his staff)

akronzips71

27 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I had no idea about all this. If those boys came in the room smelling it up , well than more power to Mr Arth to rip off that band aid( ya’ll like that saying). Kudos to the man for trying to change the direction some of these boys were headed.With that being said I commend him for sending those home who felt they were bigger than the program.It’s not always about w’s & l’s. He's trying to make boys into men. Once he rids that locker room of those cancer’s and boys with their own agendas , he can start really coaching.

I think there were a # of those types lingering around on the men's BB program.  Some guys Groce HAD to keep and others were expendable.  Groce only had to manage 9 players as opposed to 85!!  When a basketball player goes missing, it's front and center but when a 2nd string OL loses his scholarship or becomes academically ineligible or fails a drug test, 99% of us don't even notice.  Arth had to lay down the law, and I'm sure "make example" of some.  That's mostly speculation on my part, but I'm sure there were some harsh choices with harsh results.

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

I had no idea about all this. If those boys came in the room smelling it up , well than more power to Mr Arth to rip off that band aid( ya’ll like that saying). Kudos to the man for trying to change the direction some of these boys were headed.With that being said I commend him for sending those home who felt they were bigger than the program.It’s not always about w’s & l’s. He's trying to make boys into men. Once he rids that locker room of those cancer’s and boys with their own agendas , he can start really coaching.

There was a photo of him screaming at the kids during one game and the players looked completely disengaged. You can build accoubtabilitity and discipline without a blowhard. Screaming doesn't turn boys into men, it creates a culture of control and abuse. There are a lot of warning signs from this guy and everyone seems content to ignore them.

9 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

There was a photo of him screaming at the kids during one game and the players looked completely disengaged. You can build accoubtabilitity and discipline without a blowhard. Screaming doesn't turn boys into men, it creates a culture of control and abuse. There are a lot of warning signs from this guy and everyone seems content to ignore them.

Im going to have to disagree with you on this. Have you ever seen Nick Saban on the sidelines or Urban Meyer? They are no strangers to ripping into those boys so lets not get all soft here. 

Edited by John Ward
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Im going to have to disagree with you on this. Have you ever seen Nick Saban on the sidelines or Urban Meyer? They are no strangers to ripping into those boys so lets not get all soft here. 

My friend's son plays football at Miami (Ohio), and he says the Coach is bipolar.  Yelling and screaming and can change on a whim.  And they won the MAC East.

Dambrot was known to be quite a yeller as well.

35 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Seriously. One photo of a coach yelling without context?! That's an incredibly soft comment and a reach. I immediately thought of Saban throwing a tantrum in the Iron Bowl Saturday as a counter example. I recall Hicks getting kicked out of a game, can't remember which one, and Arth going straight to him and sternly talking about the incident and why it can't happen. There was no screaming in a situation that would have 100% warranted it.I have met the man, though not in a football environment, but I have also observed him throughout the year, and based on what I can see, Arth's demeanor does not strike me as a blow hard at all. 

I will say 94zipgrad's comment about being him "too much"  did catch my eye though. He's proven that when he says something, we should listen. Is that feeling a result of Bowden not having control? Or is Arth being a control freak and having days scripted and expecting kids go to class, have good grades, etc not common at other places? My guess would be the former. Arth has disciplined players at the expense of the team throughout the year and the team had the highest ever cumulative GPA in his first semester. We all want results on the field - and thats what he's paid to get - but molding young men to be successful citizens post football is pretty damn important too.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

That's a rather detailed and specific conclusion from one random picture during a game. 

45 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Yes, but every player must make eye contact and react like they are hanging on every word.

1 hour ago, Spin said:

I liked the Bowden hire and how he coached, but I think we all have to admit he lost the team last year. 

I have to wonder if the loss of 'the Chest' from the staff had a role in the unraveling of team culture at Akron under Bowden. Amato was in his seventies, but he still had some charisma that players respected. Chuck brought in some good linebackers here and I think he was missed after his retirement.     

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I don’t think adding up all our rush attempts we got 1,000 yards total

Coming into the Ohio game, we had a total rushing yardage of 999 yards on 302 attempts, and lost 464 yards rushing, for a net total of 535.  Our opponents net yardage was 2,311!   We had 41 rushing yards against Ohio, 73 positive and 32 negative.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2019 at 8:07 PM, John Ward said:

Yup. That is the way some guys do it and they get away with it. Those days are disappearing, in case you haven't noticed. Waiting for someone to complain about kids going soft in 3-2-1...

On 12/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Yes, but every player must make eye contact and react like they are hanging on every word.

Hang on every word? No. Look like they dont even want to be there? That is a problem.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:39 PM, LZIp said:

Seriously. One photo of a coach yelling without context?! That's an incredibly soft comment and a reach. I immediately thought of Saban throwing a tantrum in the Iron Bowl Saturday as a counter example. I recall Hicks getting kicked out of a game, can't remember which one, and Arth going straight to him and sternly talking about the incident and why it can't happen. There was no screaming in a situation that would have 100% warranted it.I have met the man, though not in a football environment, but I have also observed him throughout the year, and based on what I can see, Arth's demeanor does not strike me as a blow hard at all. 

I will say 94zipgrad's comment about being him "too much"  did catch my eye though. He's proven that when he says something, we should listen. Is that feeling a result of Bowden not having control? Or is Arth being a control freak and having days scripted and expecting kids go to class, have good grades, etc not common at other places? My guess would be the former. Arth has disciplined players at the expense of the team throughout the year and the team had the highest ever cumulative GPA in his first semester. We all want results on the field - and thats what he's paid to get - but molding young men to be successful citizens post football is pretty damn important too.

What exactly are you smoking? Bowden lost control? What a joke. I am related to a player who played under Bowden. He skipped a couple of classes and started to let grades slip and it was dealt with before it became a problem. You seem nice, but full of crap, TBH.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, Spin said:

I liked the Bowden hire and how he coached, but I think we all have to admit he lost the team last year. 

Complete BS.

Oh, and Arth has yet to demonstrate that he has the team with him. I see zero evidence of that. Zero. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Yup. That is the way some guys do it and they get away with it. Those days are disappearing, in case you haven't noticed. Waiting for someone to complain about kids going soft in 3-2-1...

Hang on every word? No. Look like they dont even want to be there? That is a problem.

What exactly are you smoking? Bowden lost control? What a joke. I am related to a player who played under Bowden. He skipped a couple of classes and started to let grades slip and it was dealt with before it became a problem. You seem nice, but full of crap, TBH.

Complete BS.

Oh, and Arth has yet to demonstrate that he has the team with him. I see zero evidence of that. Zero. 

What was that song from that Disney movie  Frozen?  Oh, I remember..."LET IT GO!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/3/2019 at 6:55 PM, 94zipgrad said:

I don’t think adding up all our rush attempts we got 1,000 yards total

As the TV announcer said on Friday during the Buffalo game, "Their QB is really good at handing off!"  

• Haha 1