Game 9: Zips @ BGSU - Nov. 2 - 2:00 p.m.

Blue & Gold

Our last reasonable chance for a W this season?

ABJ/GT: Zips still looking to put together cohesive effort

but also don’t be surprised to see more freshmen make their way onto the field in coming weeks on special teams and even earning spots on the two-deep depth chart. The NCAA allows freshmen to appear in four games before losing a year of eligibility.

Arth wants to maximize playing time for players and, for those with limited experience, the time is nigh. He singled out former Massillon standout Kyshod Mack, a defensive back, and linebacker Corey Thomas Jr. as two such players.

I've been waiting to see the two aforementioned players.  I've been a little perplexed that we haven't seen them already.  Almost as perplexing as Peter Hayes-Patrick's lack of PT.

GT also confirms Shawn Featherstone is done for the year.  So his Zips' career is now officially over.  He was a good one when healthy.  How about a little more Reggie Corner, Jr.?

Who would you all like to see start at QB? Is Kato still suspended?

If Kato is able to play I think I would like to see him start. I would not want to burn Gibson's redshirt. I am not sure where he is in game count and there are still three left after this one. Maybe we could see more of what Deshields can do?

BG has been very Jekyll and Hyde this year with more poor performances than good. Hopefully this turns out to be a competitive game.

Whoever gives us the best chance of winning should be the one who starts. Back in 2016 Akron was sitting at 5-6 and needed to beat Ohio to gain bowl eligibility. We elected to start a WR at QB instead of Kato because we didn't want to burn his redshirt. Who knows maybe had Kato been our QB we could have won. Three years later and people are talking about benching Kato and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred this offseason so he wouldn't even be on our roster for his 5th year. You know the year we redshirted for the purpose of keeping him for. With the way the portal is and the way new players are constantly coming in to compete for jobs, I don't see the value in red shirting unless you don't think that player can help you year 1 as you already have better players at the position.

Someone might argue that this season is a lost cause because we're not going bowling. The thing is recruits are still watching these games and if we're able to build any kind of momentum instead rolling over and losing our last 4 games by 20+, that may help to land a few that are on the fence.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Whoever gives us the best chance of winning should be the one who starts. Back in 2016 Akron was sitting at 5-6 and needed to beat Ohio to gain bowl eligibility. We elected to start a WR at QB instead of Kato because we didn't want to burn his redshirt. Who knows maybe had Kato been our QB we could have won. Three years later and people are talking about benching Kato and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred this offseason so he wouldn't even be on our roster for his 5th year. You know the year we redshirted for the purpose of keeping him for. With the way the portal is and the way new players are constantly coming in to compete for jobs, I don't see the value in red shirting unless you don't think that player can help you year 1 as you already have better players at the position.

Someone might argue that this season is a lost cause because we're not going bowling. The thing is recruits are still watching these games and if we're able to build any kind of momentum instead rolling over and losing our last 4 games by 20+, that may help to land a few that are on the fence.

I agree with what you are saying but also see the other side of that equation. Since we are not going bowling what better time to see what else we have on the roster in real game action without losing potential years for players? I guess what I am saying is I would want Kato in if available and as long as it is a potentially winnable game. Beyond that I wouldn"t mind seeing what he have in Deshields or any QB that has yet to play. You can only see so much from practice so if there is a chance for game action without hurting their eligibility long term why not go for it?

On 10/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, kreed5120 said:

Whoever gives us the best chance of winning should be the one who starts. Back in 2016 Akron was sitting at 5-6 and needed to beat Ohio to gain bowl eligibility. We elected to start a WR at QB instead of Kato because we didn't want to burn his redshirt. Who knows maybe had Kato been our QB we could have won.

Maybe if Kato were the QB we would have won. But I guarantee that if JoJo Natson wouldn't have dropped that easy TD pass, we would have won. 

• Like 2

Akron Beacon Journal Akron vs. Bowling Green "scouting report"

Kato's off suspension.  I have no idea who will get the start.  I guess I'm leaning Kato.  Our OL is so porous I think we'll need Kato's scrambling ability.  I'm still perplexed at how bare Bowden left the QB cupboard.  Good grief.

Edited by Blue & Gold