Northern Illinois Home game - Saturday November 2nd

What is the tiebreaker?  Have we all ready clinched the MAC tourney at home?  Even with a loss - only one other team will have 10 points. I assume we have the tiebreaker over SIUE since we beat them but what about Western Michigan?  We tied them so if we lost and Western wins - who will host the tourney?   

Edited by malonepioneer12

MAC Standings

Akron, 3-0-1, 10 points, 9 GF, 4 GA: Goal Differential=5

WMU, 2-1-1, 7 points, 7 GF 5 GA: Goal Differential=2

SIUE, 2-1-1, 7 points

NIU, 2-2, 6 points

BGSU, 1-3, 3 points

WVU, 0-0-1, 1 point

Akron plays at WVU Thursday, Nov 7th at 7 pm EST

SIUE plays WMU at 1 pm Saturday, Nov 9th at 1 pm EST

Since SIUE & WMU play head to head, there cannot be a 3-way tie.

In the case of a tie with SIUE, Akron wins the MAC regular season on head to head

In the case of a tie with WMU, Akron & WMU tied 1-1 head to head; I think the next tiebreaker is goal differential which we currently lead. I can't find the tiebreaking procedures to verify, though.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 12.27.20 AM.png

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

If I recall correctly, there is a tiebreaker that is W-L vs common opponents. The Zips would lose this one. The only common opponents outside the MAC I see in 2019 are Michigan State and Xavier. Akron is 1-1; WMU is 2-0. 

edit: I can't remember which tie-breaker comes after head-head. This W-L record v common opponents, goal differential in the MAC, or other. I have searched the MAC website, but I can't find the tie-breaking procedures. (They have likely changed recently.)

Edited by Zip_ME87

Here you go:

TIE-BREAKER PROCEDURE
Ties in winning percentage, and thus for tournament, seeding positions shall be broken as follows:

1. Between TWO teams:
A. Head-to-head competition

B. Division Record*

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

D. Coin flip

2. For MULTIPLE (3 or more) team ties:
E. Total won-lost record/winning percentage* of games played among the tied teams

F. Two (2)-team tie-breaker procedure goes into effect (refer to A)
[NOTE: Once a three-team tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker will go into effect.]

^ - For the purpose of determining the Division champion. This tiebreaker is ONLY used for seeding purposes if the two teams in question are tied for the Division lead. (Teams will still be considered co-divisional champions)

* - Winning percentage is used instead of record because of situations where teams do not play each other the same number of times. Therefore, a team that is 1-0 (1.000) would win the tiebreaker over a team that is 1-1 (.500

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Thanks 2

@ZipsVoice thanks, but I believe those are the tie-breakers for football and basketball. I may be wrong, but I thought, at least in the past, that men's soccer had different tiebreakers. For example, there are no divisions in men's soccer. 

2 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

@ZipsVoice thanks, but I believe those are the tie-breakers for football and basketball. I may be wrong, but I thought, at least in the past, that men's soccer had different tiebreakers. For example, there are no divisions in men's soccer. 

I think this is the framework for all sports, taking out the division stuff.  I think the big items are section where three or more are tied for a position.  Those are the same for all sports, I believe.  I've done the math, and I think there's a 99% chance we're the #1 seed no matter what....but I could be wrong, as usual....

Oops, I re-read what I posted and it's not what I thought it was.  You are right ME, this is for the sports with divisions.  We had the discussion on tie breaking during the WSOC match Thursday and it is very confusing, and has to do with the results over higher ranked MAC teams, and such...it took a lot of noodling and still we didn't know until the final what the final placements were.....Sorry

Edited by ZipsVoice

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Oops, I re-read what I posted and it's not what I thought it was.  You are right ME, this is for the sports with divisions.  We had the discussion on tie breaking during the WSOC match Thursday and it is very confusing, and has to do with the results over higher ranked MAC teams, and such...it took a lot of noodling and still we didn't know until the final what the final placements were.....Sorry

No problem. What you posted is what I found when I went scouring the MAC's website. When it came up, I looked at the menu/header, and it showed "MBB". So, I think it is specific to Basketball and possibly Football.

The MAC used to have the soccer tiebreakers posted, but I can no longer find that information. i don't know when they stopped posting it or changed the tiebreakers. They used to follow soccer-specific tie-breaking procedures that aligned somewhat with the pros. At least they made sense for the sport and number of teams involved. I don't understand why the MAC has gone away from being "transparent". One would certainly hope they have these things written down and agreed-to prior to the start of a season so that there is no consternation in deciding when the time comes. Why would that information then not be made available to the fans? I don't get it.  The B1G doesn't hide theirs...https://bigten.org/news/2019/9/23/2019-mens-soccer-tournament-tiebreaker-procedures.aspx

2019 B1G Men's Soccer Tournament Tiebreaker Procedures

All teams shall be seeded based on the ending Conference standings with 3 points awarded for a win, 1 point for a tie and 0 points for a loss. Ties for seeding will be broken as follows:
A. Head-to-head results
B. Goal difference between goals scored in all Conference games
C. Comparison of total goals scored in all Conference games
D. Best record by points (3-win, 1-tie, 0-loss) versus teams in descending rank order
E. Coin flip.

Edited by Zip_ME87

That was unbelievable. Thanks so much Zips. That match will be remembered as one of the greatest Zips Men's Soccer matches ever. So happy to see our team really hang in there in the face of adversity. 3 goals in 8 minutes! WOW!!! Please, let's build on this. BELIEF. These Zips can do this!!! See you in Morgantown Thursday for the regular season finale.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly when Diogo Pacheco entered the contest late in the second half.  But I can tell you that the offensive tempo increased dramatically.  His impact on the final result cannot be overstated.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly when Diogo Pacheco entered the contest late in the second half.  But I can tell you that the offensive tempo increased dramatically.  His impact on the final result cannot be overstated.

https://gozips.com/sports/mens-soccer/stats/2019/northern-illinois/boxscore/6096

if you click on play by play....for the 2nd half...it shows Pacheco coming in at 68:03 ...for Sammy

Diogo recorded a shot at 68:29

other late game....change....Federico Serra came in at 74:45....for Colin Biros

• Thanks 1

Unbelievable game. Played awesome all game and could not score the goal in which we needed.... and then 3 came at once. 

That was the best I've seen Egbo play.  

With regards tie breaker, I believe based on what has happened previously on the womens side, we should host as #1 seed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YipaZip said:

That was the best I've seen Egbo play.  

I agree, but it was sad at one point when he was lying on the field, in NIU's penalty area, after what he felt was a missed call, and his teammates had to beg him to get up...I heard repeated, "Come on Eggy, we need you." He finally got up and something clicked...he raised his game and did everything he needed to do, except for the stupid yellow card for frustration. David is so talented. If he could get past the drama, I believe he would be one of the greatest D1 NCAA players ever and likely an outstanding professional as well.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, YipaZip said:

With regards tie breaker, I believe based on what has happened previously on the womens side, we should host as #1 seed. 

Hopefully you're right. I don't get why the MAC seemingly hides this information from its fans. Schools, teams, and conferences need to keep their fans engaged. That's how you keep and build a fan base. Fans want to be connected to the sport and their teams.