at Cleveland State

32 minutes ago, bigzipguy said:

Even if the ZIPS win MAC tournament, the will enter the NCAA's with a losing record. When was the last time, if ever, that happened?

When was the last time they had a losing REGULAR SEASON??????

looks Like Steve Parker's last year ...was a losing year

9-10 in 1992

other less than sterling years

96     9-9-1

2000    7-7-3

79        7-7-2

1965   4-7-0

What the hell?  Nice night to watch great soccer by a Great Lake....how bad this was.  I am totally at a loss, I cannot put my finger on what is wrong, it's just.....I don't know.  When I envisioned "off" seasons over the last 10 years, knowing that sometimes they happen, I guess I thought maybe a 10-8-0 season, not even a .500 season.  Or I thought there'd be "markers" along the way, to kinda warn that it might happen.  I thought if it did, it was due to a few catastrophic injuries to key players.  A gradual decline...not a #2 in the nation one year and a 4-win season the next...

What a long ride home this was....

• Like 1

I would like to hear others' opinions, but Oh, what I wouldn't give for a Morgan Hackworth or a Robby Dambrot --- that type of player who, when given his opportunity, works super hard to make a difference. What I saw at CSU last night had the feel of..."Hey we're Akron. We don't have to do anything but show up. CSU will just tremble and crumble before us." We had 3 starters out last night - Tojaga, Egbo, and Ritaccio - but did we see anyone who replaced them go out of his way to prove he deserves to be on the field?

Some people have said to me that the message that seems to be sent to local players is "Don't come to Akron. You want play." That's garbage. This is D1 NCAA Soccer, and the upper echelon of it. You come to Akron, you better expect to work hard, or you won't see the field. You have to compete for your playing time. A player may have been the greatest at his high school or for his club, but when he comes to Akron, he had better be prepared to prove he belongs on the field representing the great history that goes with our jersey. What I saw last night looked like few in our jersey cared to be there. Sad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Oh, what I wouldn't give for a Morgan Hackworth or a Robby Dambrot

Amen and Hallelujah!  So right on ME....

4 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

A player may have been the greatest at his high school or for his club, but when he comes to Akron, he had better be prepared to prove he belongs on the field representing the great history that goes with our jersey.

Can I get another Amen from the congregation please?  lots of "stars" on this team, but few want to prove it as a "team" star, to earn another star for the kit....

Big props to first year HC Sinisa Ubiparipovic. Once a Zip; always a Zip.

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-soccer/coaches/ubiparipovic_sinisa?view=bio

"The first-ever player from Akron to be drafted in the MLS SuperDraft, Ubiparipovic began his collegiate career at fellow Horizon League member UIC before transferring to the Zips program after one season. Ubiparipovic was a two-time All-American for Akron and was named the 2006 Mid-American Conference Player of the Year under then head coach Caleb Porter. Ubiparipovic scored 42 goals as a collegian, including a career-high 17 during his junior season. He was inducted into Akron’s Sports Hall of Fame in the fall of 2018."

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Like 3

I cannot believe there are people who think that the CSU game was the teams priority in this season. It was a non runner, shown by the team in which Embick chose to play. 

No Ritaccio, No Pachecco, No Tojaga, No Egbo - no chance.

Someone even suggested to me that the previous game, Egbo and Tojaga both got a yellow card on purpose to miss the appropriate game. ?

1 hour ago, YipaZip said:

I cannot believe there are people who think that the CSU game was the teams priority in this season. It was a non runner, shown by the team in which Embick chose to play. 

I agree Yipa, and never said it was...check my posts from when the MAC play began, I said none of the non-MAC games matered.  However, I still believe the 11 we sent out and the numbers we subbed n were far superior to the Vikings on the pitch, but saw no evidence of that.  We don't move forward into the NCAA with just our stars, we need depth...hence my disappointment at the level of play more than the outcome of the match.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I agree Yipa, and never said it was...check my posts from when the MAC play began, I said none of the non-MAC games mattered.  However, I still believe the 11 we sent out and the numbers we subbed n were far superior to the Vikings on the pitch, but saw no evidence of that.  We don't move forward into the NCAA with just our stars, we need depth...hence my disappointment at the level of play more than the outcome of the match.

Exactly @ZipsVoice I don't think any of us said the CSU game was a priority. I expect our Zips to show up, ready to play, whomever the opponent and regardless of who is not available. Disappointed that we didn't see that. 

Although the CSU game would not have affected RPI in a helpful way,  it would have given the Zips the possibility to finish the season/MAC Tourney with a winning record. Now, the best the Zips can do is 8-9-2. Could be the difference in getting a 1st round NCAA Tourney home game vs a road game.

• Thanks 1