Transfer Portal

John Ward

7 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Looking at Brandon Council’s Twitter it looks like he has received offers from Auburn, Missouri, Rutgers, USC, Texas Tech, Houston, Indiana, Illinois, Baylor so far

Congrats, Brandon! But I've got to admit I'm a little confused by this... he's that good?  What's up?  What's the thinking with all these programs?  Maybe bring in a mature guy who they can plug right in to be an insurance policy/solid backup to give their younger linemen a year to develop? 

• Like 1

We didn't let him get away. He ran away. Did you forget we were 0-12? That explains everything. Why stay for a rebuilding program that will be thrilled to win 4-5 games when he can use his limited eligibility to play for a P5 program that is used to wining and putting 10's of thousands of butts in the stands. Seems simple to me. He might have loved the team but he also deserves to enjoy big time football if he can. Good luck Brandon.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

We didn't let him get away. He ran away. Did you forget we were 0-12? That explains everything. Why stay for a rebuilding program that will be thrilled to win 4-5 games when he can use his limited eligibility to play for a P5 program that is used to wining and putting 10's of thousands of butts in the stands. Seems simple to me. He might have loved the team but he also deserves to enjoy big time football if he can. Good luck Brandon.

I see where your coming from but in life you cant and wont always play or work for the top teams or companies . You cant jump ship your whole life. Be part of something special . Don't give up on your teammates. You don't quit your family.  

It’s not jumping ship! Council gave this University all 4 years! He has two years of eligibility left. He is also grad transferring, that is way different from a regular transfer. I just checked his Twitter those are definitely full ride scholarships. They even flew his mom out there to Baylor. He was one of the best O-lineman to come through Akron and he punished people on the field on Saturdays. If you ask me this conference was probably too easy and he wanted to show his talent on a bigger stage. I’m surprised we even got him in 2016! I’m excited to watch this kid on Saturdays wherever school he chooses to pick.

Edited by Zip master

Not necessarily transfer portal related as they aren't there, but looking at the spring roster compared to the 2019 roster, the following players are missing that should be there:

Landon Forman (OL)

Jonathan Neeley (OL)

Tyler Gilchrist (DB)

George Qualls (WR) is our only JUCO signee not currently on the roster.

We are now down 3 Senior OL's we thought we'd have coming into the season. 2 of the 3 may not be a big loss considering what they've contributed so far in their career. I sure hope this staff knows something about the situation that we don't.

Edited by LZIp

15 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Not necessarily transfer portal related as they aren't there, but looking at the spring roster compared to the 2019 roster, the following players are missing that should be there:

Landon Forman (OL)

Jonathan Neeley (OL)

Tyler Gilchrist (DB)

George Qualls (WR) is our only JUCO signee not currently on the roster.

We are now down 3 Senior OL's we thought we'd have coming into the season. 2 of the 3 may not be a big loss considering what they've contributed so far in their career. I sure hope this staff knows something about the situation that we don't.

From what I understand the staff took several scholarships last year of players they didn’t think was D1 football players or not good students/teammates and has done it again this year.  Not sure of exact number & don’t know if they will release it at some point but I guess we are working with 65-70 scholarships.  Which is extremely low but what I hear is they are trying to get this talent to D1 across the board with competition at every position where as we was at a significant drop off after our 1’s.  I admit this doesn’t make sense to me but I heard it from players.

If true we could be at least 1 more year away before being competitive.  Not winning but competitive.  Just my opinion 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 7:45 PM, 94zipgrad said:

From what I understand the staff took several scholarships last year of players they didn’t think was D1 football players or not good students/teammates and has done it again this year.  Not sure of exact number & don’t know if they will release it at some point but I guess we are working with 65-70 scholarships.  Which is extremely low but what I hear is they are trying to get this talent to D1 across the board with competition at every position where as we was at a significant drop off after our 1’s.  I admit this doesn’t make sense to me but I heard it from players.

If true we could be at least 1 more year away before being competitive.  Not winning but competitive.  Just my opinion 

Maybe the 2020 season will be canceled and we can just move to 2021 where we might be competitive.? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 3:11 PM, kreed5120 said:

This is good news for us. We lost a lot of talent at WR, which was probably the position we were deepest at last season. I'd expect Williams to be a bigger part of the offense this season than what he was the 4 games he played last season. Hopefully we have a o-line that can actually block that way we get the ball out to our playmakers in open space.

Williams walked away from the team last year when he lost his position to better talent. We could have used him late in the season due to injuries if he had stuck it out. If he’s the type of guy who walks away instead of working hard to get back in the game, I’d prefer he keep walking. If he’s back now it’s only because no one else picked him up, not because he has a newfound love for all things Zippy. 

• Thanks 1