Game 1- Malone University Pioneers

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ/GT: Zips change offensive style for upcoming season

Nice article, GT!

...The Zips will open their season Tuesday at Rhodes Arena against Malone University with plans to unveil a look that features speed, athleticism and the ability to score. Groce wants to run the court and earn more possessions. He plans to play up to 10 players a night, utilizing a bench he considers deep.

...But the new style might come with a significant tradeoff — turnovers. In playing two preseason scrimmages, the Zips flipped the ball to their opponent a combined 39 times, something that wouldn’t bode well for overall success during the regular season. Groce said he’s willing to “live with” 13-14 per game...  "Nineteen, 20, 39 combined in the two is too many."

...“I’m into running and striking more in transition and having more possessions,” [Groce] said. “I’m even into understanding [that with] more possessions might come some more turnovers. I’ll swallow that, but I’m not going to tolerate poor defense.”

How unique is that; we are probably going to take a lot of teams by surprise this season.

Groce may be the first D1 coach ever to go with a fast paced offense and a stingy defense.

42 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

How unique is that; we are probably going to take a lot of teams by surprise this season.

Groce may be the first D1 coach ever to go with a fast paced offense and a stingy defense.

We saw a bit of this during the first few games of Groces first year until reality set in.   LCJ said the team is getting along better.  Groce has his guys + Sayles who I think is very easy going