Assessing Coach Arth (and his staff)

akronzips71

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Because Bowden was relieved of his duties for the sake of installing our next great coach, Arth. It is therefore impossible to dissociate the two.

We are a severely cashed strapped university. The only responsible time to move on from Bowden would have been after his contract expired. And yes, if we had another season or two like the 2018 season, I would have been okay finding a new coach at that time.

And because it didnt even take most fans a year to realize it was a colossal mistake to fire Bowden last year....minus the two posters who can't admit they were wrong 

Last year I was not in the fire Bowden camp but rather in the please replace Milwee camp.

That being said I do think it is difficult to just say a new coach is terrible in year one unless it has to do with behavior and discipline. While I certainly cannot say I am a huge fan of the Arth hire so far I do think, as far as my own opinion is concerned, that the jury is still out and probably will be until the midpoint of next season.

I will continue to support my Zips as always no matter who the coach.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

Last year I was not in the fire Bowden camp but rather in the please replace Milwee camp.

That being said I do think it is difficult to just say a new coach is terrible in year one unless it has to do with behavior and discipline. While I certainly cannot say I am a huge fan of the Arth hire so far I do think, as far as my own opinion is concerned, that the jury is still out and probably will be until the midpoint of next season.

I will continue to support my Zips as always no matter who the coach.

Just curious; how did you select the midpoint of next season (as opposed to the end of next season or any other point other than the midpoint of next season) as the time at which the jury should come in?

54 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Just curious; how did you select the midpoint of next season (as opposed to the end of next season or any other point other than the midpoint of next season) as the time at which the jury should come in?

I probably shouldn't have said midpoint but rather well into next season. That is when I would hope improvement is evident. I just don't always know how easy it is to read the non-conference part of the schedule and you really don't know much about the new year's teams. Certainly not sure how much knowledge we can gain if the Zips go to Clemson and lose 56-3.

its also not all about wins and losses as long as the team seems to be more competitive and improving. My main point, though, was that I don't put a lot of stock in a new coach's first year. there were some who said Bowden would be terrible after his first year at Akron, others said he would be great. I think its safe to say he was neither. I remember how everyone loved Brookhart after leading the Zips to the MAC title in his first year but he was not the springboard everyone envisioned either. Just saying that you can't judge much by a first year. you hope to see a glimpse of the future in year two but can tell a lot more by the time year three comes along.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 5:50 PM, Zipmeister said:

Eew!!!  More lawyer talk; my nipples are getting hard.

You guys must be desperate for something to argue about.

Where have the good old days gone when a major bone of contention was new uniform designs?

We aren't arguing, we're looking for solutions, which is what I wish more of us were doing. If the program is in this shape in 2-3 years, it is in grave danger.

Meanwhile, many of us are defending past decisions and hoping or expecting Arth to turn this thing around. Those who are might as well be just praying to the football gods, and that is exactly the kind of thinking that got us in this position for the second time in less than a decade.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

We aren't arguing, we're looking for solutions, which is what I wish more of us were doing. If the program is in this shape in 2-3 years, it is in grave danger.

Meanwhile, many of us are defending past decisions and hoping or expecting Arth to turn this thing around. Those who are might as well be just praying to the football gods, and that is exactly the kind of thinking that got us in this position for the second time in less than a decade.

I think at this juncture, that's all we're left with- hope, because UA can't afford to pay 3 head football coaches. 

The solution may well be '"do better in the future" and "don't repeat past mistakes" but there's no going back to fix it.  If the Arth era ends up the disaster many of you suggest, all any of us can do is hope the administration, trustees,  AD and boosters learn from their errors.

• Like 1

X;s & O's help, but Jimmie's & Joe's win games.  lets see what next months class looks like.  One must also keep in mind that very few freshmen can contribute on the line.  It takes a year or two to develop linemen; so, l would look for JC linemen to be a priority.  No one is happy with our results this season, but l am still hopeful for our future.  

59 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Honestly, I feel the uniforms for both the basketball and football program are top notch. It's the one thing the athletic department does a great job at.

+1.  IMO we have the best looking uniforms in college football.  And basketball, for that matter. 

Edited by Blue & Gold

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Honestly, I feel the uniforms for both the basketball and football program are top notch. It's the one thing the athletic department does a great job at.

If I recall, didn't ESPN or Fox Sports or someone write our football unis were one of the best in college football?  I agree with kreed on this.  Some of the worst unis are the football ones where the numbers are the same color of the jersey but have a gold outline around them.  Can't read the #s aka Western Michigan in football and in MSOC.

20 hours ago, Ham said:

X;s & O's help, but Jimmie's & Joe's win games.  lets see what next months class looks like.  One must also keep in mind that very few freshmen can contribute on the line.  It takes a year or two to develop linemen; so, l would look for JC linemen to be a priority.  No one is happy with our results this season, but l am still hopeful for our future.  

If you watched Miami vs Ohio last night the 2 Gs on the line for Miami were true FR. They did a pretty good job. 

23 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think at this juncture, that's all we're left with- hope, because UA can't afford to pay 3 head football coaches. 

The solution may well be '"do better in the future" and "don't repeat past mistakes" but there's no going back to fix it.  If the Arth era ends up the disaster many of you suggest, all any of us can do is hope the administration, trustees,  AD and boosters learn from their errors.

Well said.. lol

3 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Probably to lazy to sign out of his other account. He succeeded in getting his agenda going strong.  No need to stir the pot anymore

Peering into my computer screen, I think I saw two members get advised to ratchet back negative  Arth comments. One complied and now rarely posts and the other either quit or failed to comply and got booted.  I'm not 100% certain about this and admit that it has been some time since I cleaned my computer screen.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

Peering into my computer screen, I think I saw two members get advised to ratchet back negative  Arth comments. One complied and now rarely posts and the other either quit or failed to comply and got booted.  I'm not 100% certain about this and admit that it has been some time since I cleaned my computer screen.  

Interesting...what is inherently wrong with negative Arth comments?  I found them entertaining hahaha.  But I supposed Danny was a little much...

• Confused 1

On 11/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, Zip-Grad '13 said:

Interesting...what is inherently wrong with negative Arth comments?  I found them entertaining hahaha.  But I supposed Danny was a little much...

It got old listening to the whining from people about me posting actual FACTS.  A lot of people on this board are apologists at best, or just simply losers at worst who are conditioned to being doormats.

On to tonight's 10th loss of the season in front of 43 people on national television.  

Right around the 7:55 mark of the 3rd Quarter of the EMU game, the ESPN color man noted something above my pay grade and light years beyond George Thomas' competence.  He said that the Zips don't block the defense's linebackers?  And that he had asked Arth about this perplexing strategy earlier in the week and Arth had said they prefer not to do that as it has something to do with the RPO they run and they like their OL to focus on blocking the DL and, I think he said, "keeping their hands down."  I have no idea what that means, but neither did the ESPN color man.  I wish I knew who the commentator was, but I believe he is a former player and has seen more than his fair share of football.  Anyhow, he went on to say, "I'd love to play linebacker against these guys [Akron].  Last week they put a Bowling Green linebacker in the hall of fame off just one game."

This actually sounds like it could be, unlike much of this thread, an insightful criticism and point of discussion.

• Like 2

No one at the game, getting blown out again, but we have scored a Touchdown for the first time in 18 quarters, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.  It's only a 4 possession game heading into the final 15 minutes of play.

36 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Right around the 7:55 mark of the 3rd Quarter of the EMU game, the ESPN color man noted something above my pay grade and light years beyond George Thomas' competence.  He said that the Zips don't block the defense's linebackers?  And that he had asked Arth about this perplexing strategy earlier in the week and Arth had said they prefer not to do that as it has something to do with the RPO they run and they like their OL to focus on blocking the DL and, I think he said, "keeping their hands down."  I have no idea what that means, but neither did the ESPN color man.  I wish I knew who the commentator was, but I believe he is a former player and has seen more than his fair share of football.  Anyhow, he went on to say, "I'd love to play linebacker against these guys [Akron].  Last week they put a Bowling Green linebacker in the hall of fame off just one game."

This actually sounds like it could be, unlike much of this thread, an insightful criticism and point of discussion.

Color guy is Ray Bentley, 7 yr NFL player - 6 with Buffalo. Memorable to me for painting his face with a lot of eye black. Played at CMU.

• Like 1