Transfer Portal

John Ward

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

This would be the death of Mid Majors, especially in hoops.

Any freshman with a breakout first year could get himself an upgrade in his degree without any pain.

I don’t have a problem with this. There are so many athletes that get over looked as they are not hyped up during their high school careers and as a result, they are not heavily recruited and end up somewhere where they shouldn't be . Only to prove they are better than where they landed.When a coach gets hired away from a school he or she doesn't have to sit out a year so why should the athlete.

I'm really not that concerned about Council entering the transfer portal. Our OL was pathetic and new blood is badly needed. That position group needed a culture change and cleaning house may turn out to be a good thing in the long run. Council may have been our best, but if he doesn't want to be here he should go. It will still be a while before the program is rebuilt and wins big (I pray). Until then he only has a little time left and if he wants to experience a winning program he should go somewhere else.

2 hours ago, UA1987 said:

Anytime a starter or heavy contributor enters the transfer portal that is a red flag either on the athlete or the program. Wasn't this guy a captain last year? Seems like he abandoned his team.  

It says he is immediately eligible so he probably just graduated & wants to see if he can get on somewhere a little bigger.  Can’t blame him trying to do better if he is graduated, that’s not bailing

16 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

It says he is immediately eligible so he probably just graduated & wants to see if he can get on somewhere a little bigger.  Can’t blame him trying to do better if he is graduated, that’s not bailing

It is if he waited till now to let the coaches know his intentions.  He could of let them know earlier before signing days so maybe they could of went out and found a servicable Juco player or two to fill in.  To wait until just after the last signing day puts Akron in a difficult situation.

16 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

It is if he waited till now to let the coaches know his intentions.  He could of let them know earlier before signing days so maybe they could of went out and found a servicable Juco player or two to fill in.  To wait until just after the last signing day puts Akron in a difficult situation.

I get what your saying but he is from North Carolina & maybe decided to move closer to home so his parents could see him play.  I don’t know what the reason is but it may not be a reflection of the program or player.  He seems to have been a good member of the Zips family while he was here.  Once you graduate it is your prerogative to transfer if you wish.  There is a lot of that going on right now if you watch closely.  

10 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I get what your saying but he is from North Carolina & maybe decided to move closer to home so his parents could see him play.  I don’t know what the reason is but it may not be a reflection of the program or player.  He seems to have been a good member of the Zips family while he was here.  Once you graduate it is your prerogative to transfer if you wish.  There is a lot of that going on right now if you watch closely.  

I understand all that and I wish him well, it just seems to me that if his intent all along was to transfer, why not let coaching staff know earlier.

2 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

I understand all that and I wish him well, it just seems to me that if his intent all along was to transfer, why not let coaching staff know earlier.

Anyway, I agree with roo72 at some level.  This should give some of our other players an opportunity.  The coaches were going to have to make changes anyway from last year on the OL.  Unfortunately, I think Council was the best, most versatile O-lineman we had last year and the only one that had a lock on starting this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LZIp said:

Based on the article, maybe we bring them into the MAC for football since they will soon be playing as an independent.

4 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Based on the article, maybe we bring them into the MAC for football since they will soon be playing as an independent.

To balance things out, do you bring in potentially the two worst D-1 football programs in the nation in UMass and UConn?

I'd expect the MAC to be happy with its present membership. There's no need to add conference boat anchors. And there's no way UConn allows their hoops team to go on the road and play in MAC arenas as compensation us accommodating their football program.

• Like 2

This is good news for us. We lost a lot of talent at WR, which was probably the position we were deepest at last season. I'd expect Williams to be a bigger part of the offense this season than what he was the 4 games he played last season. Hopefully we have a o-line that can actually block that way we get the ball out to our playmakers in open space.

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

To balance things out, do you bring in potentially the two worst D-1 football programs in the nation in UMass and UConn?

I'd expect the MAC to be happy with its present membership. There's no need to add conference boat anchors. And there's no way UConn allows their hoops team to go on the road and play in MAC arenas as compensation us accommodating their football program.

My angle was mainly to get some sort of deal for games against UConn in basketball, not so much to get more horrible football teams added to the MAC.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:43 PM, LZIp said:

Actually, I am hoping that several of Bowden's recruits who are not FBS talent and will never contribute to the Zips will join the transfer portal.  I am not trying to be cold, but at this level, you have to earn a division 1 scholarship.  We are not obligated to give every person a scholarship.  Akron is not USC.  

Regarding Council, I think the Zips will miss him big time.  Even though the line was weak, he was one of two returning starters that could contribute on the line.  It is not good to have 3-4 young linemen starting in a year.  I think Art has some good young talent, but it is rare that 1st and 2nd year players can contribute on the OL.  The youth will have to step up.

As for Dre Williams, he walked out on the team.  I would never let him back.  Good bye.

2 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Actually, I am hoping that several of Bowden's recruits who are not FBS talent and will never contribute to the Zips will join the transfer portal.  I am not trying to be cold, but at this level, you have to earn a division 1 scholarship.  We are not obligated to give every person a scholarship.  Akron is not USC.  

Regarding Council, I think the Zips will miss him big time.  Even though the line was weak, he was one of two returning starters that could contribute on the line.  It is not good to have 3-4 young linemen starting in a year.  I think Art has some good young talent, but it is rare that 1st and 2nd year players can contribute on the OL.  The youth will have to step up.

As for Dre Williams, he walked out on the team.  I would never let him back.  Good bye.

Akron is already below the 85 scholarship count. I believe we could have another 25 scholarship class this season and we'd still be below. If nothing else those Bowden guys can provide depth until they trickle off the roster.

• Like 1