Game 1- Malone University Pioneers

clarkwgriswold

From the Pioneers' website-

Malone finished 15-14 overall last season and 9-11 in conference play. The Pioneers earned the number seven seed in the G-MAC Tournament, but were bounced by Walsh, eventual conference champs, in the opening round.

Entering the 2019-20 season, Malone was recently voted ninth among 12 teams in the G-MAC Preseason Coaches Poll. Walsh, which earned seven first-place votes, and Findlay, which received the other five, headline the early season frontrunners.

Clearly, this is a warm up game.  Nonetheless, it will be nice to see the Zips back on the floor and to see how the squad is shaping up.

I always like these first games against teams like this.  You get to see everyone play & watch Groce tinker with various lineups.  Malone will be all-in to win this game, while we'll be experimenting with various lineups & schemes. So sometimes these games can be closer than one would think.  I'm already looking forward to having my butt ache on those JAR bleachers.  It's been too long.  

16 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I always like these first games against teams like this.  You get to see everyone play & watch Groce tinker with various lineups.  Malone will be all-in to win this game, while we'll be experimenting with various lineups & schemes. So sometimes these games can be closer than one would think.  I'm already looking forward to having my butt ache on those JAR bleachers.  It's been too long.  

Might I suggest-

408314700.custom.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Yes, I agree. I want to see everyone get playing time, but with that being said, I want to win by a large margin. We have the depth now, so there is no reason it should be close no matter who we put on the floor together.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Seriously. Didn't we spend a decent chunk of change a few years ago so that, a minimum, all games would be streamed via ESPN?

That was before ESPN started hemorrhaging subscribers by the thousands and went with the ESPN+ business model.... 

ABJ/GT: Zips change offensive style for upcoming season

Nice article, GT!

...The Zips will open their season Tuesday at Rhodes Arena against Malone University with plans to unveil a look that features speed, athleticism and the ability to score. Groce wants to run the court and earn more possessions. He plans to play up to 10 players a night, utilizing a bench he considers deep.

...But the new style might come with a significant tradeoff — turnovers. In playing two preseason scrimmages, the Zips flipped the ball to their opponent a combined 39 times, something that wouldn’t bode well for overall success during the regular season. Groce said he’s willing to “live with” 13-14 per game...  "Nineteen, 20, 39 combined in the two is too many."

...“I’m into running and striking more in transition and having more possessions,” [Groce] said. “I’m even into understanding [that with] more possessions might come some more turnovers. I’ll swallow that, but I’m not going to tolerate poor defense.”

• Like 1